Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

Crofts Crossing Ability

Was just having a read through the player profiles on the offisite and spotted this.

"Crofts close control, classy dribbling skills and crossing ability makes him a real handful for defenders"

No it bloody doesnt!!!

That site can sometimes be way off the mark.

I haven''t seen too many good crosses from Mr Croft I have to say. Anybody would think that a 30 yard ball into a penalty area is rocket science, the way so many footballers make a complete pig''s ear out of this task.

Croft is a young player who has come along nicely. Just as we stand to benefit from his development so we risk losing him. His sale will be one of the big minuses of the season. But if we do somehow avoid relegation and get him onto a new contract and if a new contract doesn''t affect his head and he stops working hard on his weight and fitness we will have a real talisman going forward into 2009/10.

Agreed, do not think there are many players apart from Croft and Hoola Hoop that opposition defenders would say they were concerned about facing.

That would be fine BBG if Hoolahan wasn''t doing the same thing, leading to a crowded midfield and exposed wings. [:(] Seriously, City need at least one natural winger in the team on a regular basis. [Y]

Croft isn''t a bad crosser of the ball at all. Sure you get a few that aren''t quite good enough but in general they''re more useful than a lot of people think.

Sometimes I''m not sure what people expect, we''re Norwich City, in the Championship. If people want a winger who can beat 3 or 4 defenders at a time regularly and then deliver an inch perfect ball into the box everytime then go and support Man Utd or Real Madrid or Barca or someone like that.

He puts good crosses in, regularly. What we do lack, and have done for some time, is real presence in the box to make a most of anything that''s sent in there.

How often do you watch a player break down the wing for Norwich only to look in the box and realise we''ve got nothing or very little in there to hit? Happens far too often.

I think we have to accept that he''s not the best crosser in the world and get on with it. There are no players who are perfect and everyone has shortcomings. All this does is provide a manager with a reason to replace them when he has the funds to do so. As that is unlikely to happen soon, and as there is no better option at right wing, Crofty has the shirt.

As it goes, I don''t think he''s quite as bad as some people think, and the lack of a reasonable target to hit has been his biggest problem.

Agreed WWLB. As an example, his lovely hanging cross at Doncaster, which Grounds converted. So he can do it but not consistently enough perhaps. However, his speed on the wing, his tenacity, and his reputation, which means he always has at least two defenders on to him, makes him an automatic choice, at the moment

At least he''s one (actually the only one) who can actually excite the crowd by running at the opposition and to think people wrote off Huck''s. Tut tut tut.

For my money, the best crosser of the ball at the club is Rob Eagle, but unfortuantely he doesn''t have the all-round game to warrant a place. Lappin is a good crosser too but may suffer similarly. Haven''t seen Carney yet, but led to believe he can stick a cross in. Wes rarely gets in the right position because he''s too central anywhere near the goal. Matty Patty''s not bad, and is probably the only alternative we have to Crofty but I''d still stick with Crofty because he offers us so much else.

Be thankfull that croft isn''t a perfect crosser... because its a sure bet he wouldnt be here if he was... and anyone that denies that we would miss him at the moment is an idiot in my opinion, 100% effort from start to finish, week in - week out, and in our current position you cant ask for anything else.

And to be honest, after that goal against scum, no one has the right to denie him a game this season... but thats just my opinion.

Croft can corss the ball well but doesn''t do it well enough with is a part of a big problem the club has had for a long time!

We are not direct enough, quick enough and decisive enough in the final 3rd!

We don''t get the ball in the opposotions box enough!

I don''t consider passing sideways and backwards without hurting the opposistion,  good football which many Norwich fans seem to think it is!