Sign in to follow this  
James Kent

Cheaper train travel for London/Kent based fans

Looks like the trains are messed up for the next few weeks.

Like me many of you probably went via Cambridge at 41 pounds.

I would like to point out that the journey can be done for 27 pounds simply by buying separate tickets.

I.E:

London Liverpool street to Cambridge

Cambridge to Norwich

This works out at a 14 pound saving, which is well worth it in the present climate.

well spotted and as you change trains its perfectly ok. the only time splitting tickets becomes a problem is when you''ve bought split tickets for a journey where you don''t have to change trains. you''d have to get off and on again. just a warning coz know bbc seem to think this is a great idea.but well done that man

Thanks for the tip on tickets, that’s the way I buy the ticket for the Capital Canaries when we don’t use our Liverpool Street to Norwich travel deal with National Express when there are buses on the route, which is most Saturdays between now and the end of the season.

When we travel via Cambridge we normally use Kings Cross, which is a couple of quid more expensive, but faster than the Liverpool Street to Cambridge line. Having said that - we cannot travel from Kings Cross to Cambridge for the Plymouth game.

It’s also much cheaper to use Group Save 4 and Group Save 3, which is what I do when we need to travel via Cambridge. GS4 is a 2 for 1, which means we can do the trip for £17 each, but this depends on whether we get a number in the group which divides by four.

Less train money = more beer money.

[quote user="National express super guard "]well spotted and as you change trains its perfectly ok. the only time splitting tickets becomes a problem is when you''ve bought split tickets for a journey where you don''t have to change trains. you''d have to get off and on again. just a warning coz know bbc seem to think this is a great idea.
but well done that man
[/quote]

I trust you know what you''re talking about as a guard, but I believe the conditions state that as long as the train you are travelling on stops at the break of ticket station, you do not have to "get off and on again".

the conditions state that your ticket must be for that journey. therefore we can ask you to get up get off and get on again. I wouldn''t, coz I do anything for the simple life, but I know some guards, especially on cambridge line that would do that.dunno if you can still do it, but used to be cheaper to get cheap day return london to chelmsford, chelmsford to Ipswich, and in old days an anglia plus, but this would now be the 10p cheaper ipswich to norwich cheap day return.