Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's Report v Burnley

Well the omens looked bad as I strolled up over Trowse bridge and saw two trains pass in different directions. Obviously the message there was 1 goal in each net.

We huffed, we puffed but never ever looked capable of blowing any houses down. From the moment Corts fine header was brilliantly turned aside it was obviously only a matter of time before Burnley had their one chance and took it. I thought Burnley were very average but they didn''t need to exert themselves very much to secure a deserved point. Indeed they could have snatched it in injury time. I can''t fault the boys for effort but you get the impression that even they don''t believe its going to happen for them.

It was good to see Jamie get a goal but in truth he never looked dangerous for me. Cort had another decent game and when he was substituted we rarely looked dangerous again. When the substitutions came they killed the game because nobody was good enough to run with the ball like Wes had done. Perhaps he and Cort had shot their bolts but the whole game died when they went off.

Sad to say that the writing is beginning to be chalked on the wall. If we don''t beat Coventry then it will look a hard task indeed. I expected this to be a difficult season but I really thought that there were half a dozen teams worse than us. Tonight, I am finding it hard to name anymore than two.

Its soo annoying that we have the ball so much, but cant do anything with it, with a (should be) fox-in-the box goal scorer, and what could be a decent target man, we cant do it up-front, Hoolahan is the only real source of skill and the pitch, Croft runs, chases take players on, but the final product from him is still too rare, defence was fairly solid today, Marshall should have held that ball, Semmy has just faded away

Thanks Ricardo even you sound depressed tonight.

You, like me have supported City for many years (50 for me) this is now rapidly becoming the most depressing time I can remember.

I feel we have lost our club totally, Gunn and compaany cannot bridge that gap for me. The feeling has just about gone

[quote user="The Butler"]

Thanks Ricardo even you sound depressed tonight.

You, like me have supported City for many years (50 for me) this is now rapidly becoming the most depressing time I can remember.

I feel we have lost our club totally, Gunn and compaany cannot bridge that gap for me. The feeling has just about gone

[/quote]

Next season will be my 56th Butler.

A shame that it looks like being in the same division as my first.

Couldn''t fault the effort today but I can''t fathom out how Burnley finished the stronger side when they have played twice as many games as us this year, thought we were supposed to be one of the fittest sides in the league. Couldn''t fault the effort but the fact is we weren''t good enough to win a game we really needed to win, for his size Cort seems to get knocked off the ball far to easily and Killen was woeful when he came on. The defence seemed to be bamboozled by the speed of Burnleys play when they equalised and it could have been worse if they had converted one of the decent chances they had in the last few minutes.

Spot on Ricardo, as usual.Sad isn''t it? It''s looking ominous. Burnley were really out on their feet today but we failed to really trouble them - a good 10-15 minutes after we scored a very good goal aside. Indeed had we played for another ten minutes or so we probably would have lost, seeing as any chance at all we had of scraping a win vanished with Hoolahan going off.I must say Gunn and his little team look frighteningly out of their depth but that was always going to be the case. Just "bleeding yellow and green" is nowhere near enough. Where was Carney? What purpose does Killen serve? Why take Hoolahan off and replace him with the more defensive Bertrand, with the appalling Grounds still on the pitch? Why play Clingan and Fotheringham together? Just why? What a shambles, this club deserves relegation and will most probably get it.

It''s becoming increasingly worrying. We''ve got very little cutting edge. Carl Cort is doing well for us but we haven''t got anyone good enough to play upfront with him. Jamie got his goal today but did very little else, we need a bit of pace.

Croft is starting to struggle a bit as well, don''t know whether he''s got a little bit of an injury problem or something but the last couple of games his performances have become tired earlier than usual.

Thought Hoolahan was superb today, he''s a little genius with the ball at his feet. Even if he wanted to come off I''d have ignored him and kept him on.

Killen was useless against Barnet reserves and, unsurprisingly, was useless when he came on today.

Well Ricardo, you definitely sound down in the mouth and because, sitting down here in Southampton, I await your report after every home game, I must admit that it disturbed me ! I managed to kick the ball past my dog at the first attempt when I took him for a walk today so naturally I thought it would be a 1-0 for us today ! I see that this is your 56th season supporting Norwich and I must go back a similar period of time. The firt game I remember my father taking me to was the 2nd leg of the league cup final against Rochdale,  a mid week evening game if I remember correctly. Now the old third division is a real possibility again after half a century. Not a happy prospect. However, I still feel that we are overdue some luck and that clubs around us have a more difficult run in. I''m not someone who feels that you should always "take the positives" from games because this has become too trite but one positive for me was Daley having a run out. I hope he is given more of a chance. Have a good evening Ricardo.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

I must say Gunn and his little team look frighteningly out of their depth but that was always going to be the case. Just "bleeding yellow and green" is nowhere near enough. Where was Carney? What purpose does Killen serve? Why take Hoolahan off and replace him with the more defensive Bertrand, with the appalling Grounds still on the pitch? Why play Clingan and Fotheringham together? Just why? What a shambles, this club deserves relegation and will most probably get it.
[/quote]

Our 2 best players against Barnet reserves the other night must have been Carney and Lappin. Our worst player in that game must have been Killen. Yet he got on the pitch today and neither of the other 2 were even in the squad. Oh dear.

