Sign in to follow this  
grantroederdisaster

Yarmouth fans getting chucked out of Barclay lower tier during Mondays Norwich Reserves V's Yarmouth friendly!

I went to Mondays reserve friendly between norwich reserves and Yarmouth at Carrow Road and couldn''t believe what I saw! -

About 20 Yarmouth fans in their mid to late teens were together at the back of the Barclay lower, just generally having a laugh with their flag, standing up, singing and not bothering anyone else or being near any other fan in the stand which was virtually empty.

A steward came up and asked them to sit down which they did for a while until they stood up again and stewards again asked them to sit down. This carried on for a while until near the end of the 2nd half when a load of stewards ejected them and this led to a few scuffles while they were going out!

Now yet again this a prime example of jobsworth stewards governed by ground regulations creating a difficult situation when until their intervention their was no problem. Over half the Barclay lower tier stand up during 1st team games and they don''t all get ejected. These 20 odd, kids were not causing anyone any problems, until the stewards started getting involved. Now if common sense would of been applied then unless these kids started causing problems for others then they should of been of left alone cause afterall if they watch Yarmouth regularly then they would go to grounds where they have more standing spaces than seated areas!

And another example of why football grounds should have safe standing areas cause its about 17 years since Carrow Road went all seater and people still wish to stand!

I was totally disgusted with the stewards actions last night, cause really we should all be grateful for anyone that turns out to watch meaningless reserve friendlies!

anyone else hear about Middlsborough? They have sent out letters to some supporters to stop ''the constant banging and loud noise''. This is as some supporters have been complaining about these loud supporters. Just how ridiculous is this getting now. I mean for heavens sake soon were not going to be able to celebrate if we score!

Saw the incident you are referring to.

My view was that they were a group of yobs to be fair, with the aim of causing trouble. Why should they be able to stand while the rest of us have to sit? The situation seemed to escalate when they were asked to sit, but refused and no doubt gave the stewards a lot of abuse. Should the stewards have to put up with that? After all they are just trying to do their job, to the instruction they are given.

Rules are there for a reason.

[quote user="We Want Lappin Back"]Saw the incident you are referring to. My view was that they were a group of yobs to be fair, with the aim of causing trouble. Why should they be able to stand while the rest of us have to sit? The situation seemed to escalate when they were asked to sit, but refused and no doubt gave the stewards a lot of abuse. Should the stewards have to put up with that? After all they are just trying to do their job, to the instruction they are given. Rules are there for a reason.[/quote]

OK then lets eject over 2000 fans in the Barclay and snakepit that stand up on Saturday cause rules are rules and we have to be consistent don''t we

Were they yobs?

They just looked like a bunch of teenagers that go and watch Yarmouth and enjoy themselves, doesn''t make them yobs!

Didn''t look like they''d be a problem until the stewards got involved!

Bring back standing areas - everyone with any sense can see that it would solve a lot of this problems occurring and lots of people wish to stand at games. So why not have sections of grounds like the Barclay lower tier made into safe standing areas so that those who wish to stand can do so and the ones who wish to sit can move elsewhere thus ending the conflict!

Standing areas can work if they are on the bottom tier of stands, the capacity of a reverted standing area is not larger than it was when it was standing and every standing fan has their own numbered crush barrier that would ensure no surges! 

[quote user="We Want Lappin Back"]Saw the incident you are referring to. My view was that they were a group of yobs to be fair, with the aim of causing trouble. Why should they be able to stand while the rest of us have to sit? The situation seemed to escalate when they were asked to sit, but refused and no doubt gave the stewards a lot of abuse. Should the stewards have to put up with that? After all they are just trying to do their job, to the instruction they are given. Rules are there for a reason.[/quote]

Oh come on for goodness sake we are talking about "Local football" here where teams play on recs and parks.  Why should people sit down, if they want to sit then fantastic that they get the chance, but if these guys were not in anyones way and wanted to stand then let them stand.

