Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

league 1 wage Bills?

An interesting theme to consider. Does anyone know what the  typical league 1 player wage bills are? If we go down and have amass clearout it will give us the opportunity to buy lowere league players and youngsrsters on a fraction of the wage of our team of over paid underperformers. On a serious note we pay £8.8 million a season. I would guess that the  typical league 1 outfil pays a third or less of that figure

Isn''t this exactly where we went wrong upon relegation from the Premiership though? we released the better players at the earliest opportunity to free up wages and we very quickly ended up with a run of the mill Championship team.The reason we could not challenge for re-promotion was that by the end of the first season back in the Champs we had lost nearly all our Prem quality players.To do the same upon entering division 3 would be utter madness.To advocate ditching all our better players and reducing the ''wage bill'' is accepting and preparing for life in the third division.Archant, Gunn, Doncaster and anyone else at the club can bleat all they like about the fans getting behind the team yet making no effort to gain re-promotion back to the Championship next year will be self defeatism of the highest level, unfortunately history tells us that a long time loss for a short term gain is exactly Delia Smith and Neil Doncasters preferred strategy. Expect the worst!!If the club concentrate on reducing the wage bill instead of gaining promotion then we are in a more perilous financial state than they would have us believe. They should take the hit and make a loss for at least one year fielding a Championship quality team (arguable) out each week in the third division. If we don''t get promoted fine at least we''ve maximised our chances for the first year.If we just release and sell all the high earners with the obvious exception of Jamie No Goals Cureton then we are inviting failure.We will be doing what Southampton have had to do this year except we''ll be doing it one league lower and the Southampton youth will always be one year ahead of us.NCFC Budgeting for relegation since 2005.........

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]An interesting theme to consider. Does anyone know what the  typical league 1 player wage bills are? If we go down and have amass clearout it will give us the opportunity to buy lowere league players and youngsrsters on a fraction of the wage of our team of over paid underperformers. On a serious note we pay £8.8 million a season. I would guess that the  typical league 1 outfil pays a third or less of that figure[/quote]

Thought I read somewhere that the average Championship wage was £5k and £2 for League 1 but I could be wrong.

I understand that all our players have a clause in their contract that they have to accept a wage cut if we''re relegated but I wouldn''t want to guess what percentage that would be.

We hav been consistantly shopping in the wrong place for players and paying way over the odds with player wages. Look at Doncaster run on a shoestring and now won 8 out of the last 10, nearly all the squad signed from the lower leagues. There will a hoste of good league 2 and 1 players that would give their right arms to play for a club like Norwich. when we talk about getting rid of players when we last gor relegated dont forget that ashton and Mc Kenzie made their names in league 1. Money apart we do not want to satrt league 1 with average championship players unless they are up for the fight  and want to stay at the club

We might have a clause reducing the players'' wages if we go down, but how many players have clauses allowing them to leave?Croft will leave without a doubt, and if they are allowed to go I can see Marshall, Clingan, Hoolahan and Cort following him.

I think it is quite difficult to come up with "typical" figures for League One.  My understanding is that Colchester''s wage bill for this season is over £3m but how much over I do not know.  Many clubs - and I''m guessing Yeovil might be one - probably don''t reach two million.

Because there are no big stars in League One they tend to be paid according to their age so someone with a very young side would have a comparitively small bill - by the same token someone with four decent strikers aged 28/29 would probably have a much higher bill.  There are certainly players of that age range on well over £100,000 a year.  The average salary for League One (across all age groups) was around about £70k a year but that survey was three years ago.  The top strikers then were averaging over £90,000 a year in 2006.

It is also skewed every year by clubs coming down into the League - at least some of them are paying a number of players Championship wages for one season. in the hope of getting straight back up. 

Colchester are supposedly one of the best payers in the Division (according to other clubs when we have competed against them to sign someone) and I''ve also read that Peterborough can be quite generous if the player suits them.

Similarly the drip down effect of players wages, expectations has hit League One in the last few years.  Colchester have had to pay £700k for one player and close on £600k for another.  This sort of figure was unheard of even five years ago.

Hopefully none of this will bother you - you''ve still got eleven games to play and there will be twists and turns with other clubs as well.