Sign in to follow this  
The Butler

The road to Mediocrity

Good teams are usually filled with good players OBVIOUS

Good teams can accomodate one or two mediocre players. They will be helped and covered for by the quality arround them

Examples of this have been Rob Newman and Gerry Goss just to name a couple, not great but reasonable.

You can get away with this but when you have a steady decline to a reverse of this with a team of mediocre players with one or two of quality then problems.

When you have a team consisting of Marshal, Dougherty,Russell,Croft,Cureton etc with only Clingan(I''m struggling with this) then there is no one to lift the team to cover the mistakes.

This decline has been on going for some time. Pick any position on the field and trace it over the last say 10years and see the result.

Is any position BETTER than it was?

That is why we are were we are and even if we survive this season UNLESS we can start restoring the balance then this is all we have to look forward to.

[quote user="The Butler"]

Good teams can accomodate one or two mediocre players. They will be helped and covered for by the quality arround them

Examples of this have been Rob Newman and Gerry Goss just to name a couple, not great but reasonable.

You can get away with this but when you have a steady decline to a reverse of this with a team of mediocre players with one or two of quality then problems.

When you have a team consisting of Marshal, Dougherty,Russell,Croft,Cureton etc with only Clingan(I''m struggling with this) then there is no one to lift the team to cover the mistakes.

This decline has been on going for some time. Pick any position on the field and trace it over the last say 10years and see the result.

That is why we are were we are and even if we survive this season UNLESS we can start restoring the balance then this is all we have to look forward to.

[/quote]

Completely agree with all of that. Its been a steady decline, certainly since the Premiership squad started to be dismantled and we seem to have always replaced on a downgrading basis. I''ve posted elsewhere today that without institutional change we will either struggle again if by some miracle we stay up, or fester long term in League One if, as I still believe, we do make the drop. Like the economy, there ain''t too much good news out there!

Can''t argue with any of that Beau. Thing I really struggle with is after all the time we spent in this division prior to promotion, when we actually escape back to the Premiership, what do we do?

We budget for coming straight back down. Criminal. Unacceptable, and we may never get that chance again, under the present board.

Beau, the only position I can think of over the past 10 years is Huckerby, and that''s it.

[/quote]

Very true!

I said before Saturdays game that a lot of our problem is that we''re trying to make do with sub standard players in certain positions.

Cort as much as hes improved and now not doing bad ultimately hes not good enough cause hes lost any physical presense, the same as Curetons legs have gone!

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

Completely agree with all of that. Its been a steady decline, certainly since the Premiership squad started to be dismantled and we seem to have always replaced on a downgrading basis. I''ve posted elsewhere today that without institutional change we will either struggle again if by some miracle we stay up, or fester long term in League One if, as I still believe, we do make the drop. Like the economy, there ain''t too much good news out there!

[/quote]

No there isn''t much good news and I write as someone who has never sniffed the Premier League Barmaid''s Apron and who never expects to.  But there is life in the lower leagues - Third and Fourth as some prefer - as there always has been and some good games to watch among the dross.  Although you are now not in the same class as Colchester[+o(] we had some good games against you in the jolly old Third Division (South) and it was a good "derby" to look forward to. 

Of course spending and buying rules the world of modern football but for those denied that for various reasons I think spectators have to take what they can.

Your hardy supporters last night saw a great win and never stopped encouraging, so it is said.  In equally appalling condittions, a coachload of Lincoln supporters made the longer journey to Dagenham.  There was terrace standing for those who love it but no cover whatsoever, no retreating towards the back of the stand.  Like you, howling gale.  At Dagenham, apparently, it started off with driving rain, switched to snowing, sleet, rain, snow, rain.

Soaked to the skin they were and claiming to be hoarse like some of yours and they witnessed only the second 3-0 away win for the Mighty Imps in five years.

Hopefully you will miss all this but if you don''t you''ll have to take what you can from it I think.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

In equally appalling condittions, a coachload of Lincoln supporters made the longer journey to Dagenham.  There was terrace standing for those who love it but no cover whatsoever, no retreating towards the back of the stand.  Like you, howling gale.  At Dagenham, apparently, it started off with driving rain, switched to snowing, sleet, rain, snow, rain.

