Sign in to follow this  
Shaun_BoroMania

Jon Grounds

Hello everyone,I''m a Boro fan and editor of boromania.com and was wondering if anyone would mind giving me a little update on how Jonathan Grounds has been getting on? I''ve noticed he has bagged a couple of goals but how has his defensive game been? I saw plenty of him for the reserves earlier this season and he looked very comfortable at centre back but i''m interested in how he is getting on in "real" games.Thanks a lotShaun

[quote user="Shaun_BoroMania"]Hello everyone,I''m a Boro fan and editor of boromania.com and was wondering if anyone would mind giving me a little update on how Jonathan Grounds has been getting on? I''ve noticed he has bagged a couple of goals but how has his defensive game been? I saw plenty of him for the reserves earlier this season and he looked very comfortable at centre back but i''m interested in how he is getting on in "real" games.Thanks a lotShaun[/quote]Can''t defend very well...

He''s absolutely rubbish so the best thing you can do is to leave him here for the rest of the season! [;)]

why not just give him to us on a free?He''s never going to cut it, ever, I promise [:)]

Has had good and bad games both at Left Back and Centre Back.  More prolific in front of goal than most of our strikers!  Don''t think he''s ready for an extended run in your first team yet.

Potential to be a decent CB (not sure about Prem quality), but in favoured LB position I think he''s a little lacking both positionally (which I guess can be coached) but not sure he''ll ever have the attributes going forward for a modern fullback (pace / crossing etc), I reckon a decent CB at bottom Prem / Top of Champs as he nears his peak...I can''t say I''m gutted that he''s going back in all honesty.

Can''t mark. Ok defender but not up to too much.

Shows class more often than not - but that''s not saying much given the standard of most of his present team mates. Tends to ruin his good work with a few careless mistakes. If he could stay any longer I would fully expect him to finish up as a striker. I would say he has the potential to succeed in the Prem with some good coaching and improved concentration - otherwise he''ll always find work in the Championship.

I think he has been a plus point in our season so far, he has scored 3 goals in the last 2 months, very handy for us!

he doesnt play as a tall lad, he wont challenge a header at the back, he lacks a bit of positional ability at the back too. he is quick though, and getting forward for corners he has been effective. He isnt a wingback either and dont expect to see him flying up the win crossing a belter in because he will fail. but he is a reasonable championship player. i will be suprised if he keeps a place in your side.

I think he''s done quite well, like said above, poor positionally at times, maybe down to a lack of focus or concentration, like Southamptons second goal, but is solid, and doesn''t often make mistakes. Has done well at LB got forward quite well against Burnley, in which i thought he was very good. Got a good shot on him too.

He has been playing behind Hoolahan who has never been in the left wing role..he just goes AWOL. It was bad enough for left backs playing with Huckerby in front of them but Hoolahan is a club liability.

I reckon he has been great in a city shirt considering he has had to deal with the entire LHS of the pitch and has looked our best chance of a goal for a while.

hi shaun,,,imo - grounds looks more like a centre back, than a left back, but he lacks experience in the middle posi - often getting caught out and making errors - which have unfortunately led to goals conceeded.  but - he has a touch of class about him,,,and bearing in mind his age, and playing in a relegation haunted side - its not surprising that he''s failed to shine as much as he did in his last spell here in the autumn...at the moment,,,he lacks the physical size and maturity to properly play cb - and to dominate defenders like he should...if he physically matures and gets stronger and bigger in the next couple of years - then i believe he could be a decent defender,,,but at champs level - the prem looks too bigger step up...cheers - lgt...[:D]

Like most young players he lacks consistency and sometimes switches off at key moments, but he has a good attitude, pace and likes a tackle. I think he will become a very fine player and have enjoyed watching him in the yellow and green. Unfortunately he has had the misfortune to play in the worst defence in the division, which hasn''t helped!