Sign in to follow this  
Erik the Viking

Roeder would have kept us up.............

Gunn is chosing exactly the same players in the same formation and has even targetted the same loan players because he was the cheif scout.

His thinking is too similar.  We have lost ground by not appointing a manager with any experience whatsoever and a back up team of proven failures or equal inexperience. 

Firing Roder was of course the right decision,but hiring Gunn to replace him was quite the most ridiculously bad one this board have ever made (and that''s saying something!).

I have absolutely no doubt that this Club have a squad of players capable of keeping us in this div at the very least. Trouble is ,they have also got a bunch of idiots as a Board,an arrogant,mindless CEO,a clueless manager,and inexperienced coaching staff who pick/motivate completely the wrong tactics/team from that squad.

We are DEFINITELY going down. Get used to it,folks.

[quote user="Gazza"]I know it is not going to be popular in saying this but IMO I believe Roeder would have made a better fist of keeping us up than Bryan. Total ass yes and not a gent like B Gunn but  certainly a better football manager and would have def returned more than an apalling 4 out of 21 points![/quote]

Obviously we''ll never know whether he would or wouldn''t have kept us up.  Was it the right decision to get rid of him?  After the dreadful run of results culminating in that truly awful FA Cup performance, yes, in my opinion, it certainly was.  But, frankly, whoever took over was in an almost impossible situation because the damage had been done over several seasons of "prudence with absolutely no ambition" resulting in a threadbare squad, half of whom didn''t belong to us anyway, totally devoid of any belief, confidence and, in many cases, ability.  It would have taken an absolute miracle to have turned things around and we are now reaping the rewards of what the Board have sown.

[quote user="Gazza"]I know it is not going to be popular in saying this but IMO I believe Roeder would have made a better fist of keeping us up than Bryan. Total ass yes and not a gent like B Gunn but  certainly a better football manager and would have def returned more than an apalling 4 out of 21 points![/quote]

We were going down anyway thanks to Roeder making a pigs ear of managing this club. There is not a shred of evidence that Roeder would''ve turned it around, our results over the season (and in fact the back end of the last season) were relegation form pure and simple. We would have almost surely been beaten by Barnsley because of the poisonous athmosphere, so you can wipe off 3 points from our meagre total to start with, doubt very much we would have gained points at Donny and Wolves. More than likely we would now be bottom.

You would''ve thought Bryan with the help of the other 3 amigos would''ve done better but it was not to be, the problems just run too deep now and it''s relegation for us. I don''t think anyone could''ve saved us after the damage that book end Roeder did. At least Gunny is a gent and if anyone is to be at the helm as the ship goes down then I would rather it was him not some arrogant, petty minded, vindictive, spiteful s.o.b.

IBA - Nice theory but if it is true how come one of the players you mention gets picked every week despite being absolute pants? Personally I think GR had demorolised the players, the one thing that may have kept us up which has been in short supply is investment, whether GR would have spent the money wisely is another matter for speculation. I am sure there was a letter in the EDP to the effect that if the Board had read the biography of Kenny Sansom they would not have appointed GR as manager. If anybody has read the book maybe they could let me/us know what Mr Sansom had to say about Mr Roeder. 

[quote user="IBA"][quote user="1st Wazzock"]I don''t agree - I think he had already lost the dressing room.[/quote]

No he hadn''t. The players were appalled at the removal. Fotheringham, Matty and Bell had immediate meetings with Doncaster and spoke on behalf of the squad in his defence. I know this was the case and something similar was reported as it was leaked by Russell.

Noticed the team selection lately? Ones gone, expect the other three to move on in the summer.
[/quote]

There were strong rumours back in December that Bell was off to Coventry.  The only bit that wasn''t true was that Elliot Ward was coming in the other direction.

[quote user="Potless Percy "]

There were strong rumours back in December that Bell was off to Coventry.  The only bit that wasn''t true was that Elliot Ward was coming in the other direction.

[/quote]At the time of the story it was being negotiated, so to say it didn''t happen is more accurate than to say it wasn''t true

Sorry Gazza, I think Roeder has lost the plot mate, you come into a new club and sack everyone in sight before you even got to know them, by that i mean the backroom staff.....come on , GR sacked everyone from the tea lady right up to the star player ?????? whats that all about, arrogant twit and we are much better off without him (in any league).GR ripped the heart out of this club and we have to rebuild it ,which will take a long time, i wonder what the gates will be like if we do go down ? i still think we will be getting 18 to 20k people turn up to support us, do you think there would hve been that many if GR was still in charge ? No Way.If we go down....and that is IF, it is down to the manager that pulled the guts out of a little canary, and NOT people like Delia on the board who love this club. !