Soaked to the skin they were and claiming to be hoarse like some of yours and they witnessed only the second 3-0 away win for the Mighty Imps in five years.

Hopefully you will miss all this but if you don''t you''ll have to take what you can from it I think.

[/quote]

Like most on here I''m sure - been there, done that. Whats your point?

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No there isn''t much good news and I write as someone who has never sniffed the Premier League Barmaid''s Apron and who never expects to.  But there is life in the lower leagues - Third and Fourth as some prefer - as there always has been and some good games to watch among the dross.  Although you are now not in the same class as Colchester[+o(] we had some good games against you in the jolly old Third Division (South) and it was a good "derby" to look forward to. 

Of course spending and buying rules the world of modern football but for those denied that for various reasons I think spectators have to take what they can.

Your hardy supporters last night saw a great win and never stopped encouraging, so it is said.  In equally appalling condittions, a coachload of Lincoln supporters made the longer journey to Dagenham.  There was terrace standing for those who love it but no cover whatsoever, no retreating towards the back of the stand.  Like you, howling gale.  At Dagenham, apparently, it started off with driving rain, switched to snowing, sleet, rain, snow, rain.

[/quote]

Gorleston thumped Thetford 4-1 on Tuesday. And Sailor Brown & Martin Peters used to play for us.

So what?

OTBC

For a lot of our positions we haven''t even got any cover, never mind decent back-up or squad support. When the loanees go back and contracts run out, we will start next season with a squad of fourteen players. Fourteen! Can anyone see our board sanctioning enough money to get in another eight or nine decent squad players for next season; whichever league we''re in?

Oh and ''Gerry'' Goss only reasonable?!

There will be countless players released in the summer, it is a question of whether we can pay the wages.  I for one would like to see us bringing in some of the premiership youngsters that get released.  This tactic plus some good experience has worked for teams like Burnley and Preston.

[quote]For a lot of our positions we haven''t even got any cover, never mind decent back-up or squad support. When the loanees go back and contracts run out, we will start next season with a squad of fourteen players. Fourteen! Can anyone see our board sanctioning enough money to get in another eight or nine decent squad players for next season; whichever league we''re in?[/quote]

I highly doubt we''ll begin the season with just 14 players. Actually I don''t think it''s even possible due to the rules. If the worst comes to the worst some of the youth team will get a well deserved place in the squad at least until we manage to find the cash for some loan players elsewhere. Even if said youth team members don''t set the world alight they''ll get experience at the very least and unless they individually cost us several points and left us rock bottom of the league table then I don''t see what harm it would do.

There''s no doubt that we need to boost the quality of the squad for next season whichever division we are in. But then isn''t that the case for every club in the country? There''s always a need for fresh faces in a team. Some get lucky with thier aquisitions, others don''t as we have found out to our cost at times this season. We found the cash for the loanees this year (albeit in peanuts) and we''ll do it again for the next season.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

For a lot of our positions we haven''t even got any cover, never mind decent back-up or squad support. When the loanees go back and contracts run out, we will start next season with a squad of fourteen players. Fourteen! Can anyone see our board sanctioning enough money to get in another eight or nine decent squad players for next season; whichever league we''re in?

[/quote]

The point I was trying to make has nothing to do with backup. It''s to do with the steady decline in the level of players playing at the club.

Yes Gossy was mediocre compared with what was round him at the time. Would shine now. That''s the whole point.

We have got to start increasing the good player/mediocre ratio.

I agree with the points made here because I made them myself a few days ago. They weren''t seen as good points then though because they didn''t fit certain people agendas. But I won''t give up just because people don''t like the way I put it. In fact I will repeat it here. Worthy left us with Croft - Safri - Etuhu - Huckerby across the midfield and Dublin - Earnshaw up front. Which of these positions have been improved for getting Worthy out?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I agree with the points made here because I made them myself a few days ago. They weren''t seen as good points then though because they didn''t fit certain people agendas. But I won''t give up just because people don''t like the way I put it. In fact I will repeat it here. Worthy left us with Croft - Safri - Etuhu - Huckerby across the midfield and Dublin - Earnshaw up front. Which of these positions have been improved for getting Worthy out?

