Sign in to follow this  
chicken

Lowest points scoring season yet for the championship?

I was looking at the table above the half way line - perhaps looking for inspiration I am not sure - when I realised how poor a points total there is in general this season. Now I am not sure of all the facts etc so people will have to correct me but Wolves are currently on 64 points and have 12 games remaining. Now if they win every remaining game between now and the end of the season they will get 100 points - a fairly respectable total. However who thinks that they will get that total?My bet is that the winners this year will get just under the 90 point mark, although I have never been good at guessing.According to wikipedia West Brom won the league with 81 points last season - will the winner of the league this year beat that?At our end of things you have teams from 17th to 24th in the league all possible relegation candidates. And if results go like last weekend you may be able to add a couple of teams to that. Will 50 points still be the target or will less be enough?I ask because it is not possible for all of the teams from 17th to 24th to pick up enough points to do so. You would suspect that Charlton with 26 points and 13 games / 39 points to play for - are up against it. The problem comes higher when you have 6 teams in Blackpool, Plymouth, Nottingham Forrest, Norwich City and Southampton 5 points appart from each other. Admittedly I have thrown Southampton into that mix although they are infact 7 points off Blackpool but have a game in hand on all of those teams.Add to that Watford and Barnsely who could fail to take advantage of their two games in hand and become part of the mix. I can''t imagine that only three of those teams will fail to make 50 points. It really is a tight race now and it''s all going to be about fight and spirit - our lads are going to need the support for sure.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]If your point is that less than 50 points will be enough, then I agree. I think 46 points will be enough.[/quote]

You''re optimistic! Can''t see that personally, no club has yet been cut adrift and whilst a lot of clubs will take points off each other in the scrap to survive I can see a clutch of teams at the end of the season finishing in the 48-52 point area. Anything less than 50 and we''re finished.

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[quote user="Jim Kent"]If your point is that less than 50 points will be enough, then I agree. I think 46 points will be enough.[/quote]

You''re optimistic! Can''t see that personally, no club has yet been cut adrift and whilst a lot of clubs will take points off each other in the scrap to survive I can see a clutch of teams at the end of the season finishing in the 48-52 point area. Anything less than 50 and we''re finished.

[/quote]Yellow Rider - if you look at the league table and the results that have happened recently with Reading, Wolves and Birmingham all dropping points it may yet happen. I just can''t see any team in this league putting a decent enough run together - not at the top or at the bottom - to make any major points leap.

I wish I''d seen this thread earlier, it would have been a better home for the following :If you take the current form of the last 6 matches, and apply it to the remaining games for the bottom 7, you get :Forest 54 (somewhere in mid-table)Barnsley 46Watford 46Norwich 45Southampton 42Plymouth 40Charlton 39But that''s only because Soton and Plymouth have been so poor, with 5 and 4 points from 6 matches respectively.  Forest appear to have stalled too after a decent run.  It will be tight, and we need to keep picking up the points.