Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Primus

I have to admit to being a bit confused about the Primus rumour.

I had heard about the Primus bid more than 3 weeks ago and it had got as far as a discussion with the player. However the move fell dead at that stage because his family didnt want to move from the south coast - any one else heard this?

Good to see a definder linked with the club at last though!

OTBC

The only place I have heard about this is the Pinkun site. Had a search on Sat through the Portsmouth sites and saw nothing, not even on the message boards.

Anybody seen anything?

I think we have put in a bid of 650k but it got rejected. Worthy has stated that he was still hopeful that a deal would go through though. It may be that primus has had a change of heart about moving to norwich, especially given that they are about to sign unsworth

The Portsmouth Rivals site was yesterday carrying a story that the £600,000 bid had been turned down by the Pompey board, and the fans on their messageboard were adamant that he would be going nowhere as he was their best defender last season. (They were also making several derogatory comments about what they saw as a derisory offer for such a good player!)

Well, not wanting to get anyone''s hopes up, but I have just read a list of twelve...yes TWELVE defenders Pompey will have available to cover the four defensive positions come the start of the season, including the newly-signed Unsworth. The only chink of light might be if Mr. P figures he might still be in the chasing pack more often than not, and therefore decides that being a bigger fish in a slightly smaller pond (earning bigger crumbs though, apparently) might suit him better. I think the guy is a class act so I hope that something gets sorted, but, as you say Jonzey, if it doesn''t we simply move on.

Looks positive doesn''t it, from the quotes in the EDP this morning. I think he''d be a good signing, and we''d have:

Edworthy
Fleming
Malky
Drury
Briggs
Primus
Charlton
Shackell

in defence, plus Brennan, Holt in an emergency.

That at least means we have the magic 2 players per position, even if the likes of Briggs and Shackell are inexperienced.

Ama

Pompey are being closley linked with a move for French central defender Phillipe Christanvel. Points even more towards them having agreed to Primus coming to us. With Worthys apparant confidence over Primus today, I think it''s looking more an more likely he''s on his way.

I hope you''re right Ama.

But I''m still doubtful we''ll get Primus. Normally when a transfer target is made so public it falls through, I suspect his agent is simply trying to get him a payrise at Portsmouth.

I''d love us to get Primus. He''s a very solid defender who I think could do very well for us. The impression I get from the Pompey end is that they are reluctant to sell. However, how Worthy is talking, it sounds like he''s expecting the player to fly out any day!! I think 600K or even 700K would be a steal but we''ll have to wait and see I suppose...

I have to say the silence from the Pompey end is confusing but it may be that they know any sale will be unpopular with their fans and are trying to get a replacement lined up before anything is announced. Worthy very rarely talks about transfer targets in the way he has about this one and he gives the impression that it is likely to happen. It certainly sounds as if we are talking to either Pompey or the player which in itself is contrary to the official line coming out of Portsmouth.

From the sound of what is on the Pompey sites he''s not on massive wages and is likely to be third choice. We have offered more, first team football and a longer contract. That might sway things!