Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

'....and, ideally, a super-stadium somewhere in East Anglia.'

Check the story in today''s Telegraph about potential grounds for the 2018 World Cup bid reproduced below.

Quite frankly, if AC and Inter can share the San Siro I don''t see why Norwich and Ipswich couldn''t share a greenfield stadium on the border. Mind you, one suspects that it would have to be exactly 50% in each of Norfolk and Suffolk.

A year or two ago I would never have considered supporting such a concept. But now......given modern football realities........and given the recession/depression............and given the local shortage of billionaires and having experienced the 1966 World Cup first hand ........and ......and .........., I''m starting to think ''why not?''.

FA home in on Twickenham for World Cup

Twickenham, the sacred home of rugby union, is being considered as a venue for the football World Cup of 2018.

By Henry Winter
Last Updated: 8:51PM GMT 19 Feb 2009

Negotiations between the Football Association and the Rugby Football Union will inevitably be sensitive, partly because nearby residents might resist the idea of the stadium being used for more events.

The FA are deciding on which stadiums to include in their bid document to be presented to Fifa, the governing body of the global game who will announce the winners in December 2010. No contact has yet been made with the RFU, but Twickenham meets all the Fifa requirements.

The capacity is 82,000 and the pitch is big enough for football – 105m by 68m – while the surrounding land gives Fifa somewhere to plant their huge corporate and media villages.

Although the train system has proven to be a nightmare after matches, Twickenham is close to motorways and Heathrow.

Twickenham has been used for rugby league before but never football and the move is likely to concern traditionalists. However, the financial rewards of hosting two or three World Cup matches would be considerable to the RFU.

Fifa have already indicated that a city can have up to three stadiums, which would strengthen the FA''s bid as London would then offer Wembley, Twickenham and probably the Emirates.

White Hart Lane – even rebuilt – and Stamford Bridge have been considered but both lack areas nearby for Fifa facilities.

The number of stadiums used varies between World Cups, but Fifa suggest "in the region of 12'''' for a one-nation host (Japan/South Korea had more).

Manchester will stage games at Old Trafford and Eastlands while the new Anfield, if it gets constructed, will be a strong contender for some of the finals'' most prestigious games if the FA succeed in winning the right to host the World Cup.

The North-East could offer two stadiums, but Sunderland''s Stadium of Light is a definite because of the space around the ground.

Villa Park is also a definite in the West Midlands and Hull City''s KC Stadium is a potential venue.

Seeking to spread venues across the country, the FA would like a new stadium in Bristol, a transformed Fratton Park in Portsmouth and, ideally, a super-stadium somewhere in East Anglia.

OTBC

for the distance to be shared equally the stadium would most probally have to be built in suffolk wouldnt it? i cant imagine norwich playing their home games not in norwich. on the plus side though a "super stadium" would need super infrastructure so a major revemp in rail and roads would have to be done aswell

why bother talking about it, you know places like northampton, bedford and luton and watford are sometimes classed as "east anglia" so in 2018 watford will be playing in a empty 50,000 seater, the FA and media are never interested in norfolk and suffolk

Cam may be right in the longer term. However Fifa, unless it changes its mind, decided in December that the hosts for the 2018 AND the 2022 World Cups would be decided next year, before the London Olympics can have an impact either way.

I don''t think Norwich and Ipswich sharing a stadium is a possibility - the logistics of trying to decide on the location when the two clubs are 40 miles apart render it impractical. If it did happen it would be on the basis of either City or Town (or maybe someone like Cambridge) having the chance of sole tenancy.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]I suspect that after the 2012 Olympics we won''t be asked to host anything................[/quote]

It''s surprising they didn''t dump us after our contribution to the closing ceremony in Beijing. But maybe they would''ve if they could''ve.

OTBC

Carrow Road could surely be made bigger to hold over 40,000?

