Sign in to follow this  
yellow hammer

REVEALED - The true story of when a billionaire came calling

[quote user="Beauseant"]God these millionaires are so easily put off, aren''t they?[/quote]

I think a borderline racist statement from the majority shareholders at a club would put plenty of foreign millionaires off IMO.

[quote user="yellow hammer"]

One of the long running threads spun to fans is that there are no investors out there willing to put money into Norwich City. Some claim that no sane person would invest in a Championship club. Well there must be a lot of crazy, rich people around if you look at the evidence.

If you’re looking for the inside track on the Cullum saga then I am going to disappoint you. This is not about Cullum. This is the true story of another billionaire. A guy far richer than the insurance man. Which if you think about it, is even more tragic than the Cullum story, because this is about a guy who put his money where his mouth is.

My little tale begins around the time when we slipped out of the Premiership after a season of mainly woeful performances from a team of journeymen and carpet baggers. My daughter’s godfather is a wealthy and very well-connected businessman. One of his business associates is a billionaire, owning an airline, mobile phone company, real estate and so on.

The  billionaire wanted to buy his boyhood football club – a well-established Premiership outfit. So he went and began talks with the board of directors. It was national news at the time and I followed the story with great interest because I knew something of the guy. The talks lasted for over six months – no formal offer was made. For those who take glee from the fact that Cullum never made a formal offer do not understand business. In an uncontested takeover, the formal offer arrives along with a glossy brochure and lots of printed forms after the deal has been thrashed out. The formal offer is a rubber stamp if you will, at the end of the negotiating process. It is only in the case of hostile takeovers that an offer will be made and then the fighting begins. Since Cullum did not make an offer then that is enough to tell you that the parties did not get beyond the negotiating stage and that Cullum was not prepared to enter a hostile takeover for the club. You may ask yourself, why did talks not get beyond the early stages.

Anyway, getting back to the main point. After months of talking, no deal could be reached with the Premier club and the billionaire withdrew his offer. End of story.

By now Norwich City were struggling  back in the Championship and the board were looking for new investors. The thought occurred to me that if the billionaire wanted to get into football, why not invest in Norwich City? What if I could make a case for NCFC? After all it would be a fraction  of the cost of investing in a leading Premiership club. So I went to see my kid’s godfather and asked if he could get me an appointment with the billionaire and I would pitch up for Norwich City.

Now, I’m just an ordinary fan and I have no inside knowledge of the affairs of our club but I considered nothing ventured, nothing gained. I had nothing to lose. Fair enough, the godfather delivered the goods and I got a ten minute slot to see the big man. The following week I turned up at the billionaires HQ armed with nothing but a little powerpoint presentation and a lot of chutzpah. After two-hour wait in line I get ushered into the main man’s presence. I told him that I was just an interested fan and in no way connected to club. So how do you go about and sell the idea that he should invest in NCFC?

Basically my point was that NCFC has a unique identity in football. While there are a few other clubs that play in yellow and green and a few even nicknamed the Canaries, we are the original. We own that unique identity and the little yellow bird on a football is a very strong brand. I also turned the ‘little old Norwich’ idea on its head and said that that one of our advantages is that we don’t come with any baggage. That is to say, if you own Man U, then you alienate more than half of the footballing world. Nobody hates City except for a few retards down the A140. If you know anything about business you will understand the power of a unique selling proposition and a strong, easily identifiable brand.  This is the untapped potential of Norwich City, an idea our current board has never grasped.

Anyway, that was the gist of my sales pitch, and at the end of it we exchanged pleasantries and I was ushered out and thanked for my time. That was that. It wasn’t much, but I at least I had a try and if nothing came of it, I could say I did my best.

A few weeks later I received a phone call. It was from one of the billionaires people. He said that they had enjoyed my presentation and asked me if I could prepare for them a few paragraphs as how they might want to make an approach to Norwich City.  Basically, what did I think would be of interest to NCFC about them. That was an easy one – money – but of course one can’t just say that, and I said I would prepare a paper for them with some ideas.

The next day, I received yet another call from the same guy. This time he asked me whether or not I had read the latest NCFC news, in particular a statement from the majority shareholder. I said I hadn’t but would do so. When I went online I found an interview between Ms. Smith and a journalist. In this interview she stated that City would never sell  out to a foreign investor, the intimation was only Norwich people would be considered as investors in her club.

And with that news the billionaire, who is a foreigner, lost interest. I tried phoning back a couple of times but my calls were never accepted. With one misplaced statement from the chief shareholder, a potential investor took off.

I have since wondered whether the board issued that no-foreigner statement directly as a result of enquiries made from my investor. Of course the timing could have been co-incidental. We shall never know. However what I do know is that the billionaire was interesting in investing into English football, because a few months later he made the national news when he bought into a middle-ranking Premiership club to the tune of over eighty-million pounds. In my mind that is eighty-million quid that could have gone to Norwich City. It could have bought out the existing shareholders, paid off the debt and still had plenty of money to invest in the playing squad.

