Sign in to follow this  
Alex Harvey-Jones

Fotheringham - A disgrace

I was listening to canary call after the match on the long drive back to Northampton and was surprised to hear a caller say that the crowds treatment of Fozzy was a disgrace because he wasn'' the worst player out there. For me this had nothing to do with his skill but his commitment. Fozzy is the captain of a team fighting for it''s life yet he just couldn''t be bothered. He ambled around the centre circle, didn''t get stuck in at all and most of the time looked half hearted and not overly bothered. This, quite frankly, is poor from any player...but the captain??? We need players who are up for the fight and are prepared to fight - Fozzy is neither.

I was disappointed as well by his reaction. Ok i''m sure it wasn''t nice being booed and cheered off but to walk straight down the tunnel as captain and not stay on the bench to support the team is also unforgivable......

To be honest I hope Fozzy never plays for the team again....Russel or Pattison at least show some fight, some guts and some passion!!!

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"]

I was listening to canary call after the match on the long drive back to Northampton and was surprised to hear a caller say that the crowds treatment of Fozzy was a disgrace because he wasn'' the worst player out there. For me this had nothing to do with his skill but his commitment. Fozzy is the captain of a team fighting for it''s life yet he just couldn''t be bothered. He ambled around the centre circle, didn''t get stuck in at all and most of the time looked half hearted and not overly bothered. This, quite frankly, is poor from any player...but the captain??? We need players who are up for the fight and are prepared to fight - Fozzy is neither.

I was disappointed as well by his reaction. Ok i''m sure it wasn''t nice being booed and cheered off but to walk straight down the tunnel as captain and not stay on the bench to support the team is also unforgivable......

To be honest I hope Fozzy never plays for the team again....Russel or Pattison at least show some fight, some guts and some passion!!!

[/quote]

But Gunny favours him over Pattison, our top scoring midfielder. That''s the real disgrace.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"]

[/quote]

But Gunny favours him over Pattison, our top scoring midfielder. That''s the real disgrace.

[/quote] Yes that is a disgrace - clearly Fozzy and Clingan are not great together and why Gunn persists with Fozzy I will never know. Grant said that Fozzy had skill on the ball when he signed - I see little skill there and with it no commitment.

I''m split on it.

On the one hand, he isn''t good enough to be a regular in the team, and his continuous, mysterious nailed-on place in the team is a source of amazement to all.

However, I don''t think he''s an awful player, or that he particularly lacks effort any more than the next woeful individual currently disgracing the shirt. He''s just an average L1 player playing poorly even by that standard who by no fault of his own has been put on a pedestal by successive managers. I think that is why he receives such a mauling from fans all the time. It''s not so much that he''s playing abysmally, it''s just that he''s playing abysmally AND he''s still back in every week. The protest is against the manager picking favourites regardless rather than the individual himself. This has been the route of all the previous booing targets. Hughes, Doherty, Sutch, Robinson have all been booed, but I don''t think it''s the players that are the actual target of the frustration, just the decision by the manager to keep them in regardless.

I thought he was awful yesterday but I also think he is one of the few that do care. He''s totally lost all confidence, which is why he''s wandering around in a stupor, but I think it does matter to him when we lose, he just lacks the presence to inspire others because his own game is so weak.

The only players who deserve to be labelled a disgrace are those that slag off the club or fans, go on strike or who openly can''t be bothered. As tempting as it is right now to accuse the players of not trying, I don''t think that''s the case. We are just unfortunate to have a squad of untalented and weak-minded individuals who can''t rise to the occasion when needed.

When I first started following Norwich City Duncan Forbes was Captain. He was leader. 100% commited. I remember him banging in a header against Aston Villa with a broken nose and a blood spattered shirt as Norwich went on to win 5 - 3. His clenched fist celebration that followed ooozed with passion. I guess through the years we have been spoilt with great captains and true leader/generals on the pitch. Duncan Forbes for me set the standard. The attitude and commitment of those that have followed has been superb. Not all of them have been the greatest players on the pitch but they were leaders, who stood tall, refused to hide, encouraged others, and were a driving force and ultimately an example to those around them. The like of Martin Peters, Mick McQuire, Dave Watson, Steve Bruce, Jon Newsome, all come to mind.

Mark Fotheringham. Does not really fit the bill does he. It''s not his fault. He was given the job. I suppose he did not have to take it, but at the end of the day he just is not captain material. Where we are at, at this moment in time, we need leaders. Sadly we''ve hardly got any at the club, if any at all. When our ''captain'' is strolling around like he can''t be bothered like on Saturday and not driving the team on, what hope have we got. At how many others clubs is the captain subsituted on a regular basis? We were promised hero''es, they better hurry up!

