Sign in to follow this  
BigFish

Mea Culpa - A Percy recants

[:(]

Well Smudger, Cluck, Bly, Ricky Knight, Mr Carrow et all, you have an admission from this Percy that I was wrong. I wanted to believe, to be a supporter which is why my hope triumped over my experience.

I thought we had enough about the team to get out of this. But it is clear when the going gets tough they go missing.

I thought the loan policy was a clever way of getting a better team than we can afford but all it gives is a team with no collective spririt.

I thought Jamie Cureton would score goals[:$]

I thought ambition with prudence would build a platform for success.

I thought Doomy had the finances under control.

I thought we wouldn''t miss Hux.

I was wrong

Its a fine line, so don''t concede that you were "wrong". You just took a different point of view to some others. The board''s policies and decisions could have all paid off, or some could have paid off - or none.
  • Their focus on commercial infrastructure was as progressive and attaractive a strategy as you could have found in this division 10 years ago.
  • Their unwillingness to over-invest as we went to the Prem, or after we had come back down, could have been a master stroke; if we had stayed up or been re-promoted, respectively.
  • Plenty would have backed Worthy, with a recent promotion and playoff campaign sitting on his CV, to have bounced us straight back up, just like Charlton and other yo-yo clubs repeatedly did for years prior.
  • Peter Grant: sometimes, tenacious, respected coaches and assistants are a managerial revelation (other times, they are found out as the inexperienced incompetents they are.)
  • Roeder, for all his faults, had two 7th place Premier League finishes on his resume; yes, plenty of red crosses and black question marks; but the backing and respect of Arsene Wenger amongst others.
  • As these gambles have each failed to pay off, they have forced us into secondary risk, such as the necessity of relying on loans to fill the squad. These have compounded the initial failures, so that today, we are a club in absolute disarray, in danger of decaying into a state from which we may not recover.
Like I said, it''s a fine line. You saw it going one way, I may have seen it another; hindsight is a wonderful thing. The board''s decisions could have all paid

off. They made some sense on paper, at least at the time. At the very

least, they could have lucked out a couple of times, with a coupld of

gambles coming out ok. Sadly for them and all concerned, nothing -

literally - has succeeded in the way they hoped.

Mr Thorne, I salute your voice of moderation.

Interesting, though, that you couldn''t find a way of expressing how the Gunn appointment could have gone well. That was the final straw for me. I can only see two explanations for it:

1) We have so little money that we couldn''t afford a proper manager.

2) The board honestly felt that the Barnsley win proved he was the man for the job.

If  (1) is true, then the board have by any definition failed. A club with 20,000 season ticket holders that can''t afford a manager

If (2) is true, their judgement is non-existent. Delia could have been manager for that game and we''d have won it.

I have every sympathy for the board, whom I will always believe are decent people doing their best. But we are going down, and they have to carry the can. It is simply not acceptable for a club this size to be in division three.

You can make all the excuses you like, this board is a failure have shown no bottle or ambition and have taken all the cheapest routes possible which has led to where we are.

[quote user="ricky knight"]

You can make all the excuses you like, this board is a failure have shown no bottle or ambition and have taken all the cheapest routes possible which has led to where we are.

[/quote] 100% correct

[quote user="ricky knight"]

[/quote]

Sadly, I never thought I would agree with you Ricky but you are largely right and I was wrong - despite the appreciated support above. Ultimately you can''t argue with where we are. I can''t see where the next win is coming from (though I hope it is tomorrow) & I can see City kicking off in the third tier in August without any of the players who can find better offers. Football wise the club is an empty shell.

I wish i was way wrong and we were fighting for promotion, believe and as i have said many times, at the end of the day we are all City fans we just think different, i just wish we could all come together be more millitant and work together as fans to get rid of this board of losers.I dont care if there is someone to take over i just want this lot to know we wont tolerate their lack of ambition, cheapskate decisions and BS any longer.

[quote user="ricky knight"]I wish i was way wrong and we were fighting for promotion, believe and as i have said many times, at the end of the day we are all City fans we just think different, i just wish we could all come together be more millitant and work together as fans to get rid of this board of losers.I dont care if there is someone to take over i just want this lot to know we wont tolerate their lack of ambition, cheapskate decisions and BS any longer.[/quote]

Are you coming to the meeting on Thursday Ricky??

