Sign in to follow this  
royhollis4

So if we can find one Sammy Clingan

So if we can find one Sammy Clingan in the lower divisions can we find any more.

OK so we all know that Sammy will be off in the summer whether we stay up or go down

and we know we could have got an extra £ 500k if we had let him go in the transfer window,

but we are a selling club (and always have been) and if we could find one Sammy a season we could compete.

There is gold in them there hills ( or Fens), so does the guy who found Sammy and took his share

of the £490k have any more?

He is priceless to our club atm, but I suppose everyone has their price.

If we stay up, we should be bending over backwards to keep him, and probably give him the captains armband as well.

[quote user="Largey"]

He is priceless to our club atm, but I suppose everyone has their price.

[/quote]

Contradicting...

I think Clingan is being artificially overrated because the rest of our team is so poor. Yes he''s done well for us mostly but I honestly think he''s looked better than he is because so few of the other players in our team are up to the standard required.Quite frankly I think this is Sammy''s league. If Fulham want to try him in the Premiership then fine but he''s to slow and will be to weak to cut it. The difference is massive in my opinion. He''s a good Championship play. Not a great one.It''s an indictment of how bad a squad we have that this ok industrious limited battler is touted so highly by our fans. But we''ve all seen better at CR this season from a fair few visitors. It''s just that they don''t stand out so much because the other player in their teams are not so bad.

What a great post. I totally agree.

This is what Norwich used to be about. We might have hated it - loosing good player after good player but if was a great financial model.

Sutton, Fleck, Ashton, Belamy, Eadie.. the list goes on but i can''r be arsed to think too much.

Thats how we made money. We had the eye for a bargin, brought them on and sold them usually at the right time.

We havent got much of a team left that is ours to be able to do that.

Roeder stated way back that he was only going to sign players that could play in the top leagues because that was where he wanted Norwich to be. Being in a top league club does not mean they can play in the top league. We got the wrong players, loan players dont work, older retiring players dont work.... You need to look for players that have hunger. That does mean lower league. If it doesnt work then at least the wage bill is lower. We might get relegated with our team of loanees and old has beens at our financial cost to the club or we might have been relegated with new and exciting prospects with less financial cost.

We have to sell Sammy, Croft. We need the money, they wont want to be here. We need to start again (I am already thinking League 1 - sorry)

I want my team back - someone who is desperate to play for Norwich. If we sell them on in a one or two yrs time for a profit. Thats good financial sense. Norwich is my club, does not matter which division ... as long as we have a club.

The point is not about whether Sammy Clingan is a great player, the point is

about how we compete. Think Andy Townsend, think Tim Sherwood, think

any number of journeymen, average players that we sold at a profit whilst

we kept the gems like Bowen, Culverhouse, Crook etc. to ourselves.

Think about how many players left our club and left their best football behind them.

Flecky, Fash, Reeves etc etc.

Think about the great coaching skills the club had.

That''s how a two bit " hick from the sticks" club nearly ran away the League One title twice.

Arguably 2 of our best buys came from lower divisions (Clingan and Bell), these areas are available at cheaper prices, and we could uncover a great talent, minus the expensive agents fees and silly transfer prices.

the boy daniel fox who scored against us was from walsall i think... defo lower league. now prem teams are after him ... sure there are many more. i like colchesters defender baldwin.

He was sh*te on Saturday. It would be better if we could sign more people like Grounds and actually get Hoolahan to play in the position that he is picked for.

If I was playing against us I''d say attack our left as there is only one man there to beat. Mick midget is costing us games

The point being missed here is how the change in football has utterly shafted the smaller clubs. Yes- we used to sell on at profit and it allowed us to survive. But since then wages have gone through the roof- meaning the fee gained in selling is as nothing compared to the cost of keeping them at the club in the first place. Football is twisted and torn apart by unrealistic salaries and it is killing the game, producing lazy prima donner players who will not fight for the club (loyalty a thing of the past) and clubs that need to either find bags o cash outside of the pitch or a mega rich owner to feed the greedy minor celebrities who pull on a shirt.

Norwich has not been well run for years, and the board have made foolish errors and a change at the top is essential for growth (the sell by date has passed) ...but nothing has kicked clubs like ours more than the corruption in the game. Ironically the prize for promotion in the modern game is a year of struggle, followed by several years of decline (unless the mega rich bail you out). That explains why we are not alone: Ipswich, Bradford, Charlton, Soton, Luton, Leeds, Forest, Man City have all been hit very hard following relegation in recent times. Only one of those has bounced back...they are owned by billionaires.

To be fair to City they were not owned by billionaires when they were in the third tier and still got 35-40K supporters a week following them.

Perhaps they show how a club can recover when the fans do not give up on them.