Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Cheer up! We can reintroduce standing in the 3rd division.

[quote user="BDCSid"]

InchHigh, sing up the River End, Gazza, hellococker, Mello, Shack Attack, Armatage Shanks, BIC.........thanks for making me realise that there are what we call normal supporters still following our club.  Apart from the back of Blocks D & E of the Barclay Lower and a few of us in the Snakepit (mostly old Barclay Boys from the 70''s and 80s) I thought the rest of our excuse for a crowd were either old moaners or "new" support who have never experienced the passion of a packed terrace.  Pushing down the terrace when we scored, jumping up and down with your mates, banter with the opposing supporters, the comeradery and a feeling of belonging to, and having a deep joint affiliation with, OUR club are memories we still cherish today.

I went to the meeting with Neil Doncaster about three years ago about standing in the Barclay at which he said "if you organise yourselves to sit down for a full five continuous minutes each half you can stand for the other 40 mins if you are not inconvieniencing others". This was to allow for a photograph to be taken each half to show the whole stand sitting down to satisfy a clause in the safety certificate.  I asked if this was the same for the Snakepit and was told "yes".

So, on trying to enter the ground yesterday one of our lot was pulled by the Stewards (outside the ground) and told that continuing to stand when told to sit would mean  ejection from the ground by the boys in blue.  Further "offences" would could lead to a ban.  "People behind have complained" he was told.  Later, inside the ground we couldn''t find anyone who had complained.   When I went back outside to point out the result of the meeting with Doomcaster I was told by the Section Head Steward "well, that''s clearly not true".  I then offered to set up a meeting with him and Mr Doncaster but was ignored.  I too have had photo''s of us standing thrust under my nose by Stewards at half time saying "a repeat of that in the second half and you''re out".  As some of you would understand sitting down at a football match is just not normal for people like me and I hate every moment of it.  Its another part of the modern day football experience that I detest, but if NCFC is in your blood then you have to put up with it to watch your team. 

Some of our lot now go to watch non-league football so they can enjoy standing on terraces.  In some cases that''s with a beer in hand and being able to move around rather than be stuck in an uncomfortable seat.  In the old days before the fences we used to move around from the Barclay to the middle of the South Stand and then on some occassions climb the fences into the River End.  Now we have the world of CCTV, Stewards and over policing its just "sit down, shut up, don''t move" and then they''re all happy.

[/quote]Fantastic post BD ,and your right we are almost treated like robots these days ,i must admit i struggle to sing while sitting down and i refuse to join in with that t**t on the PA system at the start of games it makes me cringe.

Standing in a seated stadium isn''t quite the same as standing on a terrace but it''s better than nothing.

On a packed terrace the fans become a single organism, a sort of giant amoeba that moves and sways.  It''s an amazing experience, always uplifting, sometimes exhilarating and occasionally downright scary.  Even when it''s half empty, there''s a freedom of movement that you just don''t get with seats. 

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]It might simply be my age (Im 20) but I cannot see the attraction of standing terraces.
So many people, including posters on this forum, seem to think that they hark back to a much more exciting, passionate time of football.
However, I have no desire to be forced to stand for 2 hours, having my feet trodden on and being jostled in every direction.
Plus you''d have to be holding your bag/coat the whole time.

So what''s the big attraction??
[/quote]

"Mummy! Fetch me my Pizza, snickers and Panda pop NOW! Y''know I can''t leave my game....I''m at level 7 and only have to kill 3 more gorgs before I can go through the diamond portal to level 8....I''m hungry! Hurry! Hurry! Or I''ll kick your varicose veins!"

That''s you, that is.....[:|]

[/quote]

Your attempt at juvenile humour is admirable but misguided. I''m a 20 year old law student, not an 8 year old.
Or do you just feel a desperate need to justify your own existence by belittling others?

[quote user="Shack Attack"]
I''m not going to give you too much of a hard time because I think you have to have experienced the atmosphere of standing to understand why it was so special but why the hell do you need to take a bag to the football.
[/quote]

Buses on Saturdays are a mess, so I drive my motorccyle instead. Need a bag to stow my kit, plus I like to bring a drink to matches rather than pay inflated bar prices.
[/quote]

Sorry my friend but you really have missed out in life. I sugest ballet

I first stood on the River End terrace when I was 11, and, while it scared the hell out of me, the excitement of being part of something (PP''s single organism sums it up nicely) so vibrant and volatile was way more important. Carrow Road in those days would be unrecognisable to the younger fans, with claustrophobic crushes in the road behind the main stand at the end of matches (which was hemmed in on the far side by Boulton and Paul''s warehouse), and an open River End entered via a stepped climb up a steep slope. The whole ground seemed to vibrate when the excitement level rose and there was so much more singing and general "audience participation".

