Sign in to follow this  
Herb

Objectivity...and lack of it

Why is it that so many of the staunchly anti-board contingent on here find it difficult or indeed impossible to have a discussion with anyone who holds even a slightly differing view?I''d put myself in the "disappointed but what can we realistically do?" bracket. I can point to number of decisions made by the current custodians of the club that I find misguided or even plain daft. I do recognise though  that a takeover would not necessarilary mean streets paved with gold leading to a land of milk and honey.It would seem that by holding this opinion a certain vocal minority would label me a "Delia lover" or "apologist for the failings of the board" and stuff like "it''s people like you that are to blame for our position"None of the above are correct, but people spouting such nonsense are divisive and actually make me less likely to move towards their position.If we could have discussions from different points of view without the rules of engagement coming straight from GW Bush school of debate (you''re either with us or against us), a lot more people might reach a consensus, and at the very least there would be less insults flying around between us. We do, after all have the support of a great club in common.Can we all think a little before we type? I include myself in this as it obviously works both ways. 

Good sensible post. You do have to question just what sort of supporter some posters are though. 
Some openly admit they don''t go to Carrow Road any more. Others even come on here wanting us to lose games.

And as you say some just come on here to be argumentitive and insult others

[quote user="Herb"]Why is it that so many of the staunchly anti-board contingent on here find it difficult or indeed impossible to have a discussion with anyone who holds even a slightly differing view?

I''d put myself in the "disappointed but what can we realistically do?" bracket. I can point to number of decisions made by the current custodians of the club that I find misguided or even plain daft. I do recognise though  that a takeover would not necessarilary mean streets paved with gold leading to a land of milk and honey.

It would seem that by holding this opinion a certain vocal minority would label me a "Delia lover" or "apologist for the failings of the board" and stuff like "it''s people like you that are to blame for our position"
None of the above are correct, but people spouting such nonsense are divisive and actually make me less likely to move towards their position.

If we could have discussions from different points of view without the rules of engagement coming straight from GW Bush school of debate (you''re either with us or against us), a lot more people might reach a consensus, and at the very least there would be less insults flying around between us. We do, after all have the support of a great club in common.

Can we all think a little before we type? I include myself in this as it obviously works both ways. 

[/quote]

But I''ve seen plenty of constructive, rational posts about the board''s failings with terse replies along the lines of "get behind the team" and suggestions of disloyalty, not being a "true fan", etc.  That annoys me as much as the doom-merchants.

As you say though, it works both ways.

[quote user="Herb"]Why is it that so many of the staunchly anti-board contingent on here find it difficult or indeed impossible to have a discussion with anyone who holds even a slightly differing view?

I''d put myself in the "disappointed but what can we realistically do?" bracket. I can point to number of decisions made by the current custodians of the club that I find misguided or even plain daft. I do recognise though  that a takeover would not necessarilary mean streets paved with gold leading to a land of milk and honey.

It would seem that by holding this opinion a certain vocal minority would label me a "Delia lover" or "apologist for the failings of the board" and stuff like "it''s people like you that are to blame for our position"
None of the above are correct, but people spouting such nonsense are divisive and actually make me less likely to move towards their position.

If we could have discussions from different points of view without the rules of engagement coming straight from GW Bush school of debate (you''re either with us or against us), a lot more people might reach a consensus, and at the very least there would be less insults flying around between us. We do, after all have the support of a great club in common.

Can we all think a little before we type? I include myself in this as it obviously works both ways. 

[/quote]

I agree with what you are saying in principle, I would like to hear both sides of the fence. everyone knows where I stand, it seems everytime I try and go into depth as to the reasons, I end up getting into a tit for tat internet argument with someone who has nothing else on there mind than to get a reaction out of people. I could name people but that would be sinking to there level. I find posters like Shack Attack, Macs Perm and Nutty Nigel etc informative and constructive, yet you get one or two morons who want to behave like children and not have a sensible debate.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

I agree with what you are saying in principle, I would like to hear both sides of the fence. everyone knows where I stand, it seems everytime I try and go into depth as to the reasons, I end up getting into a tit for tat internet argument with someone who has nothing else on there mind than to get a reaction out of people. I could name people but that would be sinking to there level. I find posters like Shack Attack, Macs Perm and Nutty Nigel etc informative and constructive, yet you get one or two morons who want to behave like children and not have a sensible debate.

