Sign in to follow this  
mickey phelans tash

how long......

[quote user="mickey phelans tash"]

......have loans been a part of our transfer system? Just wondered where it all began.Also who the hell was Norwich''s first ever loan signing ?

[/quote]I think it may have been Bobby Bell, signed from Palace during the latter half of the 1972 promotion season after Duncan Forbes was injured.

Not sure of the first, although may be Bell as mentioned above.  Kevin Reeves started as a loan signing, but I think there was very rarely more than one, if any, in a whole season up to the late 90''s.

Think the frenzy began with Bryan Hamilton and his ''gang of six'' or whatever they were called...

I''ve just checked, and it was Bobby Bell although he only played three games. Apparently Millwall were annoyed that their neighbours Palace had lent a player to one of their promotion rivals!I do remember in the late 70s there were a number of players (John Ryan was one) who left Norwich to join American clubs but were then lent back to City during the American close season.

[quote user="mickey phelans tash"]

......have loans been a part of our transfer system? Just wondered where it all began.Also who the hell was Norwich''s first ever loan signing ?

[/quote]Remember Bell - nothing sensational (but then neither was Dunc) - they both did the job and we''d have been in trouble without Bell stepping in.My gut feel is that the loan system has developed from the bigger squads with good players that stand no chance of getting first team football. In the past, the big clubs have even been accused of buying players they don''t need to prevent rivals getting them on their books. Championship clubs cannot afford to take them on permanently - even if they would come. Blame the Sky money again for distorting the market. Another consequence is that good players in their twilight years (think Mick Channon, Martin Peters etc etc) have no interest in stepping down sa division for a season or two. Sad.Solution? Invoke a "stamp duty levy" on clubs (like they do on house sales) on all transfer fees AND salaries. Then distribute the pot amongst the lower divisions.

[quote user="JimRoyle"]I do remember in the late 70s there were a number of players (John Ryan was one) who left Norwich to join American clubs but were then lent back to City during the American close season.[/quote]Ssssh, you''ll give people ideas....... [;)]Our loan policy seems to have taken off since the effects of the transfer windows have become clear to us.  Whereas before we didn''t have to worry about when we bought new players (ie, our promotion season) we then had our season in the Prem after which we found ourselves in a completely changed league - Coca Cola Championship, with full transfer window regulations in effect.  This came as a bit of a culture shock to our club, I think.  In the Prem the window obviously hindered us and it seemed that the board hadn''t even realised its rules when they chose not to buy a striker in the summer of that year - what, the window''s shut and we have to wait until January? What window? Oh, I thought someone was just cold.....Now we are where we are and it seems that the board assume that the loan system is there to be used instead of the transfer windows, a period they obviously dislike.....

The loan system used to be in place to help smaller clubs who lost players, usually by injury, and needed short term help to overcome the problem. Now it is used and abused by the Premiership clubs to give their fringe players experience of first team football, quite often in the Premiership with lower clubs, so as to either improve the player or to increase his value when they sell him (look at Bentley). Ban all loans, restrict the number of over 21 year old players that a club can have registered and a level playing field will begin to re-appear.