Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

If I was a Norwich City Defender...

...I would be laughing my socks off! Almost no competiton for places. I would be guaranteed Premiership Football all season!

Canary boy could u explain?
Edworthy is competing with Briggs and Holt when needed.
Flem, Mackay, Charlton, Shackell and most probably Primus for two positions
and Drury, Brennan and Charlton for left back.

That is quite enough competition isn''t it probably more than in alot of other positions ie right wing or target man.

but all the names you just mentioned, in the scheme of things, are unproven nobodies thierry cant wait to come to carrow world & its not for the half time pies. Every team has a striker that will enjoy the likes of Fleming & Mackays lack of top level football. As for Wolves rejects need I say more. spend Spend SPEND!!!

Macca, stop it. I feel that I am chasing you round message boards replying rudely to your posts. But you ARE wrong. Henry scored 30 odd goals last season, so he scored past most of the "big name" defenders in the country too. Why just victimise our centrebacks? And replacing them with people you''ve heard of is going to do what exactly?

We''re not going to spend more than 1 mill collectively on players, of that I''m almost certain. So just get over it, and enjoy the oncoming season.

Oh, and how exactly is Charlton uproven???? He has played in the prem for the last two seasons, and finished 8th last season playing at centre half.

How much more does he have to prove?!?!?!?

I would like to see us have more experienced cover at right back. Briggs remains a bit of a mystery to me. Have never seen him play - I can''t make reserve matches, and 1st team appearances have remained fairly elusive to him. Would be very concerned if steady eddy got injured and we were forced to play Briggs. The guy seems to have no real experience. But Worthy must obviously rate him to a degree as all other "dead wood" is always shown the door, cheque in-hand. Does anyone know if Primus can play at right back as well as centre back?

As for the rest of the back 4, it is as good as we could expect. Drury has long been touted as a Premiership player and if we had not got promoted last season, he would probably have packed his bags to Southampton to join Kents or somewhere similar. Charlton and Primus were both Premiership regulars last season in teams that finished in a position that I would love to see Norwich finish in this season. Our back up to these 2 at centre back were the best pairing in the 1st division last season. And for good measure Shackell is as promising player as we have seen at the club since Green came through. Speaking of the devil...

...if all else fails we have one of the best keepers in the division. Besides all the big clubs like Arsenal are likely to rest their big name players such as Henry when they play the so called small teams like us. Easy points for us!

Wolves rejects? Eddie was one of the most consistent high performers of the season last season, and I have no doubts that he can make the step up.

And spend what, exactly? Nige has been given a budget to work with which will ensure the long term future and stability of the club whichever division we are in, and IMO he is working bloody miracles this summer - so far he has got Scotland''s No2 goalkeeper, one of the most exciting young English prospects, a key part of Morocco''s central midfield (which made the African Nations semi-finals, by the way) and a vastly experienced consistent defender, all for the princely sum of £750k. Quite amazing!

And perhaps more importantly, all of these players WANTED to come here - apart from Charlton, they all in fact chose us over other options.

Macca, do you mean like that woman who won the lottery jackpot, spent it all, didn''t feel any better in the process, and ended up all miserable in masses of debt? Sounds great! Let''s do it, eh? Surely it doesn''t matter what happens at the end of the season...we won''t have a club left anyway but it will be fun trying to run before we can walk before we die! Sorry - perhaps that was just a bit too sarcastic for this time of the day, as indeed I hope you were also being. If you weren''t pulling our little pegs then I trust you''re prepared for some strong replies...SOON! The survival of the club is everything, whatever that means to the speed of our progress or lack of it. End of! (I hear the Binners are desperate to sell a few more season tickets. Perhaps their policy when last in the Prem counts your good self as an admirer then?! I sincerely hope not).

I have seen Briggs perform and believe, given the opportunity, would give adequate cover for Eddy. Problem is as always, these players need an extended run to get used to the pace of first team football. We must not be panicked into buying players who are probably no better than what we have here already and I think we must trust Nige in his judgement. Lets face it, he hasn''t done too badly so far since becoming Manager!!

I wouldn''t say there is no competition for places. Hopefully (Please god, PLEASE!!!!) we will sign Primus. That will give us a Drury, Brennan, Mackay, Fleming, Charlton, Primus (hopefully), Shackell, Edworthy and Briggs. 9 defenders for 4 spots isn''t that bad. Ok, Shackell and Briggs don''t have much experience, but neither do some other players who do well in the Premiership. Stead?