Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Good decisions by Gunn

I''ve never lost faith with Gunn, not for one minute. No-one will get things right 100% of the time. But I''m pleased that he made the changes that were so obviously needed: a city legend and the captain.

And now Gow and Wes can give us an edge Saturday. Same 16 please.

Unless of course we have someone new in by then. I may have been imagining it but I thought Gunny said in his interview on Norfolk after the game that Fotheringham might end up leaving the Club after his chat with him tomorrow which would then ''allow us to sort out one or two other people''s futures'' or something very similar. Perhaps it''s just wishful thinking but I wouldn''t half feel more confident about our chances of staying up if we could get hold of a Ched or someone similar who''s more or less guaranteed to bag us a few goals in these remaining games.  

I said before the game that I thought he''d got the choices right tonight - I might have had Carney for Bertrand, but perhaps tactically Bertrand was the better bet.  I would change it for Saturday though, when we are playing a less capable side.

I too get the feeling that we may get another player in - with Grounds soon to be leaving there is a ''vacancy'' for a loan player (or more) in the squad/starting XI.  Several prem players are going out on loan at the moment, and if Fozzie is indeed leaving I can''t believe we wouldn''t get one or two in - possibly a defender and an attacking m/f. 

I just hope that if we do get any more players, that this time they are ones that come fully worth a starting place without having to get ''match sharp'' as we can''t afford to wait for them right now.

With Grounds going and Fozzy maybe off the wages too maybe we can get Lita or Evans back until the end of the season.

Gow didn''t look intererested at all tonight, and only ran when it suited him which was not very often.

Considering the situation he came on in, where we were defending a pricesless lead, backs against the wall, I expected whole load more effort than I saw, which was virtually zero.

A very disappointing performance, is the most diplomatic way I can describe his 20 minutes or so on the pitch.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

Gow didn''t look intererested at all tonight, and only ran when it suited him which was not very often.

Considering the situation he came on in, where we were defending a pricesless lead, backs against the wall, I expected whole load more effort than I saw, which was virtually zero.

A very disappointing performance, is the most diplomatic way I can describe his 20 minutes or so on the pitch.

[/quote]

I was at the match at Preston a few weeks ago and it was exactly the same story. No running, can''t hold the ball up, little effort. I was hoping he''d improve... [^o)]

Strange how opinions differ. I thought Gow''s contribution was very good, especially coming on at a difficult stage of the game. He did exactly what he had to do, sometimes holding the ball up and other times battling against two defenders which helped to bring others into the game.

Probably the easiest decisions in the history of management. Us fans would have made these changes ages ago. The fact that Gunn gets paids thousands of pounds per week and took so long makes you wonder.

Think the problem for Gunn following Roeder is that he saw how the latter alienated players.  I think Gunn has been trying to give people like Fozzy and Cureton as much of a chance as he can to prove themselves before turning his back on them.

You might say this is down to a lack of management experience but I think it shows a desire to keep the players onside and motivated that they will get a chance - next step is to give Lappin a go!

Nope, only allowed a total of 93 days of a player on emergency loan which we have used up for Lita.  This can be changed in extenuating circumstances (normally if all your keepers run away and you need cover) but cannot see us getting him.

Plus he is getting games for Reading and doubt they will let him go anyway as they do not want to lose him on a free in the summer.

[quote user="sonyc"]

I''ve never lost faith with Gunn, not for one minute. No-one will get things right 100% of the time. But I''m pleased that he made the changes that were so obviously needed: a city legend and the captain.

[/quote]

Correct!

If I''d of seen Fozzy and/ or Cureton run out at QPR last night I''d of lost a lot of faith in Gunny!

Instead he changed what needed changing and the 4 4 1 1 formation worked and the players for the 1st time looked aware of our perilous situation and wanted to do something about it!

Good decisions Gunny!

I presumed the reason Lappin was on the bench is because he will be the replacement for Grounds when Grounds returns...

[quote user="Largey"]I presumed the reason Lappin was on the bench is because he will be the replacement for Grounds when Grounds returns...[/quote]

I would have thought that Bertrand will go in at left back and either Matty Patty or Carney left wing!

[quote user="Largey"]I presumed the reason Lappin was on the bench is because he will be the replacement for Grounds when Grounds returns...[/quote][Y]I want to see Lappin play too - but not at LB. He can do a turn there in an emergency but he aint a LB - and arguably all his woes of the past year have stemmed from Roeder asking him to play there (Grant started it). Left midfield alongside Clingan please. But he can put in a tackle as well as a great ball into the box. Still think we are missing that.

[quote user="Binky"][quote user="Largey"]I presumed the reason Lappin was on the bench is because he will be the replacement for Grounds when Grounds returns...[/quote]

[Y]I want to see Lappin play too - but not at LB. He can do a turn there in an emergency but he aint a LB - and arguably all his woes of the past year have stemmed from Roeder asking him to play there (Grant started it). Left midfield alongside Clingan please. But he can put in a tackle as well as a great ball into the box. Still think we are missing that.
[/quote]

far too lightweight to play alongside Clingan in midfield for me. Got no problem with him on the left wing although i feel Carney and Hoolahan are better options

[quote user="sonyc"]

[/quote]

You''re right but Im far from happy with one win in eight.

Gunn sounded absolutely broken after the Cov game.  I honestly wondered whether he would see it through to the end of the season.  When I saw his interview before the QPR game, he seemed to have a new spring in his step.  It was clear changes were being made, although even I didn''t expect Cureton and Fozzy to be out of the picture completely. 

I know it is only one game, but he got it right Tues.  He''s just got to keep it going.