There were two muppets behind me in the Snakepit yesterday who took all of three minutes and 1 poor pass to boo Fozzy. I''m sorry, but that''s disgraceful treatment of any player in the yellow and green.

The crowd reaction aside, what I find very irritating is every week players like fotheringham popping up in the EDP and Official site talking about "We are all in this together", "its down to us" or whatever else they say before turning up on the pitch and doing an absolutely useless performance

I agree with the caller yesterday, I don''t rate fotheringham but acusing him of not trying is off the mark! the crowd reaction was wrong! If it were me i''d of walked down the tunnel sticking two fingers up out the door and not come back! one player does not deserve to be singled out!

[/quote]

The player doesn''t give a F**K about this club. He doesn''t show the passion or commitment that should be a prerequisite for wearing the City shirt. His recent performances have improved slightly but that is only because he is out of contract at the end of the season and is desperate for a new deal. Clueless Bryan Gunn has to take some of the blame for the current shambles continuing. Nothing has changed since Rodent.

Good job Fozzy isn''t on a longer contract.

That''s 2 of us driving  back to Northampton!!

I agree he shouldn''t even be in the squad at QPR we need fighters not quitters!!

[quote user="Rupethebear"]

That''s 2 of us driving  back to Northampton!!

I agree he shouldn''t even be in the squad at QPR we need fighters not quitters!!

[/quote] should have his contract torn up and be arrested for impersonating a footballer..end of story

Agree completely. I said a while back he is one of the worst central midfielders ever to play for NCFC and he does nothing to change my opinion. He should never play again and if he does then that assures me Gunn is way out of his depth and doesn''t have a clue what he''s doing.

28/2/09 The day the final nail went in the coffin!

I cant understand how Fozzy can get in the team ahead of Pattison. There was a moment in the first half when Croft and Semmy broke, the ball came inside to Fozzy on the edge of the box and he made a complete mess of it and a promising move that should have resulted in at least a shot on goal ended up with him making a 2 yard pass straight to there defender. It was truly appalling and i thought at the time had that been Pattison we''d have seen a shot or maybe a penalty. The last time i saw Pattison at home he was on the edge of the box on two occasions, hit the post on one and won a penalty on the other.

[quote user="Grant Taylor"]russel has been absoultly terrible recently and i think i would have clingan and pattison in centre mid wot do you think ?[/quote]Anyone apart from Fotheringham.Maybe it''s slightly harsh on him. I wouldn''t look so harshly upon him if it wasn''t the fact that he''s the captain, and he seems to think he''s good enough, capable, and respected enough to be one. Yet his performances suggest he needs a captain to turn to himself.

well im sure being booed by a ground full of people is not nice, but if i was on 5k a week then i wouldnt let it get to me too much.

[quote user="Barclayman artist formerly known as Barclayboy"]I cant understand how Fozzy can get in the team ahead of Pattison. There was a moment in the first half when Croft and Semmy broke, the ball came inside to Fozzy on the edge of the box and he made a complete mess of it and a promising move that should have resulted in at least a shot on goal ended up with him making a 2 yard pass straight to there defender.

It was truly appalling and i thought at the time had that been Pattison we''d have seen a shot or maybe a penalty. The last time i saw Pattison at home he was on the edge of the box on two occasions, hit the post on one and won a penalty on the other.

[/quote]

Pattison, while probably not being the answer, has got the pace to get around the pitch and to make things happen. He can drive forward. Fotheringham can''t do it.

I''m sure if Pattison was Scottish and said all the right things to all the right people then he''d be in the team.

[/quote]

He''s a p!ie of sh!te and deserves all the stick he gets. Half the team were dispatched after a no show at Plymouth last season. How that waste of space has remained at Carrow Road after so many shocking no-shows beggars belief.

Fozzy is clearly a decent bloke and to be fair to him he does at least try and looks like he''s genuinely upset when we lose. BUT:1. He''s not good enough.2. I have been deeply unhappy about him being our captain since it emerged he was only prepared to sign a 1 year deal - what kind of message does that send out!3. Him and Clingan are too similar. We need Russelof Pattison alongside Clingan as they get up and down the pitch more.4. His pathetic attempt at a challenge in the lead up to their first goal yesterday was a joke. He could very easily have cleared it but wimped out, lost the ball, it was passed straight to Bell and they scored. I blame him entirely for that goal.Tuesday is a test for Gunn. he must be ruthless and Fozzy must NOT start.