Sign in to follow this  
hook norton canary

£25 million

....was that what was qouted how much a team recieves for winning promotion??

£250,000 - Simon Charlton from Bolton
Loan(free) - David Bently from Arsenal
Free - Paul Gallagher from (Dundee)?????
£500,000 - Yousef Safri from Coventry

thats a total of £750,000 spent,
£24 million 250,000 left.

now i realise not to spend it all but come on!!! were not trying to sign Didier Drogba but we need more faces!!!!!

Not strictly true. Not true at all in fact, nowhere near the 20-25million we got on winning promotion will go towards team strengthening. I''d say Worthy would be given £2.5-3M max to spend on players.

could not agree more. but then the same suspects will say trust nw.how can we defend that.hes not done that bad to date.

if u consider that the club is still about £15 million in debut when u take into acount of the new stand i would mutch rather have a sound finacial base than blow the lot and turn into the next sheff wed or leeds

Wrong HNC!

It isn''t £750,000 spent its probably more like £2,750,000 spent. That''s because on average the players we have already signed are probably on something like £10,000 a week wages.

And since it appears that you''ve been asleep all summer we''re also spending £650,000 on the new pitch and 2.5-3 million on the corner infill.

And please don''t panic. The start of the season is still four weeks away - still plenty of time to sign new players.

Yes that''s right. If your gross salary is £25,000 per year and you spend £750 on a holiday, that means you still have £24,250 to blow on a new car, computer, hi-fi etc.

At least, if you conveniently forget about boring things like tax, bills, mortgage blah blah blah.

I guess it just depends on how ambitious you are.

Ama

OK. £25M from Sky, £6M for the land deal £2.5M season tickets not withstanding sell out crowds all season, merchandising.. the new shirt.. the restaurant, savings on interest payments on the loans paid off, sponsorship monies, any extra matches.. i.e. cup ties.. isnt £3.5M a reasonable amount to spend on the team.. the goose that lays the golden egg.

HNC

I am with you on this but I suspect that Worthy is about to spend on some new signing. If we do not sign anyone then we will be in trouble. It is pointless to keep saying better to be careful etc.... no one is saying spend £25 million however a £5-7 million budget must be a minium target for a team wanting to say in the prem. If we do stay up and have not spent any money it will be because we were lucky, had no injuries and everyone played out of their skin.... that is a huge bet to make. In addition I do not think getting promotion once relegated will be as simple as everyone thinks for every WBA there is a West Ham or the Scum.. The time is now so please can Delia and the board dig deep and invest what we need to invest. Robert Chase''s biggest mistake was not to invest when the time was right it would be a shame for history to repeat itself.

Up the City

What?!?!?! The time was right to invest in Dec 2003 Jan 2004 and what did we do?

Invested in Hucks, Sven and Leon!!

That gave us the cash boost we needed to maintain and grow. But to throw the money we have made out the window would be a pointless excercise and leave us needing to do the same again to get back to this position. I think the directors will have looked long and hard at the situation - after all, it''s their money to make. And if they thought they could make more, I''m sure they would.

History will not repeat itself.

No way, sorry. It might be a huge bet to stay up without spending much money, but it is a safer one than spending £5-7m. You spend the money, and yes, you might be lucky and stay up. It would still be more likely (sorry to be pessemistic) we would spend that money and go down, and then you''d be stuffed. The club don''t have £5m spare anyway. Its a business, not a fairytale.

How many millions did Man City and Spurs have last year, and how rubbish were they. Yet what did Bolton and Portsmouth spend?

Firstly, where do you get the figure of £25m from?

I don''t know all the figures, but here are some really random bistromaths to consider:

Last season we made a loss of £4.6m, on the wages we were paying then.
We''re building an infill for the next part of £3m
We''re replacing the pitch for £650,000
We''ve paid out perhaps £1m for existing players because we got promoted (Drury, Svensson, Huckerby, maybe others) plus whatever bonuses for promotion, plus whoever''s contracts that we''ve paid up already (Easton, Rivers...)

So there''s perhaps £10m gone already, before we even kick a ball.

If we have 25 players on an average £10k per week each in the Prem, that would be £13m wage bill. We know some will be a lot higher than this (Hux on £20k+ now?).

That would leave about £2m of your £25m this season, even without paying off any debts.

So I''m not sure where you can get £5-7m from. Here are two sobering thoughts:

1. If some of our better players (Hux, Green''s new contract etc) have big rises because they got us promoted, much of the money you talk about is being spent just to keep the good players we''ve got, when in previous seasons they would have been sold to balance the books!

2. Had we not got promoted, we''d be ****ed. The club took a gamble and it paid off, but that now has to be paid back. So some of this year''s money will be paying for last year''s promotion, let alone building for the future. So its not so much what we do with the pot og gold at the end of the Premiership rainbow, but what the hell would we have done without it? Well, you don''t need to look very far around the Championship for clues.

Ama

Oh and plus... £6m from the land deal.... goes straight to the loan that was taken out to build the new South Stand. End of story. So ignore that money.

Or look at it this way - we were £15m in debt by the end of last season, including the new South Stand. Take your £25 + £6 + £2.5 and pay that off and you''re left with £16.5m as a starting point....

We don’t need to spend millions cos it don’t make no difference. Look at chelsea, liverpool, man c and the present man u side, who have all spent big. Now look at portsmouth, bolton and birmingham its about working hard with what you’ve got. When pompey went up I never thought they would beat man u and draw against arsenal away. We can do the same if we stick together and the team works hard. Us fans can play a big part in staying up, the pompey fans were fantastic for their team last season and they won a lot of there home games. Yes we need more men and that is what worthy is doing and he is bringing the right ones in, the ones that won’t damage the team that got us here. Sod the money I would have never expected us to spend 5-7million its time to start believing in what we have.

