Sign in to follow this  
ur just a man in a jacket

Whoever does go down...they WERE big clubs

We are guessing that either Charlton, Southampton, Watford or Barnsley will be going down. I am not talking about Norwich going down as i dont want to be classed as being negative and think we need to give it til after the Coventry match to see exactly where we are!

Take us out of the equation and you still have Charlton, Southampton and Watford who all have been in the premiership within the last 4 or 5 seasons. It it quite incredible to see and shows the difference in money pumped into clubs in the top half and bottom half of the premiership.

It is very sad that the likes of us, Watford, Southampton and Charlton are struggling. All four have great support and are pretty big clubs. None really deserve it either as they haven''t exactly done a leeds with the over spending. Very sad.

It just shows how dangerous relegation from the Premiership is when clubs have to drastically cut their budgets and dump their most expensive players, decimating their squads. If they cut too much, they end up being uncompetitive in a very tough league.   

I reckon Hull must be wondering what on earth they''ve done with Jimmy Bullard.  £5m for somebody who didn''t have long left on his contract and had a cruciate knee problem previously.  Now he''s out for the season after 36 mins.  James Beattie is on a VERY high wage at Stoke too.  Trust me on that one.  The Prem can do strange things to clubs.

If those guys come down, they could struggle the same as us, Soton, Watford, Charlton, etc.  Mind you, if Spurs or Newcastle come down, it may be just as bad!

[quote user="JimRoyle"]If City were to go down along with Southampton and Charlton, then along with possibly Leeds that would be four so-called "big" clubs in the third tier of English football next season - would that be a record I wonder?!
[/quote]

I remember about 20 years ago Wolves, Bolton, Burnley and Cardiff playing together it the 4th Division. Let''s hope it never gets that bad!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="JimRoyle"]If City were to go down along with Southampton and Charlton, then along with possibly Leeds that would be four so-called "big" clubs in the third tier of English football next season - would that be a record I wonder?!
[/quote]

I remember about 20 years ago Wolves, Bolton, Burnley and Cardiff playing together it the 4th Division. Let''s hope it never gets that bad!

[/quote]

Why? This is one of the reason I love football. Because with every "big" club doing bad, there is a "small" club up their punching above their weight.

As much as I''d (I''ll) hate it if (when) we go down, how can you enjoy the high''s if you don''t experience the low''s?

No matter how cold the winter, there''s a springtime ahead. I just hope the winter doesn''t get much colder.

[quote user="JJ"]

I reckon Hull must be wondering what on earth they''ve done with Jimmy Bullard.  £5m for somebody who didn''t have long left on his contract and had a cruciate knee problem previously.  Now he''s out for the season after 36 mins.  James Beattie is on a VERY high wage at Stoke too.  Trust me on that one.  The Prem can do strange things to clubs.

If those guys come down, they could struggle the same as us, Soton, Watford, Charlton, etc.  Mind you, if Spurs or Newcastle come down, it may be just as bad!

[/quote]

We really need to start fighting to have another "Premiership" in England as it is the only answer. We need a group of clubs that includes Soton,Charlton, Watford, Norwich, Leeds. Sheffield. Bristol to break away from the Football League and form competition to the Premiership. There would be no promotion/ demotion allowing the clubs who are members to plan long term and sell long term advertising and TV rights, Within 3 to 5 years this alternative League would be as strong and as rich as the Premiership. The winners of both Leagues would play for the Championship of England at Wembley and go on to represent England in Europe.

Oh not that rubbish again.And tell me how the "smaller" clubs are supposed to survive this?So your solution to the ever-widening gap between the rich and poor clubs is to... add another group of clubs who earn the same amount of money and make things even worse by getting shot of promotion and relegation altogether, killing off interest in the lower leagues totally as those teams will never be able to get into the new "improved" Premier League regardless of how well they do.I would suggest one of the solutions would be clubs including Norwich get their houses in order and run them properly and not like total amateurs. Nothing we can do about the fact the top clubs get absurd sums of money but we can at least make sure we make the best of what we do have and that is something we (and plenty of others) have failed to do, therefore we are in the position we thoroughly deserve to be.

[quote user="glove1"]

We are guessing that either Charlton, Southampton, Watford or Barnsley will be going down. I am not talking about Norwich going down as i dont want to be classed as being negative and think we need to give it til after the Coventry match to see exactly where we are!

Take us out of the equation and you still have Charlton, Southampton and Watford who all have been in the premiership within the last 4 or 5 seasons. It it quite incredible to see and shows the difference in money pumped into clubs in the top half and bottom half of the premiership.

[/quote]

Can I pont out that Barnsley have also had a stint in the Premier League in the last 8/9 years.

[quote user="paul moy"]

It just shows how dangerous relegation from the Premiership is when clubs have to drastically cut their budgets and dump their most expensive players, decimating their squads. If they cut too much, they end up being uncompetitive in a very tough league.   

[/quote]

"Blame it on the Premiership" 

Neil''s Bumper Book of Lame Excuses p.264

For Charlton, Southampton, Watford and Norwich read Reading, Sheffield United, Birmingham, Wolves, West Brom - even Palace, Coventry and Ipscum who aren''t exactly pulling up trees but at least they''re competing to the best of their ability.  All these clubs have been relegated in recent years but that''s where the similarity ends.  Each club has its own reasons for being where it is: for example a club who went up for a single season will have a different set of problems to Southampton who were relegated after 27 years in the top flight.  

Our downfall has been a disregard for the most essential element of any football club, the desire to compete.  It has been an issue ever since the present regime took over and it speaks volumes for Worthy that he managed to achieve what he did in spite of it.  Without his input we''d have been in League 1 several seasons ago imo, and I''m not at all hopeful that we would survive another season in the Champ even if we managed to stay up this time, without a radical change of outlook and/or personnel in the boardroom.  

The desire to compete is the lifeblood of any football club and by far its most valuable asset.  It''s something that no amount of money can buy.  It isn''t the sole responsibility of the "football department" - unless it''s the motivating force of the whole club from top to bottom, it won''t manifest itself on the field of play with any regularity.  You can''t turn it on and off like a tap, and if you don''t keep the blood circulating the patient dies. 

Doncaster & Co have never got to grips with that fundamental reality.  If they are unable or unwilling to do so they are not fit to run a football club.

Re the possibility of Premier League 2 - they''re planning to do just that in Scotland and I''m sure there will be people in this country watching with interest to see how it pans out. I think it must come, but I wouldn''t want it to be a closed shop. Smaller clubs need to have a dream and something to aim for.

I still have to say i still cant get my head around how Charlton have managed to get themselves in such a mess and im guessing they are still getting parachute payments as its only their second season down.

[quote user="ndhscanary"]

I still have to say i still cant get my head around how Charlton have managed to get themselves in such a mess and im guessing they are still getting parachute payments as its only their second season down.

[/quote]

Its turning out that Charlton weren''t the well run club we always thought they were.  A huge amount of their income went straight into wages and they''ve paid off 3 managers in less than two years.  They''ve made some pretty bad buys too.

We used to think Norwich were a well-run club too, years and years ago in the earlier days of the Chase regime (before it all went pear-shaped). Just three years ago we were talking about Charlton as the model we should aspire to of course! The truth is that the financial climate of football is such that (apart from maybe the top four in the Premiership) what happened to Charlton could happen to anybody, no matter how well-run they seem to be.