Football today is a sterile, pared down version of what we knew, even the great Euro nights don''t compare to the old times,good though they were.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Sing up the river end "][quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]It might simply be my age (Im 20) but I cannot see the attraction of standing terraces.
So many people, including posters on this forum, seem to think that they hark back to a much more exciting, passionate time of football.
However, I have no desire to be forced to stand for 2 hours, having my feet trodden on and being jostled in every direction.
Plus you''d have to be holding your bag/coat the whole time.

So what''s the big attraction??
[/quote]

ATMOSPHERE is the only answer you need to that.
[/quote]

thos who think all seater stadiums lack atmosphere clearly never saw us in the playoff season, the promotion season, certain games in the premiership or went to the playoff final.

jas :)

[/quote]

And those that have never stood at a game have missed out on games like beating Man Utd in the FA cup, Southampton FA cup 1/4 final.  I will struggle to ever go to a game where the atmospehre was better

Sid, I read your post with interest about the sitting down to comply with saftey/fire legislation. I now understand why the Snakepit have been sitting down most of this season. Suffice to say, the volume from that area has been quieter as a result. Which is a great shame, when a great percentage of Carrow Road is very quiet to silent unless we score. Okay, if that''s how you like to watch, fine, but some of us like taking part in singing, banter with the away fans and encouraging the team on the pitch. IMO the best way to do all of that is standing.

As for me, luckily I am on the back of E block, I waited 6 seasons to hear of someone giving up their seat there and was front of the queue on movers and shakers day. To say I almost burst into tears when the lady in the ticket office told me I had a back row seat makes me realise just how much I had missed the old Barclay from years before. That is why I will always renew my ticket because I don''t want to give it up and chance having to sit in the middle of the stand again where I am told off for jumping up during the match (its'' instinctive and I can''t help getting involved). I don''t want to annoy anyone or spoil others enjoyment or view, but what are you supposed to do if you are sitting in front of others?

I feel for the club in a way, I have been heard a different point of view from the board re standing, and it''s something I think they should address again. I completely agree that the enforced seating has led to a drop in volume and atmopshere, though the football (standard of) has also contributed to this.

Beau, that''s funny - I was trying to explain to my daughter only yesterday about the River End terracing, and how my dad used to leave me and my brother to "get on with it and find your own spot". This used to involve scrambling down to the front if you were too late to have a bar to lean on. Happy, happy days but even better when we were allowed to go on our own and migrated to the Barclay. Can you imagine that old slope getting past the H&S crowd now....

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Beau, that''s funny - I was trying to explain to my daughter only yesterday about the River End terracing, and how my dad used to leave me and my brother to "get on with it and find your own spot". This used to involve scrambling down to the front if you were too late to have a bar to lean on. Happy, happy days but even better when we were allowed to go on our own and migrated to the Barclay. Can you imagine that old slope getting past the H&S crowd now....[/quote]

LOL! No chance Gazza. My uncle, who first took me  always tried to get just in front of a barrier to avoid some of the crowd surge, but that was the fun bit, surfing on a tide of ecstatic humanity when we scored!

LOL its almost silent compared to the 70,s and 80''s but i suppose compared to other grounds in these sit down days we have our moments of 3 of 4 minute bursts followed by silence for double that.I guess it does not help with the terrible away support teams bring these days, but who can blame then with over inflated seat prices ,if there was standing the tickets would be cheaper encouraging more away fans to travel in turn creating more banter and better atmosphere

