Sign in to follow this  
Raymond De Waard

I i were Gunny..........

This is the team/formation i would stick with for the rest of the season baring injuries/suspensions: -

Marshall

Grounds                 Doherty            Shackell

Otsemobor                                              Clingan                                       Bertrand  

Croft                                    Hoolahan                     Pattison

Cort

This formation looks like a 3-3-3-1, but it really isn''t that though.

Once i''ve posted this, i hope it comes out as i have displayed the players positions - right now let me explain: -

Grounds/Doherty/Shackell as a central back 3

Otsemobor/Bertrand as attacking full backs, but they have to try and get back if needed - these 2 guys are not out and out defenders!  They are much more than this!  They have pace to burn................so let''s finally use it!  Get them to wreap havoc down the wings!  Give them a free role down them sides.

Clingan sitting in front of the back 3, but would help out in either full back position if thats where the game was stretched too at the time.  His role is the link between defence and midfield, playing the balls through too the front men.....out wide.....over the top......how ever he feels suit.......he''s our best player........we need to use him in the position he is best suited! 

In front of him there is then Croft on the inside right and Pattison on the inside left.  With Hoolahan just infront.  These 3 should be ready and willing to win the ball, receive the ball and make the required runs all the way throughout the match.  They would play either side of Cort up front, due to what i''ve seen of Carl Cort he looks immense when in possession, in the air, on the floor....it doesn''t seem to matter how the ball goes into him, he can deal with it!  Croft, Pattison, Otsemobor, Bertrand and of course Hoolahan should all be providing attacking options when Cort is in posession.

Hoolahan''s role is too ALWAYS be available for Clingan to make the pass too.  If Clingan hasn''t got any better option on, Hoolahan should always make himself available for possession further up the field or by coming short.  This formation then gives plenty of forward passing options.

We are useless at having full-backs.....the ball always seems to still come into the box from the opposition in them areas, especially with Drury at left back!

Let me know your thoughts on this guys.......is it too much attack minded?

[quote user="crabman84"]

This is the team/formation i would stick with for the rest of the season baring injuries/suspensions: -

Marshall

Otsemobor                                              Clingan                                       Bertrand  

Cort

[/quote]F**k knows what it is, to be honest.  It looks like you gave some name stickers to a blind man and told him to get creative.

One big problem with playing this for the rest of the season is that Grounds goes back in a couple of weeks.

Attacking wouldn''t be the problem, it would be the negative attitude of the players who would end up in a disjointed 5-1-3-1 and Cort would be isolated with nobody to pick up his flick-ons.

4-4-2. Simple football. Work it out wide, and sling the bugger in the box at every opportunity.

[quote user="Hoolahoop"]4-4-2. Simple football. Work it out wide, and sling the bugger in the box at every opportunity.[/quote]

Hoolahoop = Howard Wilkinson?!!

To be fair, we''re probably in the situation now where the less complicated we can make it the better. I''d stick with 4-4-2 because there''s not enough time to change it, and I couldn''t bear excuses as to why we''re "settling into the new system" when we lose.

Whilst I agree with 4 - 4 - 2 I dont know if we have the players to do it. Hoolahan does not play wide left but drifts anywhere. Pattison would probably be a better option giving more bite to the midfield. Although many think we have an abundance of midfielders I dont think we have sufficient quality.

Ever since Huckerby signed for us I think the club has played 4 - 2 - 4 with our midfield left short therfore exposing the back four far to much. I would like to see two tough tackling midfielders one each side that can venture forward quickly and with a quality delivery into the box.

One problem nowadays is that so many away teams play 4 - 5 - 1 and we do not dominate the midfield area and boss the game. 

[quote user="crabman84"]

Marshall

Cort

Once i''ve posted this, i hope it comes out as i have displayed the players positions - right now let me explain: -

Otsemobor/Bertrand as attacking full backs, but they have to try and get back if needed - these 2 guys are not out and out defenders!  They are much more than this!  They have pace to burn................so let''s finally use it!  Get them to wreap havoc down the wings!  Give them a free role down them sides.

Clingan sitting in front of the back 3, but would help out in either full back position if thats where the game was stretched too at the time.  His role is the link between defence and midfield, playing the balls through too the front men.....out wide.....over the top......how ever he feels suit.......he''s our best player........we need to use him in the position he is best suited! 

In front of him there is then Croft on the inside right and Pattison on the inside left.  With Hoolahan just infront.  These 3 should be ready and willing to win the ball, receive the ball and make the required runs all the way throughout the match.  They would play either side of Cort up front, due to what i''ve seen of Carl Cort he looks immense when in possession, in the air, on the floor....it doesn''t seem to matter how the ball goes into him, he can deal with it!  Croft, Pattison, Otsemobor, Bertrand and of course Hoolahan should all be providing attacking options when Cort is in posession.

Hoolahan''s role is too ALWAYS be available for Clingan to make the pass too.  If Clingan hasn''t got any better option on, Hoolahan should always make himself available for possession further up the field or by coming short.  This formation then gives plenty of forward passing options.

We are useless at having full-backs.....the ball always seems to still come into the box from the opposition in them areas, especially with Drury at left back!

[/quote]GROUNDS IS ONLY ON A 1 MONTH EMERGENCY LOAN DEAL...WHICH RUNS OUT VERY VERY SOON...opps sorry for shouting

[quote user="crabman84"]

Marshall

Cort

[/quote]

Too wierd for me I''m afraid. The situation calls for a 442.

Marshall

Semi        Doc    Shax       Bertrand

Croft        Clingan  Fozzy   Carney

Cort    Gow

Subs. Russel, Leijer, Killen, Hooly, Nelson

[quote user="Canary02 III"]

[quote user="Hoolahoop"]4-4-2. Simple football. Work it out wide, and sling the bugger in the box at every opportunity.[/quote]

Hoolahoop = Howard Wilkinson?!!

To be fair, we''re probably in the situation now where the less complicated we can make it the better. I''d stick with 4-4-2 because there''s not enough time to change it, and I couldn''t bear excuses as to why we''re "settling into the new system" when we lose.

[/quote]

Not quite but I think, as you mention, we need to keep things as simple as possible. We''ve got a Giraffe up front and he needs to be utilised at every opportunity.

There''s no point confusing things with over complex formations at this stage of the season when we''re firmly in the brown stuff.