[/quote]

How many of those Nutty would have held a candle to the previous teams.That''s the point IT HAS BEEN and continues to be A STEADY DECLINE of playing standards. Croft/Fox, Dublin/Sutton, Safri/Philips, Huckerby/Eadie and so on.

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

How many of those Nutty would have held a candle to the previous teams.That''s the point IT HAS BEEN and continues to be A STEADY DECLINE of playing standards. Croft/Fox, Dublin/Sutton, Safri/Philips, Huckerby/Eadie and so on.

[/quote]

With all due respect my friend I don''t believe that is the point. That was a different time when we could have top players at the club and be established in the top division. Unfortunately we sold them all and got relegated. Now we can''t get back because everything has changed. Not just at our club but at every club. In the last 5 years it wasn''t just us that failed to stay in the Prem after promotion, it was 2 of every 3 promoted clubs that failed. In the five years surrounding that glorious 1993 top three finish eleven different clubs finished in the top four while in the last five years just five have. So I believe what we had just three years ago is much more the point than what we had 15 years ago. And the fact that the much maligned Dickson Etuhu is playing in the Premiership now while Darel Russell has never done so is much more of a valid comparison of our recent decline rather than making comparisons with something that appears to be gone forever.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

With all due respect my friend I don''t believe that is the point. That was a different time when we could have top players at the club and be established in the top division. Unfortunately we sold them all and got relegated. Now we can''t get back because everything has changed. Not just at our club but at every club. In the last 5 years it wasn''t just us that failed to stay in the Prem after promotion, it was 2 of every 3 promoted clubs that failed. In the five years surrounding that glorious 1993 top three finish eleven different clubs finished in the top four while in the last five years just five have. So I believe what we had just three years ago is much more the point than what we had 15 years ago. And the fact that the much maligned Dickson Etuhu is playing in the Premiership now while Darel Russell has never done so is much more of a valid comparison of our recent decline rather than making comparisons with something that appears to be gone forever.

[/quote]

Agreed but it is still a decline and a continuing decline. You are just emphasing the point for me. Is this years team as good as the team of three years ago NO.

I am not concerned with who has stayed up and who has not. More the level of players/football that will grace our side. This does not always cost money(although it helps) It is Standards set and unfortunately ours have dropped alarmingly over the years. We can all pick player comparisons, mine were off the top of my head quick responses. The trail still remains though.

I agree but I think we have to compare like with like. Back in the early 90''s lots of different sides managed to have similar success to us. none of them do now. It''s a dead argument really and is only dragged up to compare this board with other boards when really the comparison can''t be made. But, if we insist on making those comparisons and blame our decline since Fox and Sutton on the current board then it would make the achievements in 2004 even greater and would quite porobably ,make Worthy the greatest manager we ever had! Even I don''t believe that[:O]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I agree but I think we have to compare like with like. Back in the early 90''s lots of different sides managed to have similar success to us. none of them do now. It''s a dead argument really and is only dragged up to compare this board with other boards when really the comparison can''t be made. But, if we insist on making those comparisons and blame our decline since Fox and Sutton on the current board then it would make the achievements in 2004 even greater and would quite porobably ,make Worthy the greatest manager we ever had! Even I don''t believe that[:O]

[/quote]

This was not a go at the board thread there are enough of those already. More a comment on the steady decline of playing standards.

Who is to blame?

The managers for selecting those players, the finacial restraints placed by the CE, the lack of available cash from the board, the fans not paying enough to allow salary levels to attract the players.

Some or all or part I don''t have that answer. All I do know is the quality I see now in a City shirt is nowhere near what it was and it''s getting worse!!

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

This was not a go at the board thread there are enough of those already. More a comment on the steady decline of playing standards.

Who is to blame?

The managers for selecting those players, the finacial restraints placed by the CE, the lack of available cash from the board, the fans not paying enough to allow salary levels to attract the players.

