Sign in to follow this  
eastendyellow59

Lee Croft and thoughts from Saturday

Hi all,

Been reading this forum for years now but finally thought I would bite the bullet and put some of my own thoughts down.

Saturday was obviously ultimately a very disappoiting day. We let Bristol walk through our defence for the first and then a mistake from marshall gave them their second. We were very unlucky to lose the Doc before half time which then left us chasing the game. These things happen but it always seems to be when you need them least. A dodgy penalty decision and your captain sent off in the first half when your team are desperately trying to establish some momentum and need a win at home is the last thing you need. But it works both ways - beating Reading away with the ball bouncing off the ref for our winner when we are pushing for the title - it just seems the way things go. I think gunny will bounce back from this although Preston then Burnley are two tough games.

The orignial point of this post however was to say how good I though Lee Croft was on Saturday and has been this season. He looked the most dangerous player on the pitch by a mile. He ran his heart out until he was subbed and ran the Bristol defence ragged on his own. He chased back as well - chasing their players up and down the line. You could see how knackered he was just before he was taken off - he just couldnt run any more. The real difference between Croft and the other players in our team is just how direct he is. When he gets the ball he runs straight towards goal. He doesnt look behind him for passes but runs straight at the defence and they panic. He is oozing confidence but cant do it all on his own. He probably isnt the most technically gifted or naturally talented player there is (Hoolohan has more natural talent I think) but his work rate is just a cut above the rest. I really hope we can hold onto him.

Hi eastendyellow. Welcome to the board. I did the same, browse for years and then bit the bullet!

Regarding Crofty, I was unable to go to the game because I''m a student at Derby Uni but managed to listen to the game. Yet again it sounded like he was our main threat and it has been the case most of the season, especially the games I have been able to get to. I just hope we can tie him down to a new contract. Gunn has mentioned on the bbc site that he is confident of keeping him.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for a good first post. I agree  that Crofty was excellent on Saturday, and feel that only he, Cort and, to a lesser extent, Clingan, came out with any real credit. Its not looking good if we continue to (under)perform like that.

[quote user="Yella N Green Blood"]

Hi eastendyellow. Welcome to the board. I did the same, browse for years and then bit the bullet!

Regarding Crofty, I was unable to go to the game because I''m a student at Derby Uni but managed to listen to the game. Yet again it sounded like he was our main threat and it has been the case most of the season, especially the games I have been able to get to. I just hope we can tie him down to a new contract. Gunn has mentioned on the bbc site that he is confident of keeping him.

[/quote]Hi YNGB - Completely unrelated to the topic and I apologise to everyone else for this, but is Derby any good? I have accepted my unconditional offer for September but have heard very mixed things about it.... Also Princess Alice or Peter Hilton halls? any help would be great, feel free to email me at tomblazak@hotmail.co.uk to avoid more disruption of this topic, apologies to everyone else!!In keeping with the topic, I also read what Gunn said but the quotes just appeared to say they were in talks - if anything he sounded far from confident!!

[quote user="eastendyellow59"]

Hi all,

Been reading this forum for years now but finally thought I would bite the bullet and put some of my own thoughts down.

Saturday was obviously ultimately a very disappoiting day. We let Bristol walk through our defence for the first and then a mistake from marshall gave them their second. We were very unlucky to lose the Doc before half time which then left us chasing the game. These things happen but it always seems to be when you need them least. A dodgy penalty decision and your captain sent off in the first half when your team are desperately trying to establish some momentum and need a win at home is the last thing you need. But it works both ways - beating Reading away with the ball bouncing off the ref for our winner when we are pushing for the title - it just seems the way things go. I think gunny will bounce back from this although Preston then Burnley are two tough games.

The orignial point of this post however was to say how good I though Lee Croft was on Saturday and has been this season. He looked the most dangerous player on the pitch by a mile. He ran his heart out until he was subbed and ran the Bristol defence ragged on his own. He chased back as well - chasing their players up and down the line. You could see how knackered he was just before he was taken off - he just couldnt run any more. The real difference between Croft and the other players in our team is just how direct he is. When he gets the ball he runs straight towards goal. He doesnt look behind him for passes but runs straight at the defence and they panic. He is oozing confidence but cant do it all on his own. He probably isnt the most technically gifted or naturally talented player there is (Hoolohan has more natural talent I think) but his work rate is just a cut above the rest. I really hope we can hold onto him.

[/quote]

Welcome to the board Lee.

Hi eastendyellow....from one new boy to another welcome aboard...A word of advice....Dont get into any heated discussions with wiz....he is mighty powerful,and is to be feared..However Jas the Barclay King is a different proposition...He knows his stuff..IMO..

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Yella N Green Blood"]

[/quote]

Hi YNGB - Completely unrelated to the topic and I apologise to everyone else for this, but is Derby any good? I have accepted my unconditional offer for September but have heard very mixed things about it.... Also Princess Alice or Peter Hilton halls? any help would be great, feel free to email me at tomblazak@hotmail.co.uk to avoid more disruption of this topic, apologies to everyone else!!

In keeping with the topic, I also read what Gunn said but the quotes just appeared to say they were in talks - if anything he sounded far from confident!!
[/quote]

He was interviewed on Canary Call and sounded very confident!

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="eastendyellow59"]

Hi all,

[/quote]

Welcome to the board Lee.

[/quote]

It''s always the same, new boy to the forum and some gnarled old hack comes in with a sideswipe[:P][;)]

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]Ah ok, I didn''t hear that, I really hope Crofty does sign up, as we could do without having to replace him at the end of the season!!

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Ah ok, I didn''t hear that, I really hope Crofty does sign up, as we could do without having to replace him at the end of the season!!
[/quote]

I couldn''t agree more. Gunny sounded very upbeat about the talks in the interview, and I''ve also heard from another source that things are going well.