[/quote]

When i say tit for tat internet argument, I dont mean i dont like what they are saying, its when they start making things personal and the endless abuse that leads to many decent thread being ruined.

[quote user="JJ"]

But I''ve seen plenty of constructive, rational posts about the board''s failings with terse replies along the lines of "get behind the team" and suggestions of disloyalty, not being a "true fan", etc.  That annoys me as much as the doom-merchants.

[/quote]I think some of that may be frustration at the same old points being trotted out 20 times a day by the same people. Most people with more than a passing interest in the fortunes of NCFC are all too aware of the board''s failings. The "get behind the team" thing is a seperate issue in my opinion though. It should be a given.Whatever your thoughts on the state of the club, it''s hard to see a rational argument against that sentiment, especially now.We really are up a famous brown creek without a propulsion device. The only thing we can do as fans attending games between now and May is to give it our all and hope we manage to drag the team over the finishing line the right side of the bottom 3.

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="JJ"]

[/quote]

I think some of that may be frustration at the same old points being trotted out 20 times a day by the same people. Most people with more than a passing interest in the fortunes of NCFC are all too aware of the board''s failings.

The "get behind the team" thing is a seperate issue in my opinion though. It should be a given.
Whatever your thoughts on the state of the club, it''s hard to see a rational argument against that sentiment, especially now.

We really are up a famous brown creek without a propulsion device. The only thing we can do as fans attending games between now and May is to give it our all and hope we manage to drag the team over the finishing line the right side of the bottom 3.

[/quote]

My bugbear is more a case of people using the "get behind the team" argument on a thread that doesn''t warrant it and towards somebody with a valid point.  I''d like to think on a matchday, everybody on here does get behind them.  If they don''t, they shouldn''t be going.

The facts are -

The board are over the hill, made too many mistakes now, anyone with any sense can see that and so can they the board themselves!

I read with interest in one of the Sunday rags yesterday an article going through all the Premiership clubs owners. More than a few of the clubs are looking for new owners but can''t find anyone to buy them!

What chance have we got of finding new owners when clubs inthe Premiership can''t find new owners?

Certain people who think that selling the club to new owners, indeed finding new owners is a 5 minute simple affair are deluding themselves!

If we get relegated then a peaceful, non agressive protest against the board will become relevent but until then lets get behind the team fully cause we CAN avoid the disaster that would be relegation!

[quote user="JJ"]

[/quote]I quite honestly remember any posts like this, but I''m more than willing to admit that I may have forgotten (or subconsciously ignored) them. I''d be interested if you could quote any?I have seen people (me included) get exasperated with the constant iteration of opinion masquerading as facts. Very few (if any) of us know much about what lies behind the goings on at Board level.It strikes me that if you don''t feel like murdering one or more of the current management team then you''re a "Board Apologist". I think most of us just feel sad.

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="JJ"]

[/quote]

I quite honestly remember any posts like this, but I''m more than willing to admit that I may have forgotten (or subconsciously ignored) them. I''d be interested if you could quote any?
I have seen people (me included) get exasperated with the constant iteration of opinion masquerading as facts. Very few (if any) of us know much about what lies behind the goings on at Board level.

It strikes me that if you don''t feel like murdering one or more of the current management team then you''re a "Board Apologist". I think most of us just feel sad.

[/quote]

To be honest, I don''t think I have the willpower to trawl through the threads and find them.  Most of them are depressing as it is!

jbghost wrote:

"Is Cullum a fan?  - NO

Is he a serious investor in NCFC? -NO

Does he have any intention of investing any money in NCFC? - I very much doubt it

Does he get some strange peverse pleasure out of shafting the club and supporters of a team he claims to support? - I''ll leave you to make up your own minds"

How on earth you can post on a thread about objectivity after posting the above on another thread god only knows......