Sign in to follow this  
Kim Briscoe

Why you should cheer not jeer and Cureton gets a special cake.......

Let''s get behind the Canaries and help pull them clear of relegation.

That''s the rallying cry today as the Evening News launches a campaign to urge readers to do their bit to help Norwich City Football Club stave off the dreaded drop.

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=NewsSplash&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=NewsSplash&itemid=NOED27%20Feb%202009%2015%3A00%3A35%3A377

Kim Briscoe,

Reporter (and Lower Barclay season ticket holder)

kim.briscoe@archant.co.uk

Of course every Norwich City fan would love to Cheer on the team today ( apart from Smudger) but at the end of the day the club put themselves in this position, not the fans.People are asking for special support now that the club are where they are, but haven''t the fans been behind the team all season, and for every season now?

[quote user="Kim Briscoe"]

Let''s get behind the Canaries and help pull them clear of relegation.That''s the rallying cry today as the Evening News launches a campaign to urge readers to do their bit to help Norwich City Football Club stave off the dreaded drop.

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=NewsSplash&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=NewsSplash&itemid=NOED27%20Feb%202009%2015%3A00%3A35%3A377

Kim Briscoe,

[/quote](shakes head)Oh Kim Briscoe...For years we have been watching the decline of our team on the pitch.  For years, Archant has had the opportunity to grill the people in control of the club as to why they can''t appoint a decent manager or free up sufficient funds to enable the club to compete on the pitch.  Time after time your company ducks this issue and fails to ask the hard questions, cosying up to the club instead of holding it to account.Shame on you for this feeble campaign, and shame on your organisation for abdicating its community responsibilities in this way.I will be supporting the team on the pitch today as I have for the last eight seasons.  I don''t need a rallying cry from a lame duck newspaper thanks all the same.

So basically, booing affects the players and cheering encourages them, according to a psychologist.

Erm...thanks.  I never realised that!

[quote user="MonkeyTrousers"][quote user="Kim Briscoe"]

Let''s get behind the Canaries and help pull them clear of relegation.That''s the rallying cry today as the Evening News launches a campaign to urge readers to do their bit to help Norwich City Football Club stave off the dreaded drop.

Kim Briscoe,

[/quote](shakes head)Oh Kim Briscoe...For years we have been watching the decline of our team on the pitch.  For years, Archant has had the opportunity to grill the people in control of the club as to why they can''t appoint a decent manager or free up sufficient funds to enable the club to compete on the pitch.  Time after time your company ducks this issue and fails to ask the hard questions, cosying up to the club instead of holding it to account.Shame on you for this feeble campaign, and shame on your organisation for abdicating its community responsibilities in this way.I will be supporting the team on the pitch today as I have for the last eight seasons.  I don''t need a rallying cry from a lame duck newspaper thanks all the same.[/quote]What a great answer MonkeyTrousers.[Y]

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="MonkeyTrousers"][quote user="Kim Briscoe"]

Kim Briscoe,

[/quote](shakes head)Oh Kim Briscoe...For years we have been watching the decline of our team on the pitch.  For years, Archant has had the opportunity to grill the people in control of the club as to why they can''t appoint a decent manager or free up sufficient funds to enable the club to compete on the pitch.  Time after time your company ducks this issue and fails to ask the hard questions, cosying up to the club instead of holding it to account.Shame on you for this feeble campaign, and shame on your organisation for abdicating its community responsibilities in this way.I will be supporting the team on the pitch today as I have for the last eight seasons.  I don''t need a rallying cry from a lame duck newspaper thanks all the same.[/quote]What a great answer MonkeyTrousers.[Y]I''ll second that...

[/quote]

[quote user="braham"]Wow 8 whole years![/quote]

At least he''s done it! its so easy to take a cheap shot when you''ll never achieve the same!

And if you go to games braham, you pay cash to watch him play.........hmm? who''s the fool?[:|]

Kim Briscoe,

[/quote]

Oh yeah - all the problems will be solved by getting the fans to get behind the team (again) and make more noise. We''ve been doing that a lot longer than we''ve been aware of you - so thanks for that very ''twelfth mannish'' urging. Delia will be pleased and extra helpings in the Brasserie for you.Why doesn''t Archant launch a campaign to start an investigative journalism section in your (news)paper. Rather than being an extension to the clubs publicity department.

Why is everything in that article in the past tense? "Was hoping to make his 100th appearance.... Was hoping for a goal today.... Was hoping to add to his tally......"?Should they all not be "Is"?Or am I missing something? [^o)]

[quote user="Clipped Canary"]Why is everything in that article in the past tense? "Was hoping to make his 100th appearance.... Was hoping for a goal today.... Was hoping to add to his tally......"?Should they all not be "Is"?Or am I missing something? [^o)][/quote]Not missing as much as Jamie is!

