Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

Re: Who can remember life in the third division?

Oh, come on, Wiz. Deep down you really hanker for those days of your childhood when we were playing in blue and white halves in the Norfolk and Suffolk League at Newmarket Road, with a rope to keep the spectators from running on to the field, and the height of our ambition was the Hospital Cup!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Oh, come on, Wiz. Deep down you really hanker for those days of your childhood when we were playing in blue and white halves in the Norfolk and Suffolk League at Newmarket Road, with a rope to keep the spectators from running on to the field, and the height of our ambition was the Hospital Cup![/quote]

Make light of it if you must PC, but the third tier of English footy these days is a graveyard. You''re one bad season away from  League 2 (4th division) and then the conference................who''s to say that given the current boards credentials and record that they won''t do a Oxford and Luton![:S]

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="First Wizard"]

I''ll nail my colours to the mast.

But of course, way back in those wonderful Smith free days at Carrow Road, football was the most important thing, not resturants, spin, lies, gift stores or hotels etc.

Sadly, the second time around won''t be as much fun as back then.

[/quote]

I can Wiz and not that much difference!!

Blankets being carried round the ground to collect enough money to pay the players. That might well return!

A team you could recogize because they were ours and wanted to be here, many still are.

Taking on the big boys in cup matches and enjoying the football.

Times were more inocent then or I was[:)]

[/quote]

And me Butler.

I well remember the blankets coming round the ground and people chucking spare change in so that the club could pay the players wages.

I think it was part of Arthur South''s plan to raise "Fity Thousand Shillings".

I think Eastern Counties Newspapers paid the players one week and another time Kings Lynn lent us £500 to keep going.

Funny old times indeed and I never expected to go back to it again.