Sign in to follow this  
Irish Canary

Congrats to Spillane

Michael Spillane got an award last night for best Irish U19 player of the season. Surprised no one else stuck this on the messageboard. Hope to see him in action for the Irish U21 side tomorrow night vs Germany.

[quote user="Irish Canary"]Michael Spillane got an award last night for best Irish U19 player of the season. Surprised no one else stuck this on the messageboard. Hope to see him in action for the Irish U21 side tomorrow night vs Germany.
[/quote]

Agreed.

Why not name them all:

Republic of Ireland Under-21 squad v Germany (10/02/09)
Shane Redmond - Nottingham Forest (on loan at Eastwood Town)
Stephen Henderson - Bristol City
Michael Spillane - Norwich City (on loan at Luton Town)
Eddie Nolan - Preston North End
Shane Lowry - Aston Villa
Brendan Moloney - Nottingham Forest
Christy Fagan - Unattached
Barry Maguire - FC Utrecht
John Joe O’Toole - Watford
Stephen Gleeson - Wolverhampton Wanderers
James McCarthy - Hamilton Academical
Owen Garvan - Ipswich Town
Michael Liddle - Sunderland (on loan at Carlisle United)
Alan Judge - Blackburn Rovers
David Meyler - Sunderland
Graham Carey - Celtic
Cillian Sheridan - Celtic
Sean Scannell - Crystal Palace

Oh dear there''s an Ipswich player in the squad.

What the hell! 

Come on Ireland.

[:D]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="Irish Canary"]Michael Spillane got an award last night for best Irish U19 player of the season. Surprised no one else stuck this on the messageboard. Hope to see him in action for the Irish U21 side tomorrow night vs Germany.
[/quote]

Agreed.

Why not name them all:

Graham Carey - Celtic

What the hell! 

Come on Ireland.

[/quote]

Because Spillane is a Norwich player, this is the NCFC section of the pinkun Forum and I''m getting miffed off with you desecrating it.

[quote user="Delia S. Tickers"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

Agreed.

Why not name them all:

Graham Carey - Celtic

What the hell! 

Come on Ireland.

[/quote]

Because Spillane is a Norwich player, this is the NCFC section of the pinkun Forum and I''m getting miffed off with you desecrating it.

[/quote]

Thanks Camul.  Anyone who can miff off DST is OK in my book . . . [:P]

"Christy Fagan, unattached".  Where does he play, and is he any good?

[quote user="Potless Percy "][quote user="Delia S. Tickers"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

Agreed.

Why not name them all:

Graham Carey - Celtic

What the hell! 

Come on Ireland.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks Camul.  Anyone who can miff off DST is OK in my book . . . [:P]

"Christy Fagan, unattached".  Where does he play, and is he any good?

[/quote]

Fagan was a Manchester United trainee but they released him.  He has been at the Hoddle Academy in Spain and doing very well, apparently.  Attacking midfielder I think.  Irish Times said several Spanish clubs are tracking him.

Sorry, "new fame" - this is the Irish U19s we are talking about right, not Brazil? Unless I am mistaken, Ireland does not even have a pro football league, so it''s not exactly the yardstick of footballing achievement.

Good luck to Spilla though.

[quote user="Irish Canary"]Look at how many players this "amateur league" have sent to England to make a name for themselves.
[/quote]

Well said Irish! Good original post too, despite the negative posts of some people! Hope Spillane is still a Norwich player in the future!

[quote user="Irish Canary"]Look at how many players this "amateur league" have sent to England to make a name for themselves.
[/quote]

You means Reading''s lot plus Roy Keane?

It''s hardly a conveyor belt.

[quote user="Lol Morgan"]

[/quote]

You means Reading''s lot plus Roy Keane?

It''s hardly a conveyor belt.

[/quote]

And how are Reading doing compared to us?? A hell of a lot better! England are hardly producing the best talent in the world at the moment either LOL Morgan!

We will be at the next world cup pal; Ireland will not.

Don''t get me wrong, you punch above your weight for one of Europe''s smallest countries. But you only ever had success when you were able to play second-rate English players, and now the grandparents are dying out you ain''t going to any tournaments anymore. Just my opinion, of course.

Have to say that''s a pretty idiotic post. Do some research before you ramble on with a lot of rubbish.Well done to Mick last night who had a solid match for Ireland and played a full 90 minutes of football. Scored the equalizer and game finished 1-1

[quote user="Irish Canary"]How long ago did they play in an Irish team? Do some more research!
[/quote]

Probably when Ireland were sniffing around the top ten of the FIFA world rankings.....

Don''t get me wrong, you punch above your weight for one of Europe''s smallest countries. But you only ever had success when you were able to play second-rate English players, and now the grandparents are dying out you ain''t going to any tournaments anymore. Just my opinion, of course.

[/quote]I don''t think england fans are in any position to run down another national team considering their track record!

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="Lol Morgan"]

[/quote]

I don''t think england fans are in any position to run down another national team considering their track record!
[/quote]

Not "running down" my friend, just stating the obvious.

[quote user="Lol Morgan"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="Lol Morgan"]

[/quote]I don''t think england fans are in any position to run down another national team considering their track record![/quote]

[/quote]Fair enough, it''s just the way some england fans go on you''d think they''d won the last six world cups!

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="Lol Morgan"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="Lol Morgan"]

[/quote]

I don''t think england fans are in any position to run down another national team considering their track record!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Fair enough, it''s just the way some england fans go on you''d think they''d won the last six world cups!
[/quote]

I thought we had?

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="Lol Morgan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well said, for the so called home of football and with all the proffesional leagues there and all your money, your hardly achieving world glory!! & as for the fact you think Ireland will never qualify for any other tournaments, look at the current situation, We are currently second in our group, with the potential to be first after tonight! (hopefully we wont mess that up! [:)]) So as you say for a country with an amateur league and such a small population and country, we are not doing too bad! IMO

& people over here would be the first to slag off the shambles that is the FAI, anyway the original post was about spillane a Norwich player doing well, it should not be about trying to slate other nations! I wonder how you feel about Hoolahan and other Irish players who play and have played for Norwich!!!

Well, I like Clingan, not so much that weakling Hoolaflop. But then Sammy is British rather than Irish I suppose.

Townsend was great, but he was English.

[/quote]

You really are an ignorant idiot Morgan, and clearly have no clue!!

[quote user="Irish canary"]

You really are an ignorant idiot Morgan[/quote]

He''s winding you up an absolute treat though [;)]

Don''t get so upset, they''re just lines on a map [:D]

Leaving aside international matters (in which Ireland, because of the catchment area, is unlikely ever to equal the UK as has been pointed out) it has however produced some fine players for the English leagues over the decades and no doubt will continue to do so.

It also produces the very fine sport of Gaelic football which, at it''s best, makes soccer look positively lethargic.[;)]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

Leaving aside international matters (in which Ireland, because of the catchment area, is unlikely ever to equal the UK as has been pointed out) it has however produced some fine players for the English leagues over the decades and no doubt will continue to do so.

It also produces the very fine sport of Gaelic football which, at it''s best, makes soccer look positively lethargic.[;)]

[/quote]

Which is so good that it''s up there with "Aussie Rules" as a worldwide sport....