Don''t you or the Club hide behind the law because it does not apply here.  This was a friendly played under local football regulations and you could stand apart from the fact that some jobsworth wanted to play power games.

This was someone being pathetic !!

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"] Maybe someone threatened to "give them a Corporal Jones" [:O][/quote]Silly boy.[/quote]See? Can''t even get that right Bly! Should be "stupid boy" stupid boy! [^o)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"] Maybe someone threatened to "give them a Corporal Jones" [:O][/quote]Silly boy.[/quote]See? Can''t even get that right Bly! Should be "stupid boy" stupid boy! [^o)][/quote]

''Ooooooooooooooo....................., I say!!!!''

Lappy and nutty getting all cuddly.

And why are you out of bed at this time of night Lappy. I mean 2.38 in the morning! Dear me.

Do hope you''re not being a silly boy, now.

One day I''ll tell you the fable about Big Boy at the back of the class.

OTBC

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=News&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=News&itemid=NOED25%20Feb%202009%2007%3A33%3A11%3A307

Why we even bother with these useless jobsworth stewards at reserve games I''ll never know.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

OK then lets eject over 2000 fans in the Barclay and snakepit that stand up on Saturday cause rules are rules and we have to be consistent don''t we

Were they yobs?

They just looked like a bunch of teenagers that go and watch Yarmouth and enjoy themselves, doesn''t make them yobs!

Didn''t look like they''d be a problem until the stewards got involved!

Bring back standing areas - everyone with any sense can see that it would solve a lot of this problems occurring and lots of people wish to stand at games. So why not have sections of grounds like the Barclay lower tier made into safe standing areas so that those who wish to stand can do so and the ones who wish to sit can move elsewhere thus ending the conflict!

Standing areas can work if they are on the bottom tier of stands, the capacity of a reverted standing area is not larger than it was when it was standing and every standing fan has their own numbered crush barrier that would ensure no surges! 

[/quote]

Er.............they''re Yarco''s!!! Chuck em all out!!

[quote user="Surrey yellow"]Why we even bother with these useless jobsworth stewards at reserve games I''ll never know.[/quote]

Because the rules of the FL require all professional clubs to have stewards at all stadium matches unless they are played behind closed doors with no admittance to the public.

Her Majesty''s Elf and Safety division also require clubs that are all seater to stop fans from standing (theoretically) and there is a clause which threatens them with prosecution if they do not.  As far as I know they have not prosecuted anyone so far but the clause is there if a Jobsworth feels like brightening up his day.

As far as I''m concerned moaning about the Stewards is like barking up the wrong tree.  The Stewards are only following instructions given to them by the club.Even though I wasn''t a witness to the incident,  I read it, the idiots were ejected for foul and abusive language they dished out to the stewards, after being told to sit. 

[quote user="Iwanlegend"]

''Yarco'' as in ''from Yarmouth''.

Must have been my dodgy upbringing!

[/quote]LOL I know, I was pulling your leg over your rogue apostrophe [:D]

I was also very close to where this was happening in The Barclay and in my opinion, at a reserve game, you can''t really be using foul language (which they were in their chanting) with so many young children about. Fair enough in The Barclay on a Saturday but a reserve game is aimed specifically at the younger generation (Soccer PM etc) and you shouldn''t really be chanting or saying things that are inapropriate to young children.

right i was 1 of the yarmouth lads who was ejected at the game and the people who was near would of sin the heavy handedness of the stewards this is the only point when we got abusive and a few scufles took place we all are sorry about the language we used if the kids heard but were not sorry for are actions towards the stewards

and just to put it to rest we arnt "chavs" we dont wear trackies" we just lads who dress up smart for football so if thats now called a chav i must be mistaken

right lets get this straight,

i was one of the lads who got kicked out.

first things first we aint chavs and we dnt normally cause this much crap, but we stand at EVERY game we have been to and never been told otherwise

we used the language to much i admit, but we didnt intend to let the younger children hear all this

the stewards was the people with the problem, we was right at the back, no one was behind us so why couldnt we stand?

but they push 2 12 year olds over 2 rows of seats...is that acceptable???

then someone who tries to calm us down who normally comes with us, they push him out the way, this is why we jumped in and done what we done, we never hurt no one, so if we are guitly for what we did then so are they, but they thought there kids we can push them around but not the thousands that stand up in normal matches,

and im quiet annoyed that everyone judges us who either wasnt there, dnt no us or just listen to this crap in the papers,

First of all not everyone who lives in Great Yarmouth is A chav or Yarco or what ever else you would like to refer to us by.