Believe me, I have been one of the most vitriolic detractors of the well-meaning amateurs currently presiding over our darkest period in half a century; however, my conclusion is nevertheless that they are well meaning and amateurish. I do not consider them actively negligent. When looked at as I briefly did above, it can be seen that each of their decisions made some sense at that time. For a few of those decisions to be proven foolhardy would be expected and probably tolerable; for so many to have been, consecutively, is of course confirmation of their amateur status: but it is also, equally, supreme misfortune.That was my only point of mitigation. It really could have been different, because each of their actions had partial merit. If you deny this, you are not being truthful to yourself.

[quote user="ricky knight"]I wish i was way wrong and we were fighting for promotion, believe and as i have said many times, at the end of the day we are all City fans we just think different, i just wish we could all come together be more millitant and work together as fans to get rid of this board of losers.I dont care if there is someone to take over i just want this lot to know we wont tolerate their lack of ambition, cheapskate decisions and BS any longer.[/quote]

Spot on Ricky mate... [Y]

Can''t add anything to that really, apart from it is desperately sad to see even the most positive of City fans finally having all optimism destroyed.

[quote user="Smudger"]

Spot on Ricky mate... [Y]

Can''t add anything to that really, apart from it is desperately sad to see even the most positive of City fans finally having all optimism destroyed.

[/quote]

Fair play Smudger, bet it would have been easy to dish out a ''told you so'' comment there with all the stick you''ve got over the last few years... It is a sad thing, as even when the team has been poor before, there has always been some hope, some special players that the team for next season could be built around (Eadie, Roberts, etc...).  Yet now we find ourselves with a squad of players that could all leave tomorrow and I''d not be bothered, in fact I would book and pay for a taxi for most of them myself...

[quote user="Peter Thorne"]Believe me, I have been one of the most vitriolic detractors of the well-meaning amateurs currently presiding over our darkest period in half a century; however, my conclusion is nevertheless that they are well meaning and amateurish. I do not consider them actively negligent. When looked at as I briefly did above, it can be seen that each of their decisions made some sense at that time. For a few of those decisions to be proven foolhardy would be expected and probably tolerable; for so many to have been, consecutively, is of course confirmation of their amateur status: but it is also, equally, supreme misfortune.That was my only point of mitigation. It really could have been different, because each of their actions had partial merit. If you deny this, you are not being truthful to yourself.[/quote]Absolutely correct.How would things be now if the team had turned up at Fulham? If one or two refereeing decisions had gone differently? If the ball had spun differently when it hit the post? If the Board had risked a couple of mil. extra at the start of the prem. season? ....... I know several people who have put their success down to their brilliant business acumen, when all I can see is extreme good fortune. They''ve gambled & won. I also know others who''ve gambled & lost. (Unlike Bankers, who always win). Luck plays such a huge part in our everyday lives, but nobody wants to admit it - we have to believe we have control over events, otherwise we''d go insane with insecurity.Actually, there''s no such thing as luck, The script was written with the Big Bang, but, since humanity is a subset of Everything, we cannot accurately model the progress of events.So we''ll call it luck.

[quote user="BigFish"]

[:(]

Well Smudger, Cluck, Bly, Ricky Knight, Mr Carrow et all, you have an admission from this Percy that I was wrong. I wanted to believe, to be a supporter which is why my hope triumped over my experience.

I thought we had enough about the team to get out of this. But it is clear when the going gets tough they go missing.

I thought the loan policy was a clever way of getting a better team than we can afford but all it gives is a team with no collective spririt.

I thought Jamie Cureton would score goals[:$]

I thought ambition with prudence would build a platform for success.

I thought Doomy had the finances under control.

I thought we wouldn''t miss Hux.

I was wrong

[/quote]

Big Fish, I think that it goes something like this. There is a growing body of evidence that things are not working out. Against this, there is hope that it will sort it self out. Over time, the evidence grows that it is not ok and at the same time the hope diminishes. There arrives a point where the evidence outweighs the hope. And right now that is where most people are at. The hope is almost gone. There is no shame in holding onto hope for longer than most people have done.

Change your words above from ''I thought...'' to ''I hoped...'' and you can see that you weren''t wrong, just that others let you down.

Hoped, thought, luck, let down.......all amounts to the same in a fan I suppose. I am not sure whether to be warmed or even more dispirited but the response to this post. When the fans streamed for the exits Saturday there was no anger, just resignation and it was that that finally brought it home to me. Fair play to all the Nancy''s who posted in the spirit of the thread, cheers to you all.

Johnstone paint trophy anyone?