Now you can argue that we don’t want foreign investment and if you’ve worked out who the billionaire is (there’s enough clues), that you wouldn’t want this particular investor. You may even argue that I had no business doing what I did. Fair dues to you but that is not my main point. My point is that there were investors if you looked hard enough, we could have found an investor if our terms weren’t so arrogant, and the board of directors are culpable for bringing out this state of affairs.

Still what’s done is done. The opportunities are gone and there’s no turning back the clock, hey?

Yellow Hammer

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply YH, just one question, if he''s your daughters godfather, why would you have to book a slot to see him?  I''m a godparent and regardless of what I do in life my godkids parents would never have to ask me to spare time to talk to me.  I am good friends with my godchilds parents, that''s the whole idea surely that you personally know them well enough to care for your children if, god forbid something were to happen to you.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[quote user="Beauseant"]God these millionaires are so easily put off, aren''t they?[/quote]

I think a borderline racist statement from the majority shareholders at a club would put plenty of foreign millionaires off IMO.

[/quote]

Thank God she hasn''t said the club''s not for sale.We''d be stuck forever then. You were joking with the "borderline racist" remark, weren''t you? "I won''t sell to a foreign investor isn''t quite in the same league" as "all Muslims are terrorists", is it?

It is , of course, a well known fact that highly sucessful business people will simply turn away form potential investment opportunities unless the owners are really nice to them and invite them to afternoon tea to meet the family.

This is a fairy story, Mr C. It should be signed Enid Blyton, and it saddens me that inelligent people like your self allow your inherent hatred of the board to blind you to its obvious flaws. Of course, I''m less surprised to see Barclay Boy lap it up like a saucer of cream.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

That is a joke comment, surely!!

And the whole story, what a pile of crap.  But then, have I ever told you the one about the potless twat who came calling....

Sorry but I think there could be some truth in it??

[quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

Well unless it''s confirmed or denied by the club and the supposed investor then we shall never know shall we?

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Thanks for the reply YH, just one question, if he''s your daughters godfather, why would you have to book a slot to see him?  I''m a godparent and regardless of what I do in life my godkids parents would never have to ask me to spare time to talk to me.  I am good friends with my godchilds parents, that''s the whole idea surely that you personally know them well enough to care for your children if, god forbid something were to happen to you.[/quote]

He said one of his business associates is a billionaire and he booked a slot to see him, not his daughter''s godfather.

[quote user="NorfolkChance"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

You''re right. There is some truth in it.

For example, it''s true that a foreign investor did not buy Norwich City Football Club.

[/quote]

lol very good

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Thanks for the reply YH, just one question, if he''s your daughters godfather, why would you have to book a slot to see him?  I''m a godparent and regardless of what I do in life my godkids parents would never have to ask me to spare time to talk to me.  I am good friends with my godchilds parents, that''s the whole idea surely that you personally know them well enough to care for your children if, god forbid something were to happen to you.

[/quote]He''s not the godfather - he''s a business acquaintance of the godfather - it''s in YH''s post.

I cant believe that it is not obvious to everyone that Yellow Hammer is referring to Thaksin Shinawatra.

If this is the case, I find myself in agreement with delia for the first time in four years. This man would have have been an undesirable owner. Somethings are more important than just having a sugar daddy with a large bank account. No offence aimed at Yellow Hammer, as I am sure that you ment the best for City

Based on the OP''s location and the clues and timeline he provided, then if there is any truth in what he wrote, I think the individual in question is almost certainly Mr Human Rights himself, Dr Thaksin Shinawatra. He made national news by trying to take over Liverpool; Delia''s interview in the Guardian was in February 2007, before the game at Chelsea in the FA Cup; and Thaksin took Manchester City over (while others still remained on the board) that summer. The West Ham takeover happened almost a year earlier, if you recall.To my mind, it is preposterous to think that someone who almost bought one of the biggest, most famous clubs in the world, and ended up taking over one of the ten biggest clubs in England, would''ve been doing anything other than humouring our correspondent. What would''ve been in it for Thaksin to buy Norwich? Not a lot. Many Canary fans would have recoiled in horror, and events showed he was just biding his time and waiting for the right opportunity with a large Premier League club, not a Championship one.If someone was truly serious about investing in or buying us, would they honestly be put off by one measly interview in the press? Hardly. On the contrary - if it was Thaksin, Delia''s comments just gave him the excuse he needed to make his apologies to the OP: he was clearly never serious in the first place. There but for the grace of God go many, many football clubs: Manchester City found themselves in a calamitous position last summer, and to their immense good fortune, Thaksin managed to find uberwealthy buyers just weeks before the world as we know it changed. Had that been Norwich, heaven only knows what might have happened.

