Sign in to follow this  
Tom NCFC

The Curious case of..... Donna Powell?

Fisher Athletic are set to make football history when a female manager leads them out for Wednesday''s Blue Square South match against Eastleigh.

Club turnstile operator Donna Powell raised £500 for the struggling club and was rewarded with becoming the first woman to manage a Conference side. "I am confident I can do well - I already run a boys'' football team," Powell told the club''s website. "I am no shrinking violet and do not suffer fools lightly." The 27-year-old, who takes over from regular boss Dave Mehmet for one game, added: "I''ll be picking the team and they''ll be playing my way, none of this long ball nonsense - we''ll be passing the ball on the floor, playing the game the right way. "Sure, I''ll be nervous - I realise there''s a difference between kids'' football and the Conference South but I see it as football is football no matter how old they are - and I know my stuff."

Fisher press officer Joe Arif added: "If Donna can turn things round, then who knows - maybe there''s a permanent position in future." The south London club have lost their last 10 matches and are a point off the bottom of the table, while Eastleigh are joint third in the league.

Eastleigh director of football David Malone said that the appointment "devalues the league". "For me this is a sideshow we can do without. I have no interest in whatever Fisher decide to do - all I want is three points for Eastleigh Football Club," he told the Southern Daily Echo. It''s nothing to do with the fact that''s it''s a woman taking charge - so don''t start accusing me of being sexist. "It wouldn''t matter if it''s a man, a woman, a monkey or a horse. My understanding is that Fisher have sold the manager''s job for £500 and I think that devalues the league.  "If they did it for a friendly or a game that didn''t matter, that might be different. But Fisher are fighting to survive in this league and we''re pushing for promotion. "This is a serious professional league, not a muck-about league, and I don''t think it''s appropriate."

[quote user="Tom NCFC"]

Fisher Athletic are set to make football history when a female manager leads them out for Wednesday''s Blue Square South match against Eastleigh.

Club turnstile operator Donna Powell raised £500 for the struggling club and was rewarded with becoming the first woman to manage a Conference side. "I am confident I can do well - I already run a boys'' football team," Powell told the club''s website. "I am no shrinking violet and do not suffer fools lightly." The 27-year-old, who takes over from regular boss Dave Mehmet for one game, added: "I''ll be picking the team and they''ll be playing my way, none of this long ball nonsense - we''ll be passing the ball on the floor, playing the game the right way. "Sure, I''ll be nervous - I realise there''s a difference between kids'' football and the Conference South but I see it as football is football no matter how old they are - and I know my stuff."

Fisher press officer Joe Arif added: "If Donna can turn things round, then who knows - maybe there''s a permanent position in future." The south London club have lost their last 10 matches and are a point off the bottom of the table, while Eastleigh are joint third in the league.

Eastleigh director of football David Malone said that the appointment "devalues the league". "For me this is a sideshow we can do without. I have no interest in whatever Fisher decide to do - all I want is three points for Eastleigh Football Club," he told the Southern Daily Echo. It''s nothing to do with the fact that''s it''s a woman taking charge - so don''t start accusing me of being sexist. "It wouldn''t matter if it''s a man, a woman, a monkey or a horse. My understanding is that Fisher have sold the manager''s job for £500 and I think that devalues the league.  "If they did it for a friendly or a game that didn''t matter, that might be different. But Fisher are fighting to survive in this league and we''re pushing for promotion. "This is a serious professional league, not a muck-about league, and I don''t think it''s appropriate."

[/quote]

Come on Til1010. Your audience awaits you. [:)]

[quote user="Kathy"][quote user="Tom NCFC"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just a few issues with this Kathy.

I assume as it is an evening game she will have got the kids out of school and got them ready for bed.

Him indoors will obviously have  a takeaway for tea as Mrs P will be out all evening.

Who will open his cans of beer as he watches TV?

Who will be at home to run the bath and put the toilet seat down?

Who will be there to change channels on the TV?

Thinking about it,it all started to go tits up when polling stations flagged up on the female radar Kathy.

Still at the end of the game tonight the Fisher manager will have no need to ask for a volunteer to wash the kit will she?

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Kathy"][quote user="Tom NCFC"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just a few issues with this Kathy.

I assume as it is an evening game she will have got the kids out of school and got them ready for bed.

Him indoors will obviously have  a takeaway for tea as Mrs P will be out all evening.

Who will open his cans of beer as he watches TV?

Who will be at home to run the bath and put the toilet seat down?

Who will be there to change channels on the TV?

Thinking about it,it all started to go tits up when polling stations flagged up on the female radar Kathy.

Still at the end of the game tonight the Fisher manager will have no need to ask for a volunteer to wash the kit will she?

[/quote]

Its a midweek game. Bath time is on Sunday evening.......

Didn''t Donna Powell used to play the drums for Slade?

Alongside guitarist Davina Hill?http://www.slade-weerallcrazee.co.uk/files/dave.html   And Bassist Jemima Lea? 

With Nadaline Holder on Rhythm guitar and Vocals?