Some or all or part I don''t have that answer. All I do know is the quality I see now in a City shirt is nowhere near what it was and it''s getting worse!!

[/quote]

I know it wasn''t an anti-board thread but my points about the comparisons from another age still stand. We certainly haven''t got value for money for the player budget provided to the football managers since Worthy was sacked and I believe that is the only realistic comparison we can make. So despite the fact it''s unpopular I will say again that Earnshaw to Cureton or Etuhu to Russell is a huge drop in quality. But to compare let''s say Etuhu to Crook would be unfair. We all know Crook was a better player but unfortunately in todays game Etuhu would quite possibly be the most valuable. Worthy made some big mistakes over the years. Emblen and Jarrett spring readily to mind. He was also unlucky with players like Thorne and MLJ. But that''s the case with all managers at all clubs. In the main Worthy did well with his player budgets and certainly better than the managers that followed. While we could always do with bigger budgets for players I believe the biggest problem is the money that''s been wasted.

So you are saying that we should not make any comparrisons further back than Worthington! Anything prior to him is irrelevant and therefore he is the mighty yardstick for all to follow.

Good manager he was for a time but no where near the best.

I know it is very unlikely that I will ever be able to watch a City team of the quality of Ken Browns,Dave Stringers, Mike Walkers but that is my point. I did watch those teams and this lot could not lace their boots. That''s what I am sad about and regardless of your time scale it is decline.

Buy you a pint tonight and we can discuss this further!![;)]

No, it''s not what I am saying. What I was saying was that football has changed, and not for the better from those times. Back in the late eighties we were the best I have ever known. We had players at the club who were the envy of all the top clubs in Great Britain. The football we played was admired all over the country. We''d play Manchester United and beat them. We''d beat them because we had better players then them. Players we''d bought from lower clubs. Players like Mickey Phelan from Burnley or Steve Bruce from Gillingham. Players we would later sell to Manchester United for huge sums of money because they were better players than Manchester United had got themselves. These players were a million miles better than Etuhu or Russell but my point is that no club has those players anymore. Which clubs have got players better then Manchester United? Even a club like Aston Villa, with an extremely wealthty owner and challenging for a Champions League place, probably hasn''tr got one player that Manchester United would want. That''s the game today I''m afraid.

What I believe is more relevant to us is the money wasted over the last 3 years that has left us with a lack of players to even hold our own in this division.

I am not coming tonight Butler, couldn''t make it even if I had wanted to. We''ll have a pint another time though[B][Y]

If income stands still (or goes down) but the perice of players goes up (be that transfers, wages or agents fees) then the standard goes down. Easy really.

[quote user="SPat"]If income stands still (or goes down) but the perice of players goes up (be that transfers, wages or agents fees) then the standard goes down. Easy really.
[/quote]

Simple but the income hasn''t stood still or come down. It''s gone up, unlike the quality level of our team.

[quote user="SPat"]If income stands still (or goes down) but the perice of players goes up (be that transfers, wages or agents fees) then the standard goes down. Easy really.[/quote]

Simple but the income hasn''t stood still or come down. It''s gone up, unlike the quality level of our team.

[/quote]The income in simple % terms has gone up, but the other costs have gone up disproportionately more. That and what money we''ve had has been wasted on a bunch of underperforming clowns. A combination of poor decision making by a succession of managers, the board, greedy agents and mediocre players who all demand high wages these days.

[quote user="SPat"][quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="SPat"]If income stands still (or goes down) but the perice of players goes up (be that transfers, wages or agents fees) then the standard goes down. Easy really.
[/quote]

[/quote]

The income in simple % terms has gone up, but the other costs have gone up disproportionately more. That and what money we''ve had has been wasted on a bunch of underperforming clowns. A combination of poor decision making by a succession of managers, the board, greedy agents and mediocre players who all demand high wages these days.
[/quote]

Very succinctly put. Can''t argue with that[;)]

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

[/quote]

The point I was trying to make has nothing to do with backup. It''s to do with the steady decline in the level of players playing at the club.

Yes Gossy was mediocre compared with what was round him at the time. Would shine now. That''s the whole point.

