Sign in to follow this  
Boyo

13 games left, can we do it?

We are in the bottom three on 32 points, by one point, we have 13 games left, but lots of the other teams around us have 1, or 2 games in hand on us.  In those 13 games we have teams who are either in or near the top six, and we have two of the top 3.  It sounds almost an impossible task to stay up, but can we do it?  I think this season, 50 points to stay up, which means we need six wins, seven wins should almost definately do the job, but we have lots of good teams to play.

Burnley H - This is a match we could win, but Burnley are a good team this season, and I can only see us getting a draw at best - L
Coventry H - Again a match we could win, but I cant help but see Mckenzie scoring a few to send us to another defeat - L
QPR A - QPR are not the best of sides, and they havn''t done brilliantly this season, we could pick up a point - D
Blackpool A - This is a match we should win, but they are one of our rivals this season, I''m not sure about this one, again a draw - D
Cardiff H - Cardiff are a really good team, I can only see it going one way - L
Plymouth H - Again a team we should beat, and I think we will - W
Birmingham A - Knowing Norwich we will win this, but I can see us getting a sneaky draw - D
Sheff Wed H - This could go either way, and I say a home win - W
Swansea A - The Swans have done well this season, a couple of goals from Jason Scotland could settle it - L
Watford H - One of our relegation rivals, I can see this being a big blow in the stomach to us - L
Scum A - You can never predict a derby match, they could send us down, home win - L
Reading H - A struggling team fighting relegation and a good team looking for promotion, who would you put your money on? - L
Charlton A - Last game of the season, could be the decider, a draw - D

From my predictions, things look bleak, you never know we could find some form and win more than we think!  If something like this does happen we will be looking at around having a total of 41 points, and I don''t think that will be enough.

It''s worthe remembering that we were in a far worse position at the bottom of the table in the Premiership in 2005 but rallied to such an extent that we were out of the bottom three by the start of the last day. We all know what happened then of course, but it just goes to show that it''s silly to write anyone off in February.

Quite right too, we have a new management team we all support, lets have 25000 behind the boys every home match from now until the end of the season.

You never know, we might just manage it.

It does look a very tough run-in with Burnley (who always beat us), QPR away, Birmingham away, Swansea away, Scum away and Reading at home. If we can get a couple of draws out of that and beat Watford, Charlton, Plymouth and Coventry, we could be all right.

I haven''t actually checked them out but from what I''ve been hearing on these messageboards, Watford and Charlton have very easy run-ins. After the next two games, we''re playing teams fighting for the play-offs or fighting for survival.

However as the above posters have said, we''re not down yet. I would be incensed if the players gave up the fight now so we, as supporters, should act in the same why.

In a way, I think it''s better to be in this position NOW - when there is time to do something about it - than to be in, say, 16th position & feeling fairly safe. It''s very easy to drift down the table from there & it wouldn''t surprise me at all to see one or two mid-table teams heading towards relegation. In fact the trough may have come too early!The team have shown the ability to beat any team in this league. The problem is having the real, genuine will & desire to beat each & every team week in week out. This is evidently missing.As usual, it comes down to motivation. We can only hope that the prospect of dwindling wages & career prospects will be enough to kick them up the collective backside. A bit of pride would help as well.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Of course we can do it1

We aren''t relegated yet as some fans seem to think we are!

[/quote]

I agree! I can''t wait till the end of the season and we have stayed up! And you will all soon be talking about who we should sign and who will we get rid of!

I can''t wait for transfer talk at the end of the season!

For me your predictions are a little bleak Boyo but not by much. I end up with 45 points which is going to be very very tight.

It looks obvious that unless we produce something well above the rest of the seasons standard we are going to have to rely on another team doing even worse than us to survive. Of the candidates around us the only one that really falls into that category is plymouth. Toss a coin anyone?

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]

For me your predictions are a little bleak Boyo but not by much. I end up with 45 points which is going to be very very tight.

It looks obvious that unless we produce something well above the rest of the seasons standard we are going to have to rely on another team doing even worse than us to survive. Of the candidates around us the only one that really falls into that category is plymouth. Toss a coin anyone?

[/quote]

I did the BBC champioship predictor again today (like I seem to be doing every day) and had us staying up on goal diffence with a point at Charlton! Forest to go down (with Southampton & Charlton).

The only possible way we''re going to stay up is if Plymouth or Forest play worse than us. Sounds stupid, but I just can''t see an amazing revival in our form. It leaves our fate in the hands of others being even worse.

Then there''s the factor that Sturrock will probably soon get the sack, giving Plymouth a new manager boost.

Of course we can do it! Lets not let the fact that we are utter and complete crap cloud our perceptions. Sheer grit and determination will see us safe!

Yes, We CAN do it. Whether we WILL is a different matter.

However, when you think about us averaging 1.03 points per game, applying that to our current total gives us 45 points and I don''t think that will be sufficient.

Cureton being quoted today that the players have had a reality check with 13 games left is quite worrying when we saw the writing on the wall 13 games in.

I really, really do hope we can average 2 points per game to hopefully make us safe before Ipswich but I''m not convinced if I''m honest.

we have got to win 6 games to stand a chance, thats an awfull lot of games i cant see us winning more then four. i can see us maybe winning 3 of the next four but then slacking off becuase we then think we will be safe and then get dragged back into the bottom three in the last few games and unable to get back out

[quote user="lincoln canary"]we have got to win 6 games to stand a chance, thats an awfull lot of games i cant see us winning more then four. i can see us maybe winning 3 of the next four but then slacking off becuase we then think we will be safe and then get dragged back into the bottom three in the last few games and unable to get back out[/quote]

If we win three out of the next four we would walk to safety!

We WILL finish above Southampton and Charlton - No worries. Not trying to knock those teams but those clubs have fundamental problems which are far more serious than ours.That leaves us 39 points to try and get the better of one other team. We CAN do it, of course we can. I suspect we are probably one of the poorest 5 teams in the Champ''ship, but not in the bottom 3. Not yet anyhow.So until then - keep on supporting!!!!!!!

As Bob The Builder would say.....yes you can.  You are in trouble, yes, but you are not yet adrift from the rest of the pack.

On various threads people have commented that you may need other results to help you.  I would only say that this applies to football in whichever direction you are heading. If you are up near the top you need those at the top to slip up as well, to drop the points they are expected to gain etc while you hopefully gain them or pick up a point they don''t expect you to.

At this time last year Colchester were dead and gone from your League and knew it.  You are not in that position

Yes you can do it but whether you will or not is football.  I hope you do as relegation is never fun either for the supporters or the club and personally I''ve never managed to buy into the theory (in the best part of sixty years watching football) that "it will do the club good."

And yes, some of you were quite pleased (if guilty about it) that Ipswich beat Forest.  That''s also football - don''t be ashamed.

Luton Town (who once supplied the England goalkeeper): Wembley Cup Final, Blue Square Conference after that.  And there will be trouble at the final.

Funny old game isn''t it?