Sign in to follow this  
Norfolk White

Preston North End this time last season

I am a North End fan living down here at the moment and would just like to say, all is not lost just yet there is still hope.  Currently, as you know, City have played 33 games and have 32 points, this time last season Preston had played 33 games and had 32 points and the North End fans could not see how we would avoid going down.  However, out of the final 13 games Preston won 22 points giving a total of 55 points and we ended the season above Norwich in 15th place and look where we currently are, 4th from top.  So just don''t give up hope yet although the big difference between the two clubs is that we had/have Alan Irvine as manager and you have Gunny and friends ;0) (who, as I keep reading, bleed yellow and green so that''ll be enough surely to keep you up).

[quote user="Norfolk White"] the big difference between the two clubs is that we had/have Alan Irvine as manager and you have Gunny and friends ;0) (who, as I keep reading, bleed yellow and green so that''ll be enough surely to keep you up).[/quote]

Sadly that is a big difference. Irvine is a well-resepcted coach who learned his trade under David Moyes at a very big premiership club. Gunn used to be Sheriff of Norwich and have a lot of corporate lunches.

God I hope bleeding yellow and green is enough!

Thanks for the injection of optimisim Norfolk White, but the difference is Preston have a decent experienced manager and a board who understand football. And Preston have a history of playing well in this league.

Norwich on the other hand are the perennial underachievers run by muppets.

Thanks norfolk white...an interesting point you''ve made. Still alot of games to be played yet, ive got everything crossed. I just can''t see us going on a run?!?!

[quote user="Norfolk White"]I am a North End fan living down here at the moment and would just like to say, all is not lost just yet there is still hope.  Currently, as you know, City have played 33 games and have 32 points, this time last season Preston had played 33 games and had 32 points and the North End fans could not see how we would avoid going down.  However, out of the final 13 games Preston won 22 points giving a total of 55 points and we ended the season above Norwich in 15th place and look where we currently are, 4th from top.  So just don''t give up hope yet although the big difference between the two clubs is that we had/have Alan Irvine as manager and you have Gunny and friends ;0) (who, as I keep reading, bleed yellow and green so that''ll be enough surely to keep you up).[/quote]

Ironically your resurgence  coincided with your signing of Chris Brown from us !

Well of course this is a relevant point because Preston were regarded by many pundits including some on here and particularly one on Radio Snorefolk as certainties for ther drop. Especially when they pinned their survival hopes on signings like Chris Brown[:O] However Preston went from 33 points after 33 games - and collected 23 points from their final 13 games to end the season on 56. Far from being a one off this type of thing regularly occurs. Again from last season Watford were joint top after 33 games with 59 points. - Certainties to be promoted by many pundits, including many on here, they then picked up just 11 points from the final 13 games, sneaked into the last play-off place and were easily brushed aside in that.

I have posted this before this week and the reason I post it again is because I hope it''s how the club are looking at our season. Our future is decidedly in the players hands. If we pick up 23 points from our last 13 games like Preston did we will stay up regardless of what other sides do but if we only pick up 11 like Watford we will be relegated. Now what would you all prefer the message from the dressing room to be? Do you want the defeatist stuff we get on this board about us already being relegated or do you want rallying cries and realism about what we can do to stay up. If you were Gunny which would you do?