We have got to start increasing the good player/mediocre ratio.

[/quote]

Woah, all right, keep your knickers on! Am I not allowed to segue slightly from your original point?

I was just going further from you saying that the standards of players have diminished with every season to say that yes this is the case, but we''ve also got to the point where the sheer number of the squad has become ridiculously small. Both the quality and quantity have gone down year upon year since the Premiership. Squads need competition to get the best out of individuals - Jon Otsemebor a wonderful case in point

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="SPat"][quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="SPat"]If income stands still (or goes down) but the perice of players goes up (be that transfers, wages or agents fees) then the standard goes down. Easy really.[/quote]

[/quote]The income in simple % terms has gone up, but the other costs have gone up disproportionately more. That and what money we''ve had has been wasted on a bunch of underperforming clowns. A combination of poor decision making by a succession of managers, the board, greedy agents and mediocre players who all demand high wages these days.[/quote]

Very succinctly put. Can''t argue with that[;)]

[/quote]and spending too much on off-field activities than on the team,,,but the only model that has been successful in recent years was obviously when we gained promotion via speculative investment courtesy of the share issue/carl moore - which enabled us to bolt on genuine quality prem/champs ''inbetweenies'' players such as hucks, crouch and svennson onto a solid, dependable champs squad...only for our brilliant board to dump this successful model the very next season and instead follow charltons yo-yo model...on the playing side at that time - our astute manager nigel worthington - upon promotion - imediately broke up our successful centre half pairing - and got in simon charlton to partner fleming - meaning we had the shortest pairing in the prem -doh,,,oh - and of course - don''t forget that brilliant piece of business whereby he retired iwan - and replaced him with the doc up front,,,but only after freezing out svennson and helveg after 2 games...and lets not remind ourselves of the dross worthy got in when we got relegated...and the spiral of decline that has continued since then...the problem is - the prem goes still from strength to strength - and increased its next domestic tv deal - and will probably do better still in the middle east and asia - - - and so the name of the game remains the same in the champs - for this season at least - that sugar daddied clubs will still have the edge on us...we will remain a middle ranking champs side in terms of the size of our playing budget...ans all the clever wheezes in the world won''t make that ground up - indeed --- as we''ve seen,,,it could go wrong and instead of challenging for the prem...ncfc gets relegated...ouch///

I would love to join in this discussion too lads. Have to say I do hope to again watch a team in the future which can match a team of Ken Brown''s/Dave Stringer''s. There has to be hope Butler, or we might as well give up.

The Championship team were good Nutty, mostly due to an understanding and desire to win. But they cannot compare to the team that almost won the 92/93 Premier season.

Both boards then devalued those great sides and look what happened both times, relegation.

My main gripe is when we sell someone we don''t then channel that exact amount into a replacement, again, weakening the side and over time, well it''s all there to see this season isn''t it?

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]I would love to join in this discussion too lads. Have to say I do hope to again watch a team in the future which can match a team of Ken Brown''s/Dave Stringer''s. There has to be hope Butler, or we might as well give up. The Championship team were good Nutty, mostly due to an understanding and desire to win. But they cannot compare to the team that almost won the 92/93 Premier season. Both boards then devalued those great sides and look what happened both times, relegation. My main gripe is when we sell someone we don''t then channel that exact amount into a replacement, again, weakening the side and over time, well it''s all there to see this season isn''t it?[/quote]

Sorry Gazza.. the team that finished 3rd in the Prem was good but the team that nearly won the double was better. That late eighties team was the best I ever saw play for us[Y]

Yes, and I am not arguing that, I am saying Mike Walker''s team would beat Nigel Worthington''s team hands down. Butler was trying to say I believe that over the years the team has declined. Would any of Worthington''s team got into the 92/93 side. I suggest probably only Huckerby.

But hey, I guess we should be grateful we are all old enough to have seen our team win something or achieve greater heights. Ken Brown and Dave Stringer had years of fantastic football and great achievements. Some wonderful players too.

Sadly, unless I win the Euro millions we won''t have that again. Oh if only!!