Sign in to follow this  
Canary Wanderer

Lowestoft Town's Fitness

An interesting piece today about winning at the end of games because they are the fittest - down to Fleming and Carolyn.

I played and managed top flight teams in another sport, and my best 2 Seasons was when the squad really worked on Fitness above Skill and Stratedgy.

Now that Roeders gone why not get Flem & Carolyn in for say 3 sessions a week.

[quote user="Karl Pilkington"]They needed to. That was the reason that the lost the vase final. By the end of the match they looked dead on their feet. It didn''t help that it was a also a hot day.[/quote]

The reason they lost the Vase Final last year was not so much fitness as the fact Carl Poppy and the rest of the defence did not have a clue how to mark Kirkham & Wesham/AFC Fyldes winger for the whole of the 90 mins and Lowestoft were luck to hold their lead for so long.

Hopefully again this year they have a good opportunity to go one step further.

Although to do that they have to focus on tactics and strategy rather than fitness.

To see 2 or 3 defenders marking nobody on the half way line when they were 3-1 down to 9 men with about 25 mins to go on Saturday (against Hungerford) was daft to say the least!!!

If they are to win it this year then they will have to put a lot more pressure on the ball when they do not have it instead of sitting SO DEEP!

Oh and no I have never seen the infamous WIZ, let alone sat next to him (of course he is more than welcome to come and park his chair next to me @ Bideford a week on Saturday in the quarter-finals if he fancies it).

[quote user="Smudger"]

The reason they lost the Vase Final last year was not so much fitness as the fact Carl Poppy and the rest of the defence did not have a clue how to mark Kirkham & Wesham/AFC Fyldes winger for the whole of the 90 mins and Lowestoft were luck to hold their lead for so long.

Although to do that they have to focus on tactics and strategy rather than fitness.

To see 2 or 3 defenders marking nobody on the half way line when they were 3-1 down to 9 men with about 25 mins to go on Saturday (against Hungerford) was daft to say the least!!!

If they are to win it this year then they will have to put a lot more pressure on the ball when they do not have it instead of sitting SO DEEP!

Oh and no I have never seen the infamous WIZ, let alone sat next to him (of course he is more than welcome to come and park his chair next to me @ Bideford a week on Saturday in the quarter-finals if he fancies it).

[/quote]Agree with some/most of that, but

you''ve still got to agree that was probably the best £6 you''ll spend on

a football match this year.  And yes, Hungerford were a bit unlucky, but they''ve only got themselves to blame.I''ve seen Lowestoft a lot both last season and this and you can certainly see the difference Fleming/Carolan have made.  For instance, Russell Stock is much fitter and it''s helping his all-round game.Anyways, hope you''re not @ Bideford Saturday week - you''ll be about 350 miles away from the game.

Didnt there winger come on as sub in the final?

I think local football is completely different to the pro game. I play Ridgeons currently and the teams that are succesful are the fit ones. Thats why Lowestoft are going well. They have snatched loads of points at the death in matches. Wroxham are an aging team and are not what they were. Dereham are young and energetic....so you can see the pattern.

Some of the best footballing teams are not even in the top 5!

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]Just ask Smudger or Wiz. By the way boys, do you sit together at games?[/quote]

Oi! wash your mouth out Chunky, for local footy, I''m a K & P man![Y]

[quote user="Canary Wanderer"]

An interesting piece today about winning at the end of games because they are the fittest - down to Fleming and Carolyn.

I played and managed top flight teams in another sport, and my best 2 Seasons was when the squad really worked on Fitness above Skill and Stratedgy.

Now that Roeders gone why not get Flem & Carolyn in for say 3 sessions a week.

[/quote]

A bit laughable really, the footballers at NCFC are all professionals. I don''t think the fitness and stamina levels are an issue.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]Just ask Smudger or Wiz. By the way boys, do you sit together at games?[/quote]

[/quote]

Thoroughly washed Wiz. And with Deep Heat for good measure [+o(]

Although now I''m going to commit blasphemy again and have to ask who K & P are [:$]

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

Although now I''m going to commit blasphemy again and have to ask who K & P are [:$]

[/quote]

Kirkley & Pakefield, Lowestofts local rivals.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Kirkley & Pakefield, Lowestofts local rivals.

[/quote]I thought he meant KP crisps while listening to radio commentary.[;)]

[quote user="Eighties Fan"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Agree with some/most of that, but you''ve still got to agree that was probably the best £6 you''ll spend on a football match this year.  And yes, Hungerford were a bit unlucky, but they''ve only got themselves to blame.

I''ve seen Lowestoft a lot both last season and this and you can certainly see the difference Fleming/Carolan have made.  For instance, Russell Stock is much fitter and it''s helping his all-round game.

Anyways, hope you''re not @ Bideford Saturday week - you''ll be about 350 miles away from the game.
[/quote]

Best £6.00 I have spent on a footie match in amny a long year... was GREAT value for money!!!

I agree that Flem & Carolan have made a difference but think this is more to do with Lowestoft''s wise use of the ball at that level rather than just down to fitness.

Last season when they would of given the ball away cheaply.  This season they are holding on to it for longer periods of the game and making things difficult for the opposition.

On Saturday for instance, once they finally took the lead they hung on to the ball and ran the clock down (exactly the right tactics given the dangerous looking nature of the opposition on the break all afternoon and that they only had 9 men who had been ran ragged for a lengthy period of time).