Put another tier on both the City stand and Jarold stand, fill in the upper tier corners of a new City stand upper, fill in the corner between the Barclay and the Jarold and then build a bigger Barclay end!

I wouldn''t want to see the club move away from Carrow Rd cause the locations perfect in terms of being just out of the City, near the A47, close to the rail station and like I said above the ground can be enlarged.

Moving to a souless out of town location would all but kill it for me really and sharing with Ips*it which is 43 miles from Norwich is ludicrous!

Can''t see a shared "super stadium" ever happening. There would be huge problems with the colour of seats (would you want a season ticket where you are sitting on a crappy blue coloured seat every week?).  I for one, would feel that a huge part of the tradition and history of Norwich City FC would die if the club ever moved outside Norwich - let alone if it was to be moved to the county border and we had to share a ground with the scum.

[quote user="Smeg"]

why bother talking about it, you know places like northampton, bedford and luton and watford are sometimes classed as "east anglia" so in 2018 watford will be playing in a empty 50,000 seater, the FA and media are never interested in norfolk and suffolk

[/quote]

QFT. End of discussion.

If a super stadium means refurbishing and expanding either Norwich or Ipswich - then the FA would surely go with NCFC.

It could easily be expanded to 40-50k. Train is close!

Ipswich have gone to the max with out moving grounds. Don''t think they would have the change to do it.

However not that NCFC have the money at the moment but TPI (Tender Price Index) is down until 2011. Meaning that construction works will be less than peak climate 2/3Q2008

[quote user="Colchester Canary"]

If a super stadium means refurbishing and expanding either Norwich or Ipswich - then the FA would surely go with NCFC.

It could easily be expanded to 40-50k. Train is close!

Ipswich have gone to the max with out moving grounds. Don''t think they would have the change to do it.

However not that NCFC have the money at the moment but TPI (Tender Price Index) is down until 2011. Meaning that construction works will be less than peak climate 2/3Q2008

[/quote]

And you know how our lot are about off-the-field investment................

[:-*]

And R G Carter is it.........?

OTBC

One of the reason why i love NCFC is because the club has a traditional, beautiful, rich of atmosphere stadium in that beautiful city that is Norwich.

I''m not interested in a great stadium outside the city shared with our most hated rivals.

Carrow Road is simply perfect for the dimensions of the city of Norwich.

The thing I don''t understand is why World Cup stadiums need to hold so many people. Surely you want the stadiums to be full? There is absolutely no reason that in a small country like the UK, the World Cup shouldn''t be spread around as many grounds as possible, with the smaller grounds, like Carrow Road and/or Portman Road hosting matches between the less-supported teams. Germany''s World Cup took a step towards this. I''d love to see Trinidad versus Croatia in the WC at Carrow Road. The idea of Norwich and Ipswich sharing an out-of-town stadium is a terrible idea, even by Bly''s standards of terrible ideas.

[quote user="Smeg"]

[/quote][Y] this is the most likely scenario in my eyes.  There is quite simply not transport infrastructure around here, Ipswich maybe just, but I''d say there isn''t a cat in hells chance of it being in Norwich.

I''m betting that if a new stadium was to be built in the Anglia region it would more likely to be in Cambridgeshire than in Norfolk or Suffolk.There has been talk for several years about building a multi-purpose ''community'' stadium on the outskirts of Cambridge for United and City to share (or maybe even Histon who look the most likely to see league football in the near future).  It would probably make more sense too if you think about it, good road links to the rest of the country (M11 and A14), 45 minutes to London on the train and 30 minutes to Stansted airport..  Admittedly none of the Cambridge teams would fill a big stadium week in week out but I still think this would be a more realistic option than Norfolk or Suffolk in the eye of the organisers.....

hmm.. a super stadium in "east Anglia, a team on the rise with premiership aspirations would play there surely.. a team that is still in the process of building of its stadium and is a short hop to London... Milton Keynes anyone?

Thats about as "east anglian" as John O''Groats imo...

jas :)