Sign in to follow this  
Mr Magoo

Its not all Curetons fault, but........

Would we have more points if he had managed to score even half the oppurtunities that he has missed for us this year, and if so how many extra points would we have?

To be fair it''s not Curetons fault; he genuinly does not appear to have the ability anymore / ever.I think it all depends who we had in place of him. Lita for example, would not only have taken half the chances, but probably created a heck of a lot more as well.To be fair, Roeder knew this and got in the best he could. Lita was a very good signing and its a shame we couldn''t keep him, but i never expected us to, to be honest.In terms of if these chances could have kept us up, i dont know. Say lita scored the one Cureton missed from 2 yards on Saturday. It wouldn''t necessarily mean we''d win. We could have relaxed a bit and conceeded 2 more goals or whatever.This entire season isn''t Cureton''s fault. The entire team have been very poor on too many occasions. Not just defensively and not just taking chances either.

Agree that its not all his fault, just interested to see how many points people think that we woul have had his chances been converted.

He has been hugely disappointing, but we''ve let in 55 goals this season.  Only Charlton are worse.

Has there ever been a season when we''ve had so many poor full-backs as this one?

Nope, it''s not his fault at all.

It''s that pesky leprechaun who keeps moving the goal posts just before he shoots!

[quote user="Mr Magoo"]Would we have more points if he had managed to score even half the oppurtunities that he has missed for us this year, and if so how many extra points would we have?[/quote]There are twentyfour matches played by Norwich this season where one goal would have meant us scoring more points. I take these as being draws or matches we have lost by a single goal the breakdown is a s follows.Draws -9Single goal defeats -15One extra goal in any draw would have represented a gain of two points.One extra goal in any single goal defeat would have represented a gain of one point.I''m sure we can all remember a game where Jamie missing a sitter can be thought of costing us a result but realistically there are twenty four matches in which a Jamie Cureton goal would have earned us an extra point or two. I really can''t be arsed to do the research but I guess JC has missed more than two chances during those of these 24 games in which he played and if he had scored just one of those two chances then the answer to your question is yes.

If JC had a tally of 10 for us this season so far. (10 being approx 35/46 of his 2007-2008 league tally)Then there would be 8 extra goals to divide between the 9 draws, 15 single goal defeats and 11 other matches played.9/35 X 8= 2 goals in drawn matches => +6 points.15/35X 8=3.4 goals in single goal defeats => +3.4 points11/35 x 8= 2.5 goals in other matches which would not affect our points total.Mathematically Jamie Cureton by failing to score 10 goals by this stage of the season  has cost us 9.4 points this season.

However Cureton has not played anywhere near as much this season and wasn''t even involved in a lot of them games...

I do agree though that we could be in a slightly better position if a couple of the sitters, however it is unfair to dump the whole blame on him when he hasn''t played in a lot of the games (he was even at Barnsley for some of them - I wonder if the goals he scored for them will end up biting us in the arse come the end of the season...).

I do think it''s time for a change up front, Cureton is the sort of striker that doesn''t really offer a lot to the overall team performance, other than sticking the chances away - and when strikers of that ilk are not sticking the chances away, there is very little point in them being on the pitch...

On the bright side we know he can score in the league below.......

[quote user="Mr Magoo"]Would we have more points if he had managed to score even half the oppurtunities that he has missed for us this year, and if so how many extra points would we have?
[/quote]

its not all his fault but is mostly his fault. He has cost us about 9 point this season which would make us safe. Marshall has also cost us points recently however he has also made some great saves we as curo has done nothing send his back to barnsley  

But on that basis we could have another 33 points if those single goals had been converted into results.  Even if we had only got 50% we still would be safely away from where we are now.

Point taken, but as David Bell said after the game, if you keep conceding two goals at home, you''re not going to win many games. Those draws and single-goal defeats: how many of them included a really soft goal being given away? Most of them. We''ve scored more than enough goals to be in mid-table. The problem is far deeper-seated than Cureton.

A team like us may create 3 or 4 clear cut goal chances a game. It looks like JC now has to have 6 or 7 chances to give us a goal, and that''s his problem, he''s lost his touch and its cost us game after game. Just have to look at Saturday, on a plate, right in front of goal, no one near him and another missed chance. As for our defence, they are not the best in the world but if the other team don''t have to worry too must about our attack they push on a lot more so our defence has a lot more pressure. Gunny has got to start some else with Cort. Give the lad Daley a start.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="First Wizard"]And if our bloody defenders could defend we''d be in the playoffs by now![/quote]

I just think the whole team bar a few have been shockingly poor this season, and that sadly includes JC.  However we have conceded far too many goals which is a defence and goalie problem.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]And if our bloody defenders could defend we''d be in the playoffs by now![/quote]

I just think the whole team bar a few have been shockingly poor this season, and that sadly includes JC.  However we have conceded far too many goals which is a defence and goalie problem.

[/quote]

How refreshing, the voice of reason finally. All strikers are guilty of missing "sitters", ask Forest supporters about Earnie and Reading supporters about Lita. So unfair to dump the burden of responsibility onto the shoulders of one player. I can''t get to see many matches but one example is this : Reading away, first half - we dominated the game but both Russell and Pattison missed absolute "sitters" - I know because I was right behind the goal and both opps should have been put away. Then, the Loan Ranger flagrantly ignored the obvious and the fans chants and failed to put on Lupoli in the 2nd half to partner Cort. Then, Reading are awarded a highly dubious penalty. Then, whilst the Norwich players are stilling reeling from the injustice of it all Reading score another goal. Oh, and JC wasn''t playing (was he scoring for Barnsley at the time ?!). Who to blame there then ? That having been said, I am reluctantly forced to concede that JC is failing to get his name on the scoresheet too often. He was clearly badly treated by Roeder and Grant before him and his confidence was so badly shot that it does seem now that he will not recover. So, desperate times call for desperate measures and we need to be radical : Daley or MacDonald should be given the chance to partner Cort up front or more attractively a proven striker (Lita or other but who ?!) without  delay.