The one time Lowestoft did give the ball away cheaply after taking the lead they were nearly mad to pay for it.

Hopefully they learnt some lessons on Saturday???

Because if they hold their line higher up the pitch and put pressure on the opposition when they have not got the ball... and also ensure that they play to their strengths - not giving the ball away cheaply when they have it... then they have every chance of going all the way this year!!!

[quote user="Eighties Fan"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Agree with some/most of that, but you''ve still got to agree that was probably the best £6 you''ll spend on a football match this year.  And yes, Hungerford were a bit unlucky, but they''ve only got themselves to blame.

I''ve seen Lowestoft a lot both last season and this and you can certainly see the difference Fleming/Carolan have made.  For instance, Russell Stock is much fitter and it''s helping his all-round game.

Anyways, hope you''re not @ Bideford Saturday week - you''ll be about 350 miles away from the game.
[/quote]

Best £6.00 I have spent on a footie match in amny a long year... was GREAT value for money!!!

I agree that Flem & Carolan have made a difference but think this is more to do with Lowestoft''s wise use of the ball at that level rather than just down to fitness.

Last season when they would of given the ball away cheaply.  This season they are holding on to it for longer periods of the game and making things difficult for the opposition.

On Saturday for instance, once they finally took the lead they hung on to the ball and ran the clock down (exactly the right tactics given the dangerous looking nature of the opposition on the break all afternoon and that they only had 9 men who had been ran ragged for a lengthy period of time).

The one time Lowestoft did give the ball away cheaply after taking the lead they were nearly mad to pay for it.

Because if they hold their line higher up the pitch and put pressure on the opposition when they have not got the ball... and also ensure that they play to their strengths - not giving the ball away cheaply when they have it... then they have every chance of going all the way this year!!!

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]That''s would HAVE ignoramus. Thank christ I''m never using you for my print solutions

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

Didnt there winger come on as sub in the final?

I think local football is completely different to the pro game. I play Ridgeons currently and the teams that are succesful are the fit ones. Thats why Lowestoft are going well. They have snatched loads of points at the death in matches. Wroxham are an aging team and are not what they were. Dereham are young and energetic....so you can see the pattern.

Some of the best footballing teams are not even in the top 5!

[/quote]Yes he did.Trigger was devastated for weeks after as he took responsiblity for not having a tighter mark on the goal scorer. 

[quote user="BIC"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

That''s would HAVE ignoramus. Thank christ I''m never using you for my print solutions
[/quote]

Oh dear oh dear oh dear... plop!!! [:$]

5 minutes of perusal and that is the best you can come up with?

You just keep giving me the ammunition on here and I will keep firing my gun.

Quick, quirky, smart V''s very, very dull...

Keep them coming!!! [;)]

Smudger - Out of interest my friend, why do you never talk about football when it''s about Norwich City yet are quite happy to talk about Lowestoft Town?

Like many on here you concentrate practically exclusively on off the field talk about Norwich City commenting nearly soap opera like about the personalties in and around the club off the pitch. There''s a game of football every weekend to discuss, players performances and managers tactics are discussed on here and you never show any interest and yet it''s obvious from these posts that you understand the game well enough to take part. The club get accused of not putting football first and yet you are among a group of posters on here who never show any interest in the football whatsoever.

Not having a pop mate.. just curious.

[quote user="the artist formerly known as VIYAG"]

You would need divine intervention to GET Billy Graham- he is dead!

[/quote]

Billy Graham the wrestler?

jas :)

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Smudger - Out of interest my friend, why do you never talk about football when it''s about Norwich City yet are quite happy to talk about Lowestoft Town?

Like many on here you concentrate practically exclusively on off the field talk about Norwich City commenting nearly soap opera like about the personalties in and around the club off the pitch. There''s a game of football every weekend to discuss, players performances and managers tactics are discussed on here and you never show any interest and yet it''s obvious from these posts that you understand the game well enough to take part. The club get accused of not putting football first and yet you are among a group of posters on here who never show any interest in the football whatsoever.

[/quote]

Ahh my dear old Nutster... maybe it is because the football (on the whole) at Carrow Road has been nothing to get excited about for such a long time now.

Even when we do pull off one unlikely result it is usually swiftly followed by a kick in the ****!

I long for the day when the boys in yella & green will get me excited again, but it just ain''t likely to happen under Delia & Co.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="the artist formerly known as VIYAG"]

You would need divine intervention to GET Billy Graham- he is dead!

[/quote]

Billy Graham the wrestler?

jas :)

[/quote]

Or Billy Graham, Ricky Hattons ex coach??

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Ahh my dear old Nutster... maybe it is because the football (on the whole) at Carrow Road has been nothing to get excited about for such a long time now.

Even when we do pull off one unlikely result it is usually swiftly followed by a kick in the ****!

I long for the day when the boys in yella & green will get me excited again, but it just ain''t likely to happen under Delia & Co.

[/quote]

But the football at Carrow Road is still a great talking point for the fans Smudge. It''s only on the message board where the soap opera of the off the pitch characters are a bigger talking point than the players. Regardless of results there is still football. If all that matters is results then the teleprinter would suffice for the afternoons entertainment. Football is football whether at Carrow Road, Crown Meadow or Sloughbottom. The rest is surely just a side show.