Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

PROMOTION TO THE PREMIERSHIP

There''s fighting talk!!

However I disagree, it was potentially the remaking of Norwich City FC, spectacularly squandered by the egits who run the club. Still, they all pocketed a nice bit of cash from it, who cares about the club eh?!

[quote user="zemas tendon"]Worst thing that ever happened to City[/quote]

Allowing us to get relegated from the premier league by underinvestment, was far worse.

i understand what your saying cos ive had this discussion many times but.....it could have and should have been the making of this club the ONE chance we had to make it the big time. worthington and the BOARD blew it no one else!! .... even the following year when we had a very good team for this league they blew it again....

And guess what.....they''ve blown it AGAIN with gunny...... bless him!

how can promotion be the worst thing that happened to us?

thats almost as bad as saying it would do us good to go down .

if we didnt go up then and recieve the payment the next few seasons afterwards we may have been in bigger trouble alot sooner.

even if we went up for one season , the financial reward is huge for any club.

i sometimes wonder what the supporters of this club actually want ,

I can understand where you''re coming from but disagree entirely. It''s a bit of a spurious argument because I could say ''forming in 1902 was the worst thing that ever happened to us because look where we are now!''

In the Premiership season, we swelled our attendance, attracted players like Ashton, Safri and Bentley, watched us beat ManYoo and Newcastle and put Norwich back on the map. For my money the catastrophe in recent times has been the close season before our first ever crack at the Championship. Out went Svensson, Jonson, Francis, McKenzie, Bentley and passing football, in came Hughes. Jarrett, Thorne, Marney and hoofball.

As I''ve said before, if we had bought Ashton the summer before our Prem season instead of over Chrsitmas, we probably would have stayed up. So what if he would have cost another 2 mil, we would have got far more than that in staying up for another season. As for our club being transformed if we had have stayed up, I think we''d probabaly be like West Brom. 

I agree in some aspects, when we got promoted to the premiership, our fans expectations went through the roof, and they still haven''t come down for some reason..... that took the feel good factor away from the club and made it a place for serial moaners to roam!!!

[quote user="ellis206"]I agree in some aspects, when we got promoted to the premiership, our fans expectations went through the roof, and they still haven''t come down for some reason..... that took the feel good factor away from the club and made it a place for serial moaners to roam!!![/quote]Of course unlike yourself many of these fans with expectations could remember the Club before Delia got her hands on it, Thirty years of never being out the top division for more than a year at a time.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="ellis206"]I agree in some aspects, when we got promoted to the premiership, our fans expectations went through the roof, and they still haven''t come down for some reason..... that took the feel good factor away from the club and made it a place for serial moaners to roam!!!
[/quote]

Of course unlike yourself many of these fans with expectations could remember the Club before Delia got her hands on it, Thirty years of never being out the top division for more than a year at a time.
[/quote]

Great point, Buckethead, I still can''t believe my eyes when I look at the table.
Maybe I look over my shoulders too much, but watching a video of the 92/93 campaign or even one of the 90/91 campaign and then lookin'' at the table now, just leaves me wondering.... Bad directors, bad management...but still great fans...

Agree with you Buckethead - as a fan of about 35 years I see us a Prem club

2 greatest mistakes in my time supporting that I remember were

-not investing in 194/5 when we crumbled to relegation from the Prem having been in a good position

-not backing Martin O''Neil the next season.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="ellis206"]I agree in some aspects, when we got promoted to the premiership, our fans expectations went through the roof, and they still haven''t come down for some reason..... that took the feel good factor away from the club and made it a place for serial moaners to roam!!!
[/quote]

Of course unlike yourself many of these fans with expectations could remember the Club before Delia got her hands on it, Thirty years of never being out the top division for more than a year at a time.
[/quote]

Of course that''s very true but there is a difference hidden behind those bare facts. The big difference is what it cost our club to never be out of the top division for more than a year at a time over those 30 years. Our owners were not wealthy people but they didn''t have to be. Strategy was enough. In comparison the current owners are wealthy but maybe don''t have the strategy. However when you look at similar clubs who manage to hold on to Premier League status in this age you see those with much wealthier benefactors.

Try turning your argument around and asking if those owners during that 30 years could do that now and the answer would probably be no. Could they do it if they had Smith&Jones wealth? The only one I think that would have a chance is Sir Arthur. Because in the main Sir Arthur put the football team above every other consideration. In my opinion Watling and Chase were much the same as the present board so I am sure they wouldn''t.