BF, if i can point to one positive in a sea of negatives it is that if everyone is brave enough to look the problem in the eye and tell it like it is, we have an obvious starting point to bring the club back together again IMO.  It will be interesting to see what Doncaster and Munby have to say at the NCISA meeting ("At least we haven`t done a Gretna...."?!), but i think it`s too late for them to recant, and we must have new faces and a new approach.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]BF, if i can point to one positive in a sea of negatives it is that if everyone is brave enough to look the problem in the eye and tell it like it is, we have an obvious starting point to bring the club back together again IMO.  It will be interesting to see what Doncaster and Munby have to say at the NCISA meeting ("At least we haven`t done a Gretna...."?!), but i think it`s too late for them to recant, and we must have new faces and a new approach.[/quote]

Blimey, I''ve agreed with Ricky, said something nice to Smudger and now have to agree with you Mr C. This really is ground zero now. Time to sweep out the old & bring in the new.

Not sure where Gunn, Crook, Butterworth & Deehan are in old/new spectrum though.[:^)]

[quote user="Peter Thorne"]Believe me, I have been one of the most vitriolic detractors of the well-meaning amateurs currently presiding over our darkest period in half a century; however, my conclusion is nevertheless that they are well meaning and amateurish. I do not consider them actively negligent. When looked at as I briefly did above, it can be seen that each of their decisions made some sense at that time. For a few of those decisions to be proven foolhardy would be expected and probably tolerable; for so many to have been, consecutively, is of course confirmation of their amateur status: but it is also, equally, supreme misfortune.That was my only point of mitigation. It really could have been different, because each of their actions had partial merit. If you deny this, you are not being truthful to yourself.[/quote]i accused the board of recklessness/negligence following our poor jan window jan08 - which saw a possible late play-off surge freefall into a near relegation battle miss...this time around and in worse circumstances,,,surely the situation called for a short term contract for an experienced man - with 3 good signings at cf, cb and rb and this could have seen us do well...or at least have a good shout...

Bigfish has been over to the dark side but has now seen the light. Hallelujah! Welcome back and don''t be so silly again! [:D]

[quote user="Peter Thorne"]Its a fine line, so don''t concede that you were "wrong". You just took a different point of view to some others. The board''s policies and decisions could have all paid off, or some could have paid off - or none.
  • Their focus on commercial infrastructure was as progressive and attaractive a strategy as you could have found in this division 10 years ago.
  • Their unwillingness to over-invest as we went to the Prem, or after we had come back down, could have been a master stroke; if we had stayed up or been re-promoted, respectively.
  • Plenty would have backed Worthy, with a recent promotion and playoff campaign sitting on his CV, to have bounced us straight back up, just like Charlton and other yo-yo clubs repeatedly did for years prior.
  • Peter Grant: sometimes, tenacious, respected coaches and assistants are a managerial revelation (other times, they are found out as the inexperienced incompetents they are.)
  • Roeder, for all his faults, had two 7th place Premier League finishes on his resume; yes, plenty of red crosses and black question marks; but the backing and respect of Arsene Wenger amongst others.
  • As these gambles have each failed to pay off, they have forced us into secondary risk, such as the necessity of relying on loans to fill the squad. These have compounded the initial failures, so that today, we are a club in absolute disarray, in danger of decaying into a state from which we may not recover.
Like I said, it''s a fine line. You saw it going one way, I may have seen it another; hindsight is a wonderful thing. The board''s decisions could have all paid

off. They made some sense on paper, at least at the time. At the very

least, they could have lucked out a couple of times, with a coupld of

gambles coming out ok. Sadly for them and all concerned, nothing -

literally - has succeeded in the way they hoped.[/quote]your failt peter, your wages were scandelous!

[quote user="lappinitup"]Bigfish has been over to the dark side but has now seen the light. Hallelujah! Welcome back and don''t be so silly again! [:D][/quote]

Glad to be back and I promise not to be so silly again!

........and yes Tony it does feel wonderful[B][:D]

[quote user="BigFish"]

[quote user="lappinitup"]Bigfish has been over to the dark side but has now seen the light. Hallelujah! Welcome back and don''t be so silly again! [:D][/quote]

Glad to be back and I promise not to be so silly again!

........and yes Tony it does feel wonderful[B][:D]

[/quote]

Most of us have been there or at least got close this season, BF!

Like Mavis in "Open all hours" a glass(or 2) of something helps you stay possative and decisive.

Like mid morning coffee with Baileys[;)] I''m now sure we can reach the playoffs!