Sign in to follow this  
Rustys 1st Touch

Why let Lupoli, Omosuzi and Bell go?

At the time it struck me as strange that these players were allowed leave because I felt they gave us better options from the bench and balanced the squad.   

Omosuzi wasn''t a centre back but he was a competent right back in this division and better than Otsemobor.

Lupoli was our best striker in terms of goals per game and I would have liked to see him and Cort play together as he had the pace to run in behind defences.

Bell was played out of position but he could take a set piece which is something we are crying out for now. Plus he was a contracted player.

During January, before these players had left, most of us agreed that we needed two players: a centre back and a forward. Instead we signed a raft of new players who are now playing for our reserves. Why were these players let go in the first place because I don''t think these new players are any better.

Thoughts?

Totally agree about Lupoli and Bell. Not sure about Omosuzi, thought he looked out of position at both right back and centre-half, except for one excellent performance against Ipswich. Geoff Boycott''s granny is better than Semmy at the moment, though, so you could even make a case for Snoozy staying.

Bell was a bit injury prone, but looked like the most intelligent footballer we''ve had at CR for ages. I don''t think we saw the best of him, I think it was a terrible mistake to let him go, and I have an awful feeling about Saturday...

The decision to let Lupoli go was astonishing. Obviously there were lots of rumours that he was unsettled, but surely Gunn saying to him "It''s a fresh start, I want you playing off Cort" would have been enough. Jamie could have been brought back to be on the bench.

For all Roeder''s many faults, he brought quality players to the club. Why Gunn couldn''t let Lupoli and Bell fulfil their potential is beyond me. Of, course, he may have been forced to sell them, which is a terrible indictment of the state of this club either way.

Bell clearly didn''t want to be here. Out of position or not you could tell he wasn''t interested. He had to go.

Lupoli was obviously a bit frustrated at playing second fiiddle to an inferior player and would have wanted out. And lets face it, I think we''re all glad that the money we saved from him was put towards signing Killen......

Not sure about Omosuzi though, he wasn''t ever totally convincing but he was handy to have in the squad. Leijer doesn''t look likely to figure much.

But surely Bell and Lupoli would have stayed if they had had a bit of encouragement.

My worst thoughts would be that they thought the club was badly lead from the top and there was only one way it was going. Bell''s comments upon leaving implied that!

Lupoli wanted to leave because no matter what he did or how many goals he scored the following week he was back on the bench!!

He obviously didnt get on with Roeder but Gunn should have made him the first name on the team sheet and told him he had a big part to play!

I''m not sure Lupoli wanted to leave but he wanted to play and probably asked Gunn to leave as soon as he saw McDonald sign. I can''t blame him to be honest disgraceful treatment of a player who had performed well when he got a chance. I think it was similar with Bell and the fact that he didn''t settle was because he was never played, nothing to do with living in Luton that was an excuse which suited both parties.I do think money played its part aswell and Gunn was probably under pressure to balance the wage bill in order to bring in his own players. Lets just hope these new players settle quickly because the games are running out.

Omosuzi, we couldn''t stop him from going. He''s not playing for Fulham mind so he probably would have stayed if Gunn played him