Sign in to follow this  
ForeverYellow

spillanes scoredd !!!!!!

Always thought he could be a good prospect for us. Hopefully gunny can see this and offer him a contract before the end of the season before any other championship club can snap him up!

One question: 

If he''s out of contract for the season, and on a season-long loan? Then why did Luton make an offer to us for him? There were plenty of stories a couple of weeks ago about Luton making separate offers for both Martin and Spillane, which we turned down  Why would they do so if we don''t control him beyond the summer? 

He''s doing enough to warrant another look.  There can''t be any harm in taking a chance on him again.

For the record Germany went 1-0 up in the 22nd minute, Spillane equalised four minutes later.  Game ended 1-1, good result for Ireland as the German side are rated.  I am sure he will be pleased and it does him no harm. 

On the Hatters forum, someone has suggested that Luton Town will now be docked a further 30 points by the FA for allowing an on loan player to score a goal in an international.[;)]

It''s cheered me up anyway.  Turgid game at Colchester tonight which we lost 1-0 although the mighty Imps clawed back an early goal 18 mins at Morecambe with seven minutes to go. Although quite what our full back Paul Green was doing up there to score his one and only goal of the season so far is not yet quite clear although I''m glad he did.  It was from outside the area so perhaps he treated it as a clearance? [+o(]

[quote user="newyorkcanary"]

One question: 

If he''s out of contract for the season, and on a season-long loan? Then why did Luton make an offer to us for him? There were plenty of stories a couple of weeks ago about Luton making separate offers for both Martin and Spillane, which we turned down  Why would they do so if we don''t control him beyond the summer? 

[/quote]

Martin was sent to Luton on a season long loan with no recall clause.  Spillane had a recall clause in the January window which your previous manager, prior to his departure, waived just before he was sacked leaving Gunny with no option to recall him even if he wished to.

I do believe that Spillane is on Gunn''s radar but once the "waive recall" documents had been sent before his appointment the ground was cut from under his feet.  One of the many probs of changing managers halfway through the season and during a transfer window............ 

The are two other factors to note here:1) If Spillane is out of contract come the summer he is still sort of controllable by Norwich due to the fact that he would be too young for a straight forward Bosman transfer. If I remember correctly players under 24 are not elligeable for Bosman FREE transfers and instead the clubs can go to a tribunal to agree a fee. Now this does not always happen as some clubs choose to release their players or that the clubs can settle on a fee outside of the tribunal which is then presented to and normally accepted by the FA.2) However if he is out of contract come the summer then he is also able to talk to other clubs. I think that ruling is that 6 months prior to the end of a contract a player is allowed to speak to other interested parties. So he would be able to talk to other teams.That may or may not have ramifications on the final outcome but it would at least confirm why Luton put in bids whilst they can and before it goes to tribunal who may decide that the players value is more than they can afford.The second point mentioned brings up a lot of issues with our current squad and just goes to show how focused they are. Any of the players out of contract in the summer could be or have the option to be in talks with other clubs - at the very least their agents may well be. The fact Croft is sitting down and talking contracts with Norwich shows their commitment.

[quote user="chicken"]The are two other factors to note here:

1) If Spillane is out of contract come the summer he is still sort of controllable by Norwich due to the fact that he would be too young for a straight forward Bosman transfer. If I remember correctly players under 24 are not elligeable for Bosman FREE transfers and instead the clubs can go to a tribunal to agree a fee. Now this does not always happen as some clubs choose to release their players or that the clubs can settle on a fee outside of the tribunal which is then presented to and normally accepted by the FA.
2) However if he is out of contract come the summer then he is also able to talk to other clubs. I think that ruling is that 6 months prior to the end of a contract a player is allowed to speak to other interested parties. So he would be able to talk to other teams.

That may or may not have ramifications on the final outcome but it would at least confirm why Luton put in bids whilst they can and before it goes to tribunal who may decide that the players value is more than they can afford.

The second point mentioned brings up a lot of issues with our current squad and just goes to show how focused they are. Any of the players out of contract in the summer could be or have the option to be in talks with other clubs - at the very least their agents may well be. The fact Croft is sitting down and talking contracts with Norwich shows their commitment.
[/quote]

I suspect, but do not know, that Gunny will go in for a contract offer before the end of this season for at least Spillane.  I don''t see either Martin or Spillane seeing their future career in the Blue Square Premiership which is where Luton are heading at the moment.

he was at my school the other day re-visiting as he used to go to the school. i wasnt able to see him due to my pe teacher not telling me he was coming in. but from what ive heard gunny has spoken to both spillane and martin personaly and has told them both that they are wanted at the club next season.

[quote user="ForeverYellow"]he was at my school the other day re-visiting as he used to go to the school. i wasnt able to see him due to my pe teacher not telling me he was coming in. but from what ive heard gunny has spoken to both spillane and martin personaly and has told them both that they are wanted at the club next season.[/quote]If that is the case then good - they are both still young. I don''t think loaning them out is such a bad thing but they also need to be treated with respect and be nurtured.Roeder I believe once refered to them as "tweedle dum and tweedle de" something that is not acceptable. I think modern football is moving in the Martin O''Neill direction. There is no one person bigger than the club - not even the manager. Perhaps that is one of the qualities Gunn has. He hasn''t come into this job seeing it as a stepping stone to greater things, he sees it as a dream job. He isn''t doing anyone a favour and he knows that although he is a legend he is still not bigger than the club.

[quote user="newyorkcanary"]

One question: 

[/quote]because players moving (signing contracts in january) must command a fee until they are 24that said, he could sign for them as a free agent in the summer.