[quote user="MonkeyTrousers"][quote user="Kim Briscoe"]

Kim Briscoe,

[/quote]

(shakes head)Oh Kim Briscoe...For years we have been watching the decline of our team on the pitch.  For years, Archant has had the opportunity to grill the people in control of the club as to why they can''t appoint a decent manager or free up sufficient funds to enable the club to compete on the pitch.  Time after time your company ducks this issue and fails to ask the hard questions, cosying up to the club instead of holding it to account.Shame on you for this feeble campaign, and shame on your organisation for abdicating its community responsibilities in this way.I will be supporting the team on the pitch today as I have for the last eight seasons.  I don''t need a rallying cry from a lame duck newspaper thanks all the same.[/quote][Y] top stuff, couldn''t put it better myself.

[quote user="Kim Briscoe"]“If the crowd clap and cheer a simple sideways pass this can impact on confidence"[/quote]Fozzy will be walking on air by 4:50pm then...

Let''s get behind the Canaries and help pull them clear of relegation.

That''s the rallying cry today as the Evening News launches a campaign to urge readers to do their bit to help Norwich City Football Club stave off the dreaded drop.

Kim Briscoe,

[/quote]

I am as cynical about this corny campaign as the next man, but....sad as it is this is the kind of thing that actually seems to work for many of those who would prefer to sit there in silent desperation waiting for permission to join in the booing. Amazingly they have to be told to make an effort and get behind their team by a media campaign.  In days of old there would have been spontaneous and defiant choruses of ''loyal supporters'' from the barclay as a rallying cry in hard times, but in these times, as cringeworthy as it is, I think this campaign is needed. Just wait for the little green and yellow squares to be handed out.

Poor Jamie, I''m sure that cake has been in Linzer''s window for about 3 years!

[quote user="Scottlarock"].......so what have Archant got planned for the second stage of this remarkable campaign?

[/quote]

"Norwich need you to sing a little louder" followed by " sing a little more louder if you dont mind" the following week. Wow this campaigns been a success, we do our part every week but does anybody else?

what a load of rubbish archant - we have one of the highest attendances in the league.

i wish the media and the club would stop blaming fans when we''re the ones turning up every week. how many player;s really turned up today? they couldn''t be bloody bothered

the media only say stuff like this to try and provoke sales anyway...

[quote user="JJ"]

I''d like to shove that bloody cake in his face right now! [:@]

[/quote]Wouldn''t we all [:@]....

[quote user="JJ"]

I''d like to shove that bloody cake in his face right now! [:@]

[/quote]

That''s overly cruel. The poor little soul will be so distraught tonight about those misses that he wont know what to do to spend this weeks 5K

Could I suggest going to spec savers

Well, Kim Briscoe... what''s in line for Stage 2?Perhaps it was the fans'' fault we lost yesterday.  We didn''t sing loud enough?  Didn''t applaud enough sideways passing? Meanwhile you''ll carry on your conveyor belt of player PR soundbites..."We''ll do it for the fans""We owe the fans one"Try doing some actual journalism for a change. Ask the tough questions.  Get in there where it hurts.

Kim

Please don''t take this as a personal insult to yourself, but perhaps you could pass this message on to the rest of your Archant colleagues in the Sports section and Editorial team.

We, the fans, do our bit, some of us cheer and jeer louder than others, when we all feel it necessary to do so. Speaking for myself, I was singing yesterday non stop. Large sections of the game only a handful of people were singing. Match after match after match the performances don''t get better and fans get disillusioned, lose their belief that the team can get better. We all know the fate which is about to befall the club.

We don''t need the local press to splash this hysterical stuff on the front pages. Are you the Daily Mail in disguise? If I can make one suggestion, that you, as journalists do what journalists are supposed to do and that''s do some investigation.

Why did the Turners leave?

Why have the board only recently been looking for investment?

Why do the players keep coming up with fine words every week in your papers but not respond with same on the pitch?

What are the real facts surrounding the summer stories re Peter Cullum?

When you can come up with some real answers to any of this, you never know, I might actually buy one of your papers.

Apparently this psychologist bloke doesn''t want us to bother turning to matches anyway. He mentioned in his ''article'' that as there''s 25,000 fans there, City aren''t much likely to win? Looks like we''ll get plenty of more points next season when the crowds dwindle. Oh wait, that''ll be because we''ll have been relegated this year & are playing inferior opposition.

Archant reporters? Shocking.

[quote user="Buckethead"]Stuff Curetons cake, he''s already had more than enough bites of the cherry.[/quote]

I can''t fault Jamie for commitment, but he''ll need a cake for 100 missed sitters soon...

PS patronising campaign, no doubt launched on a matchday to boost sales.

"Over the next few weeks we will be highlighting just how important it is that Norwich City avoid relegation - and why your support to help them do so is absolutely vital and how it can help make a difference."

Everyone knows how important it is, we''ve known for three seasons now - but there''s little we can do about it. Buying an extra mug won''t help at this stage, this year. Sing, clap and cheer, yes, but that will come naturally from good shows on the pitch - we don''t need to be told.

The rest of the season is now in the hands of the players more than anyone else and they really need to work at it, like no other time in their careers - otherwise they''ll make history for the wrong reasons.