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]It might simply be my age (Im 20) but I cannot see the attraction of standing terraces.So many people, including posters on this forum, seem to think that they hark back to a much more exciting, passionate time of football.However, I have no desire to be forced to stand for 2 hours, having my feet trodden on and being jostled in every direction. Plus you''d have to be holding your bag/coat the whole time.So what''s the big attraction??[/quote]CW, I''m 21 and I can''t understand why you wouldn''t want to stand.I went to uni in Chester, who very conveniently often played home games on Friday nights, not sure if it was because of the racing or the liverpool/everton traffic, but that is by the by, I went almost every home game (the only ones i didnt make were when the match time clashed with Norwich - Canariesworld won out every time!) and I ALWAYS went in the terrace, it was always packed, and it was the best way to watch football by such a long way. So much better than sitting. You don''t really get your feet trodden on, and the jostling is infinitely less irritating than having to stand every10mins to let some incontinent bas***d past!! I lived relatively close to the Chester ground - about 2miles away so it was never a neccessity to take a bag, although i did often take a coat, and u just stand by a railing and drop your coat on top of it. It is a totally different experience to watch it standing, especially when a goal goes in, the celebration is a far better experience, although you do often end up hugging strangers!! Incidentally - Cardiff are allowed a terrace, any idea why? I went last season and stood on the terrace, and I''ll tell you something - watching Ched''s screamer rocket into the top corner was 10times more enjoyable because we were all on a terrace, and allowed to go absolutely mental!!

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]It might simply be my age (Im 20) but I cannot see the attraction of standing terraces.So many people, including posters on this forum, seem to think that they hark back to a much more exciting, passionate time of football.However, I have no desire to be forced to stand for 2 hours, having my feet trodden on and being jostled in every direction. Plus you''d have to be holding your bag/coat the whole time.So what''s the big attraction??[/quote]CW, I''m 21 and I can''t understand why you wouldn''t want to stand.I went to uni in Chester, who very conveniently often played home games on Friday nights, not sure if it was because of the racing or the liverpool/everton traffic, but that is by the by, I went almost every home game (the only ones i didnt make were when the match time clashed with Norwich - Canariesworld won out every time!) and I ALWAYS went in the terrace, it was always packed, and it was the best way to watch football by such a long way. So much better than sitting. You don''t really get your feet trodden on, and the jostling is infinitely less irritating than having to stand every10mins to let some incontinent bas***d past!! I lived relatively close to the Chester ground - about 2miles away so it was never a neccessity to take a bag, although i did often take a coat, and u just stand by a railing and drop your coat on top of it. It is a totally different experience to watch it standing, especially when a goal goes in, the celebration is a far better experience, although you do often end up hugging strangers!! Incidentally - Cardiff are allowed a terrace, any idea why? I went last season and stood on the terrace, and I''ll tell you something - watching Ched''s screamer rocket into the top corner was 10times more enjoyable because we were all on a terrace, and allowed to go absolutely mental!![/quote]Good man, its great ain''it when you score there is no better feeling than jumping up and down hugging your mates or who ever is the nearest,and you are right it''s a right pain having to continually get up to let people passed.

One of the positives of going down I suppose is there should be a few away terraces in league one. well i hope so, at some dumps like oldham et al. should make for some decent away days out.

Bly thsts the first post of yours thats made any sense to me. You see? There''s always a silver lining.... I hate sitting down, its not natural at football. If you want to sit, go in the sitting areas......

Bring it on... or rather bring it back!!

[quote user="IBA"]Bly thsts the first post of yours thats made any sense to me. You see? There''s always a silver lining.... I hate sitting down, its not natural at football. If you want to sit, go in the sitting areas...... Bring it on... or rather bring it back!![/quote]

I know. It tugs at the emotions rather than the intellect.

Sometimes, however, the genres happily collide - resulting in a blockbuster.

[:)]

OTBC

[quote user="hellococker"]One of the positives of going down I suppose is there should be a few away terraces in league one. well i hope so, at some dumps like oldham et al. should make for some decent away days out.
[/quote]

No terracing at Oldham my friend, actually having a look through league one as it stands at most I would say there are only 3 grounds with terracing for away supporters.

[quote user="south stand corner terrace"]

[quote user="hellococker"]One of the positives of going down I suppose is there should be a few away terraces in league one. well i hope so, at some dumps like oldham et al. should make for some decent away days out.[/quote]

No terracing at Oldham my friend, actually having a look through league one as it stands at most I would say there are only 3 grounds with terracing for away supporters.

[/quote]ha, i havent looked, i just said olham becuase its the sort of ground you''d imagine with terracing, y''know?

The hugging random fans thing does still occasionally happen. I remember at Coventry a few seasons back when McVeigh scored a last minute equaliser, I was sat at the end of a row and was grabbed by loads of total strangers. I ended about 4 rows further down and on the other side of the stairs when everything eventually died down. Good times.