OTBC.

Thank god the mojaority of replies are in the "sod the money" camp. As has been rightly highlighted, money doesn''t always ensure success, and can cause more problems than it solves.

We may struggle, but we would have struggled even if we had spent 5 million on players.

Let''s just enjoy the challenge, and give it everything we''ve got.

You all have to remember Delia`s philosophy ......... its the basics , first and foremost ! ........ she made herself a fortune by sticking with those principles ....... its her money , she pays the piper , and she calls the tune !!......... I don`t doubt for a second that she was the decider during the Hucks saga ........ womans intuition ? .... the point I`m making here is that the club is not ruled by stupid people !! ......... they wont be throwing money around like there`s no tomorrow .......... as has been said, and proven, so many times here, and on many other forums , you can blow 6 mill quid on a " class" player , and end up with a dud who believes he is better than he actually is !........ Fowler ? ....... Keegan forgot the basics ......... like its a TEAM game !, he became besotted with his latest expensive wonderboy ... and it all came unstuck ...... 50 million quid got him a " team " that hit the basement , and very nearly had them relegated .........

If we cannot muster £5 million to strengthen the squad for a real push for staying in the Prem than I feel we really do lack the commitment needed to be a prem team. It is not being prudent by not investing in business at critical growth stages (aka Robert Chase) it is just lack of ambition and fear of failure by the board.

I take issue with Amarillo in a friendly way

Last season we made a loss of £4.6m, on the wages we were paying then.

I agree but I believe the club has already restructured this debt however I will agree to a £3 million allowance to pay for last year

We''re building an infill for the next part of £3m

Yes but that will be structured debt not cashflow so that is £3 million available for team building

We''re replacing the pitch for £650,000

See the answer above

We''ve paid out perhaps £1m for existing players because we got promoted (Drury, Svensson, Huckerby, maybe others) plus whatever bonuses for promotion, plus whoever''s contracts that we''ve paid up already (Easton, Rivers...)

That money has been paid and the money paid to Rivers etc will be more than offset by the savings on wages

So there''s perhaps £10m gone already, before we even kick a ball.

More like £4/5 million

If we have 25 players on an average £10k per week each in the Prem, that would be £13m wage bill. We know some will be a lot higher than this (Hux on £20k+ now?).

25 players earning 10k per week (Which 25 are you talking about?) - more like 15 players therefore that would be about £8 million (remember we have lost some high earners i.e Roberts)

That would leave about £2m of your £25m this season, even without paying off any debts.

That would leave £13 million of which £5 million for team building and £8 million for debt reduction and a juicy bonus for Delia

So I''m not sure where you can get £5-7m from.

See answer above

The additional money from Sky has to be used wisely and that is a mixture of debt reduction and team building the balance I feel is to much towards debt reduction. It seems that anyone on this board who asks for some investment is seen as a mad men/woman however I am not saying blow millions on loads of players just spend what it takes for a few quality signing e.g Primus / Harewood / or who ever NW fancies within our budget. I think we need some quality to have a small chance of staying up. It also seems that everyone thinks it is a case of banking the money this year going down and then coming back to become a Prem power team - If we get relegated it will be very hard to get back up. The time is now please have faith and even if we do not stay up we can at least say we gave a 100% to become the team we all want us to be.

Up the City

Here we go again......the figures are totally irrelevant really, but I''m sure the Pink Un ran a story quoting the figure at 17m.......

My point, though, is that I take issue with the ''push the boat out'' line personally, because if we do spend a bit more now, and still fail, the repercussions will be with us for many years to come without a massive outside investor. We have only just recovered from a period like that, thanks largely to Delia and Michael''s money and the sale of Craig Bellamy, not to mention some shrewd management by Worthy (after all, for all we love Delia and Michael, they were effectively running the club when Hamilton made his horrendous signings).

I for one am happy with our current situation, and would hate to see us return to the dark days for the sake of an attempt to stay in the top league.

This is only my opinion, I am not trying to tell everyone else they are wrong, it is just what I would like to see happening.

Milan Marcus, I have to disagree with your "boucing back" philosophy.

Every team that has accepted they are heading downwards and budgeted to come back up, has done so with relative ease. See Leicester, Charlton, WBA and probably other examples I can''t think of right now.

Then look at the casualties - Bradford tried to spend to stay up, as did West Ham and Sunderland. They should have realised that relegation was a probability and stopped firing their managers and buying in players. But they didn''t and now they are screwed. Look at our southerly neighbours. And don''t forget Derby (Ravanelli, Kinkladze et al couldn''t keep them up and crippled them financially). There''s plenty more examples of failure.

Then think of poor Watford. They banked all their Prem earnings, and let Vialli blow it all on overpaid rubbish. Now they are barely afloat, poor buggers.

Milan - ok, I don''t claim to know the real figures so I can''t really argue those. I''m not sure what you mean by ''restructure the debt'' though. If you do, tell me how I can ''restructure'' my mortgage so that I don''t actually have to pay it! Sooner or later we need to bring down a debt that has grown from £5m 2 or 3 years ago to £15m today. Pushing the boat out further just risks emulating the kind of ambition shown by Leeds and Bradford, whereas I''d rather be prudent like Charlton or West Brom.

I guess we''ll never get consensus on here because people have inherently different philosophies on risk and reward. I''d sooner not gamble everything, but some people would.

Ama