Sign in to follow this  
Fish eye view

3-4-1-2 anyone?

We have the same trouble as Roeder had with Huckerby - the left midfield.  If we play Hollihan on the left he drifts in to the midfield leaving the left flank bear.  It is not surprising most successful attacks come down that side.  We do not have a strong enough left back to cope.  So three at the back (chance to drop Otsemebor?) four in midfield and Hollihan with the free role in the hole behind the strikers. Gives a chance for a natural left sided midfielder - anyone say Lappin ( a decent human being according to Roeder) to toughen up left side and Hoolihan a chance to do some real damage.

Our defending is bad enough with 4 defenders.....losing one would be commiting sin!

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]I''m thinking more

1-5-4

Marshall

Doherty

Croft
Clingan
Russell
Pattison
Hoolahan

Cureton
Daley
Cort
Gow
[/quote]

Reminds me of good old worthy, in times of need he would chuck 4 strikers on and have the defenders hoof the ball up to them. Miraculously it sometimes worked.

But I don''t think Cureton should be invited to the party. He''s had his cake ............

[quote user="book end"]

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]I''m thinking more1-5-4MarshallDohertyCroftClinganRussellPattisonHoolahanCuretonDaleyCortGow[/quote]

Reminds me of good old worthy, in times of need he would chuck 4 strikers on and have the defenders hoof the ball up to them. Miraculously it sometimes worked.

But I don''t think Cureton should be invited to the party. He''s had his cake ............

[/quote]I''d swap Hoolahan for Cureton & put Carney as left wing-back.I''d love to see Beau''s (or whoever! don''t fight!) sweeper system given a go, though.

Let''s go for something new;              Marshall                 Doc  Semmy              Berty              ClinkersCroft                     Patti                                                                    Fotheringham (running sideways >)      Gow     Hoolahan                                                                                       (and passing backwards ^)          Grounds

I agree with the idea of Hollihan with the free role in the hole behind the strikers, but I prefer 4 defenders, so my idea is 4-3-1-2 or, giving that we have strong midfielders but average strikers, we could play 4-4-1-1 with only Carl Cort upfront, Hoolihan behind him and Croft-Clingan-Carney (or another left midfielder) behind Hoolihan.

I think Berty at Otsemabor could well play wing backs, Grounds Doc and Shacks as 3 CBs, Clingan and Patter provide energy in the middle, Hoolahan behind two strikers.