Yeah I agree, I was at the Barnet match as well. It just beggars belief to be honest, if Killen had no effect against Barnet''s reserve team the chances are he''s not going to be too hot against Burnley in a first-team game. Though the one time he did flick the ball on well in the area there was no-one there on the end of it.

[quote user="Lord Snooty"]Well Ricardo, you definitely sound down in the mouth and because, sitting down here in Southampton, I await your report after every home game, I must admit that it disturbed me ! I managed to kick the ball past my dog at the first attempt when I took him for a walk today so naturally I thought it would be a 1-0 for us today ! I see that this is your 56th season supporting Norwich and I must go back a similar period of time. The firt game I remember my father taking me to was the 2nd leg of the league cup final against Rochdale,  a mid week evening game if I remember correctly. Now the old third division is a real possibility again after half a century. Not a happy prospect. However, I still feel that we are overdue some luck and that clubs around us have a more difficult run in. I''m not someone who feels that you should always "take the positives" from games because this has become too trite but one positive for me was Daley having a run out. I hope he is given more of a chance. Have a good evening Ricardo.[/quote]

Thank you your Lordship, yes I remember that night very well. We had won the first leg away 4-1 so it was a bit of an anti climax. However it was the first bit of silverware I saw us win (thats if you don''t count the Lowestoft Fishermans Widdows and Orphans Cup)

LOL

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Yeah I agree, I was at the Barnet match as well. It just beggars belief to be honest, if Killen had no effect against Barnet''s reserve team the chances are he''s not going to be too hot against Burnley in a first-team game. Though the one time he did flick the ball on well in the area there was no-one there on the end of it.
[/quote]

Well this is it, when Cort went off I sat there thinking "Well Jamie and Killen couldn''t do anything against Barnet reserves, what are they going to do against Burnley??"

To think that we got rid of a talented player like Lupoli but can accomodate players like Cureton and the even worse Killen.... very uninspiring, to say the least.

I''ve been trying to convince myself that we would mount a late charge,  but today has just about knocked the final bit of stuffing out of me. It wasn''t that we were bad, or didn''t try, but the inevitability of the defensive cock ups and the lack of a consistent goal threat just dulls the senses after a while. Any side that plays Semmy on a regular basis must be very poor indeed, and where the hell was Carney?

Time for a large amount of wine, I think!

It''s very sad to hear Ricardo. I just don''t feel excited by the fact that I''ll see us play coventry next week and it''d be my first game in 2 months. It''s bad times. Thanks.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

I''ve been trying to convince myself that we would mount a late charge,  but today has just about knocked the final bit of stuffing out of me. It wasn''t that we were bad, or didn''t try, but the inevitability of the defensive cock ups and the lack of a consistent goal threat just dulls the senses after a while. Any side that plays Semmy on a regular basis must be very poor indeed, and where the hell was Carney?

[/quote]

I told you we would be better off with a postponed game!!

Passed the wine and now on the hard stuff, supporting Norwich is making me an alcaholic HIC!!!

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

I told you we would be better off with a postponed game!!

Passed the wine and now on the hard stuff, supporting Norwich is making me an alcaholic HIC!!!

[/quote]

Try some Yeats, folks, starting with The Second Coming!

TURNING and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Oh well!

Another wee dram, and then some coffee, and.......... 

OTBC

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Yeah I agree, I was at the Barnet match as well. It just beggars belief to be honest, if Killen had no effect against Barnet''s reserve team the chances are he''s not going to be too hot against Burnley in a first-team game. Though the one time he did flick the ball on well in the area there was no-one there on the end of it.
[/quote]

Add me to the list of agree-ers! Killen did nothing last Tuesday to suggest him even being on the bench today. When Cort went off any attacking threat we had went with him. Hoolahans departure was then the tin hat. The only real option if Cort had to be subbed would have been to move Grounds to centre back, Bertrand to left back and put put The Doc up front. He would at least have won some headers. It seems Gunny was happy with a point because had we have been losing Doherty would have gone up front.

Point won or two lost - you decide.

And where was that urgency from the bench too?

We needed three points so with a couple of minutes to go why not push doc up then and go 4-3-3,  bertrand left the sideways twins and croft in the middle and killen and poor luke daley to feed of doc aerial attempts???

Poor across the board,  3 decent players in doc cort and hoolahan are not enough to save us from relegation    

Yes, that''s the point I was making Zip. I can only assume that the bench saw it as one point gained. Let''s hope they''re right.