Totally agree, he would of kept us up/...... JustHe had the experience and knowledge and could of picked up the draws / wins when needed. Gunny will be taking us down, not all his fault, as i blame the board for his poor inexperienced appointment. which are the two things that we DID NOT need from the next manager.Best intentions for the club, my arse. More like to sell more season tickets and to keep the majoritory of the fans happy.

Neither would have/will keep us up.

Damage was done upon promotion to the Prem. The Board entered that season with a "budget for relegation" attitude and an "isn''t marvellous little Norwich is here" mentality that was sickening. There was minimal player investment (the likes of Helveg and Jonsson at the end of their careers and played out of position), and the destruction of squad morale by ditching warhorses like Iwan and Malky. Ashton arrived too late.

Then the squad was destroyed again on relegation and while Earnshaw replaced Ashton the defence was left destitute and too many good players allowed to leave. The academy has produced sod all and surely cannot justify its cost when all Worthingyon, Grant and Roeder did was to bring in ever increasing numbers of loan players. The mystifying decision to release Huckerby epitomised the arrogance of the Roeder regime but even he could not make much difference in this team.

This is the key- never before has our future been so utterly dependent on hired hands who can walk away if it goes wrong. Neither Gunn nor Roeder had the materials to work with, the good performances have been the exception rather than the norm. They falsely raise expectations and suggest the squad is better than it is. In reality it is so weak we have no alternative. I never thought I''d see a day again when we got someone like John Hartson on loan at this club. Money had been frittered away in firing backroom staff, paying agents, lining the coffers of unused loanees.

Who takes the flack? Strangely I blame Delia less than Doncaster and the others. Doncaster is the CEO and responsible for the day to day running. He has championed the now-disgraced prudence with ambition policy which has eroded confidence and club infrastructure. He is the guy who makes the recommendations on managerial changes. Grant, Gunn, failing to fire Worthington in time, relying on a backroom staff of old time heroes rather than managerial nous, the waste of the property investment money and the building of a hotel rather than player investment or extra seats.

I really cannot see us escaping this and the CEO is the man I hold accountable. Hard to find a millionaire new owner, easy to find a new CEO.

would he f**k.

The Rodent ripped the heart out of the club and destroyed the squad.

Gunny got the job to sell season tickets. The Board were factoring in relegation when Gunny was appointed.

Its League 1 next year and probably for a few years after that because the current Board have no ambition other than to get their money out.

Forgot to say that in my view Roeder was only able to take advantage of the "honeymoon period" which kept us up. Once we got to "steady sate" under his stewardship things rapidly went downhill as they did with his previous clubs. Bottom line is that things were getting far worse under Roeder who also managed to hack off all the fans as well to an extent which I don''t recall any previous manager having done.

Gunn was a short term appointment which sums up Mr cautious Doncaster, using blind faith to hope it would work.................

Roedernowhere had lost the plot although I''d question if he ever did have the plot while our manager!

He was lucky to last as long as he did and I''m sure we''d of most certainly been relegated had the unpopular one stayed!

Gunn was out best option cause a more expensive supposedly experienced manager (just like Roeder was!) would of ripped the guts out of the club and would of found things equally as hard as what Gunn is!

My critisism of Gunn is that hes fallen into Roeders trap of picking his favourites (Cureton and Fotheringham) instead of the best 11!

Gunn was the worst possible option the only thing he had going for him was he might sell a few more season tickets and once he applied the Board jumped at it , giving Gunn the job cost us any chance we did have of survival 0 wins in 7 and probably 0/9 by Saturday evening .

Thanks gazza, I have been a little more circumspect here since the end of moderation and the rise of the one line abuse merchants. Its been harder to find the good debate and those like yourself who are prepared to exchange views but with the right spirit. I find it terribly sad what is happening now and fear for the club. I feel very gloomy about the outlook.....................

TW

I dont think Roeder would have kept us up. I dont think anybody would have kept us up.

If they did it would be not by skill but by luck.... and then the same posts would reaccur next season.

It does seem like groundhog season.

saturday highlighted the difference a good managerial appointment can make.

coventry stayed up last season by a single point - they were in dire straits much like we were. but look at the difference between the teams this season. coleman has got a solid looking outfit together who are chasing promotion and claiming premiership scalps in the FA cup - we''re falling further behind in the relegation battle and went out of the fa cup to the only team worse than us in the league. the difference between the clubs couldnt be clearer.

i look forward to seeing the board''s next managerial appointment. it had better be good.