This is not the first time this has happened. I have it very good authority that when Saddam Husseins sons were captured with a lorry load of cash that they told the American forces that they were honest businessmen on their way to purchase some Canaries from England. They had been told that a fabulous investment was available by a man in a yellow shirt they''d met on two previous occaisions. Seeing that their story was full of lies (no-one could invest due to Delia''s statement) the American arrested them and eventually found out their true identity.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

Thank God she hasn''t said the club''s not for sale.We''d be stuck forever then. You were joking with the "borderline racist" remark, weren''t you? "I won''t sell to a foreign investor isn''t quite in the same league" as "all Muslims are terrorists", is it?

It is , of course, a well known fact that highly sucessful business people will simply turn away form potential investment opportunities unless the owners are really nice to them and invite them to afternoon tea to meet the family.

This is a fairy story, Mr C. It should be signed Enid Blyton, and it saddens me that inelligent people like your self allow your inherent hatred of the board to blind you to its obvious flaws. Of course, I''m less surprised to see Barclay Boy lap it up like a saucer of cream.

[/quote]

If i were looking to sell my house and was asked in Mr Patels corner shop if i would sell to a "foreigner" and responded "never, never, never", do you think Mr Patel would come for a viewing?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If i were looking to sell my house and was asked in Mr Patels corner shop if i would sell to a "foreigner" and responded "never, never, never", do you think Mr Patel would come for a viewing?

[/quote]

Hardly a good example, is it? Billionaires tend to be made of rather tougher stuff (which is usually how they got to be billionaires in the first place). Delia said that she wouldn''t sell to a foreign investor, not that she wouldn''t sell to a filthy black bastard or a murdering arab. Two of those three response are clearly racist, one clearly isn''t. Would you like to pick?

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hardly a good example, is it? Billionaires tend to be made of rather tougher stuff (which is usually how they got to be billionaires in the first place). Delia said that she wouldn''t sell to a foreign investor, not that she wouldn''t sell to a filthy black bastard or a murdering arab. Two of those three response are clearly racist, one clearly isn''t. Would you like to pick?

[/quote]Hardly the case, surely, if you were foreign, and were semi interested in buying a club and their majority shareholder came out saying "I won''t sell to a foreign investor", that would pretty much put you completely off? Not only would you not feel accepted, but it kinda squashes any chance of being able to feel accepted at the club, or to have a good relationship with the rest of the board etc. If it was me, likewise, I wouldn''t have wasted my time getting in contact with the club, I''d take my business elsewhere.

Isn''t yellow hammer the same person who once said he was sitting in a completion meeting with the press booked for a slot to announce some deal? It all went quiet. I am not good at searching other threads but the name of the poster rings a bell here.......in which case this is all another elaborate wind up.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, that`s why i called it "borderline racist" and not "clearly racist"......[:|]

Ruling out ANY foreign investor point-blank ("Never, never, never"), despite their credentials and even possible links with the City and club (Norwich Union/India.....?) is very definately borderline racist.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, that`s why i called it "borderline racist" and not "clearly racist"......[:|]

Ruling out ANY foreign investor point-blank ("Never, never, never"), despite their credentials and even possible links with the City and club (Norwich Union/India.....?) is very definately borderline racist.

[/quote]BS,  get a grip.  Ruling out any foreign investors is an anti globalisation type statement.  Jeez it''s her club whether we like it or not, it up to her who she sells to. Foreigners are white too if you''ve not noticed btw, in case this gets twisted further into a anti blacks thing

I believe it to be a true story!! More to the point, i''ve never actually thought Delia wants to sell the club, she wont sell up even if we get relegated. Its HER club, HER restauarants, HER money thats been invested in the club. I do however see a very ugly end to her reign here, just like what happened to Robert Chase.

I cant stand the woman, nor her useless board!

[quote user="LDC"]

I believe it to be a true story!! More to the point, i''ve never actually thought Delia wants to sell the club, she wont sell up even if we get relegated. Its HER club, HER restauarants, HER money thats been invested in the club. I do however see a very ugly end to her reign here, just like what happened to Robert Chase.

I cant stand the woman, nor her useless board!

[/quote]

Was saying similar yesterday on another thread.  I can see things will get very nasty, fans feel hurt and with that normally comes anger, it feels the same to me as it did for the build up of the Chase out protests.

>Isn''t yellow hammer the same person who once said he was sitting in a completion meeting with the press booked for a slot to announce some deal? It all went quiet. I am not good at searching other threads but the name of the poster rings a bell here.......in which case this is all another elaborate wind up.

Nope, that was someone else. Not Yellow Hammer.

Jetstream,

Read Yellow Hammer''s post clearly - its obviously Shinawrata, which figures because I believe Yello Hammer is based in the far east.