Sign in to follow this  
In Dubious Battle

Nigel Worthington

Sacking Nigel Worthington was the biggest mistake the current board have made we would have been far closer to a return to the promised land if he was still in charge! Thats what i think anyway does anyone agree? or am i talking s**t?

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]Sacking Nigel Worthington was the biggest mistake the current board have made we would have been far closer to a return to the promised land if he was still in charge! Thats what i think anyway does anyone agree? or am i talking s**t?
[/quote]

you said it

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]Sacking Nigel Worthington was the biggest mistake the current board have made we would have been far closer to a return to the promised land if he was still in charge! Thats what i think anyway does anyone agree? or am i talking s**t?
[/quote]

Yes you are talking brown stuff. Not giving Worthington his P45 in October 2005 was one of a series of disastrous decisions made by the NCFC Board.

[/quote]

Worthy did well to get us promoted. However, like all managers, he reached his sell-by date. That''s life.

Worthy''s time had come and gone when he failed to achieve automatic promotion after our little holiday in the Prem.Hanging on too long was the board''s biggest mistake to date. Every manager has a shelf life. It''s how long they outstay (or are allowed to outstay) their welcome which defines how they are remembered.If Worthy had jumped ship after the 6-0 at Fulham he''d likely be seen as some sort of Saint round these parts.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

[/quote]

Yes you are talking brown stuff. Not giving Worthington his P45 in October 2005 was one of a series of disastrous decisions made by the NCFC Board.

[/quote]

Precisely!

I was a big Worthy fan and so should any sane Norwich of been but he started making mistakes as soon as we were promoted, lost the dressing room in the end and should of gone a year before he did!

That said he was better than Grant and Roedernowhere put together X 1000!

Our current predicament is a culmulation of inept decision making by the board since not spending just £2M on Peter Crouch in the summer of 2004, a move that would of probably kept us up and made us a big proft as well. The subsequent overstay of Worthy and the Grant and Roeder disasters have further worsened our standing!

[/quote]

''fraid you are. Sgt.Worthy was to us what Bothroyd was to Watford. He marched us up to the top of the hill, and he marched us down again.

The entire club has been in decline ever since we got promoted - that''s four years - and more frighteningly, it looks like it could go on for another four too.The Worthy debate bugs me, because whilst I agree that it was time for a change (nobody who was at the Burnley game could disagree - I sat watching that game in utter horror) - when you watch the DVD''s of those "poor" seasons after our relegation - they really weren''t that bad... more inconsistant than anything else. We sacked him and things got a lot worse very quickly and suddenly lacklustre mid-table Norwich turned into relegation dog-fight Norwich.People still attribute that to Worthy and say that he would have taken us down if we''d have kept in charge but I''m not so sure. We were in no real danger of relegation with him in charge - not in the way we are now and there was nobody more qualified than him to turn it around.The real issue and one that''s still affecting us now is that some time ago we stopped spending any money. If the board had stumped up the cash when Worthy wanted it for Peter Crouch or Dean Ashton before our Prem season kicked off I have no doubt at all we''d have stayed up and suddenly the entire history of the club would be re-written.Like him or not, Worthy would have done a better job than Peter Grant and Glenn Roeder - and if he''d have done a better job than those two then we''d be sitting further away from the relegation zone now - but it doesn''t matter who we have in charge, if the board don''t spend any money then those only one direction we''re headed.

Worthy lost it as soon as we got promoted. He let Iwan & Malky go wothout getting a replacement. There was talk of Ashton ages before we eventually got him. We should ahve bought him the summer before, Malky & Roberts as super-subs and got in a few defenders. Then, that 3-2 loss against Man City may have ended up being a 2-0 win. There would have been no drunken Delia and we would have stayed up!

[quote user="Beds Canary"]The entire club has been in decline ever since we got promoted - that''s four years - and more frighteningly, it looks like it could go on for another four too.

The Worthy debate bugs me, because whilst I agree that it was time for a change (nobody who was at the Burnley game could disagree - I sat watching that game in utter horror) - when you watch the DVD''s of those "poor" seasons after our relegation - they really weren''t that bad... more inconsistant than anything else. We sacked him and things got a lot worse very quickly and suddenly lacklustre mid-table Norwich turned into relegation dog-fight Norwich.

People still attribute that to Worthy and say that he would have taken us down if we''d have kept in charge but I''m not so sure. We were in no real danger of relegation with him in charge - not in the way we are now and there was nobody more qualified than him to turn it around.

The real issue and one that''s still affecting us now is that some time ago we stopped spending any money. If the board had stumped up the cash when Worthy wanted it for Peter Crouch or Dean Ashton before our Prem season kicked off I have no doubt at all we''d have stayed up and suddenly the entire history of the club would be re-written.

Like him or not, Worthy would have done a better job than Peter Grant and Glenn Roeder - and if he''d have done a better job than those two then we''d be sitting further away from the relegation zone now - but it doesn''t matter who we have in charge, if the board don''t spend any money then those only one direction we''re headed.
[/quote]

I think you have got it pretty much spot on BC, no football club can continuously sell it''s best players and replace them with cheap crap as we have done for several years now without ending up in the situation we now find ourselves in. Cureton for Earnie is a classsic example, Earnie would have buried some of the chances that Cureton has missed in the last 18 months and we would most likely have been nearer to mid table with Earnie still in the team but you get what you pay for. It is and always has been the board at fault and even if we manage to survive this year we will go down next year if they remain in charge. Money is sadly the name of the game nowadays.

dont agree... Worthingtons time had come and he was devoid of idears.. we went 1 month without a win when he was sacked.... he was found out for how tactically naive he was in the premiership too.. a nice guy but unfortuantely lost the plot.. the players gave up on him infront off the TV cameras against burnley too... the board should of got rid 12 months earlier when it became clear he was running out of idears and hadn''t really replaced the key players....

jas :)