Secondly it may not be well liked but standing in seated areas is a ground regulation, period. If a steward asks you to sit down repeatedly and you persist in standing then he is quite within his right and the duties of his job to eject you from the stadium.

Thirdly I attended the recent Norwich Legends Game at the Wellesley, I am going to assume that many of the ejected fans, if not all of them, were seated in the grandstand that night. My main thoughts were of how good it was to see the younger generation getting involved in local football as opposed to strutting round town on a Saturday afternoon in a Chelsea/Manchester United shirt despite never having seen ''their team'' play. I was really suprised and impressed with the support for Great Yarmouth Town - Long may it continue.

Fourth (and finally) The education system in Great Yarmouth didn''t fail us all, some of us can spell and use correct punctuation and grammar. Stick out tongue [:P]

I am preparing for the punctuation police to find a misused comma

Tin hat on

[quote user="Surrey yellow"]Why we even bother with these useless jobsworth stewards at reserve games I''ll never know.[/quote]

Surrey . . . we''re there for EVERYONES safety whether its a 1st team game or a reserve game . . . if we''re NOT there then the game gets played behind closed doors.

I''m a steward . . . PLEASE DON''T tarnish us ALL with being useless jobsworth!

[quote user="Blooberry"]

Surrey . . . we''re there for EVERYONES safety whether its a 1st team game or a reserve game . . . if we''re NOT there then the game gets played behind closed doors.

I''m a steward . . . PLEASE DON''T tarnish us ALL with being useless jobsworth!

[/quote]

you may not be but the are lots who are..... standing is a topic which will never be resolved.  

Standing at games is an issue that hasn''t gone away like the authorities thought it would. Even now 17 years since the terraces went at Carrow Road many fans in the Barclay prefer to stand even youngsters not born when Carrow Road had standing areas!

Mondays nights incident was very embarrassing cause nothing would of happened if the stewards would of just ignored the Yarmouth youngsters who wern''t causing any problems to anyone!

The standing issue will only be resolved if the authorities back down and admit that standing areas aren''t dangerous and many fans would prefer to stand.

If standing was that dangerous why is it allowed in the lower leagues, non league, other Countries notably Germany, other sports and spectator events?

The Hillsborough disaster of 1989 that prompted the Taylor report was not caused by terracing!

Modern day ground control measures and stadiums are much improved from the dark days of 20+ years ago and could easily adapt to a return to safe standing areas!

Safe standing areas would on bottom tiers only, every fan would have their own numbered crush barrier which would prevent surges and an area converted from seats to safe standing would not have its capacity increased. For instance the Barclay lower tier currently hold about 3100 seats - converted to safe standing the capacity would still be 3100 - no problem!

Having some areas of safe standing would also see football getting more in touch with the masses of whom in recent years have become detached from the money cow, corporate nature of higher level football!

[quote user=""]

Don''t you or the Club hide behind the law because it does not apply here.  This was a friendly played under local football regulations and you could stand apart from the fact that some jobsworth wanted to play power games.

This was someone being pathetic !!

[/quote]

Actually its a local authority enforcement. The club has to be seen to be doing everything ''reasonable'' to enforce it.

at the end of the day if u think its acceptable for stewards to throw 2 12 year olds over 2 rows of seats then fine, ur head needs screwing on

we went to that much to support our team, and we get all this crap for standing up but also because their behaviour was unacceptable.