Sign in to follow this  
Windy

Wishfull Thinking?

I know it''s a little much to hope for, but I can''t help thinking how fab it would be to sign Helveg, Johansson and Primus. Primus and Helveg would be excellent cover for the center half and right wing back positions, and I''ve been very impressed with Johansson when he''s not been laid up with various afflictions.

If they were to sign, I think we''d have average Premiership quality players in most if not all areas of the pitch. Central midfield may still be a little suspect, but I have sneaky ideas that Francis is a star in the making. Much as it pains me, here is my personal analysis of our squad make-up:

Goalkeepers - Best in the division

Left Back - Jukebox is a legend, Charlton seems to know his stuff, Brennan can cope and Shackell at a push (although I''m convinced he should never be played out of the center of defence!)

Center Halves - Definitely need bolstering as it stands, but with the new lads would be adequate

Right Back - See center Halves

Left Wing - Brennan seems to be turning it on, McVeigh, on his day (that phrase again!), could hold his own in the Premiership, and the Huckster (not my preffered choice for left wing though)

Central Midfield - Who knows! I just can''t shake the feeling that we have some bloody good players in there. I''ve seen them all play bad games (except Saffri, but we shall see) and yet....

Right Wing - A bit thin on the ground, but if Bentley lives up to expectations and doesn''t get injured, we may only need one. I can''t see Henderson cutting the mustard at this level just yet though.

Center forwards - Huckerby, (Johansson) and Svensson all have Premiership experience (which doesn''t neccessarily score you a lot of goals I know) and I''m sure Leon is going to be amazing.

So there you have it, my take on some of squad. Without the three mentioned above, I''m merely excited and grateful that we''re in the top flight. With them, a little spark of ambition seems to be squeaking at me. Perhaps we could convincingly avoid the drop?

Can''t wait,

OTBC

Good to see some optamism about our squad. One thing though our right wing is virtually non existant (playing out of position strikers seems the only option), very surprised no one is talking about bringing a winger into the squad.

Ah, Windy, how refreshing! Are you sure you wouldn''t prefer us to go out and spend another 5m on the squad like a lot of others on these boards?

Your spin on it sums up my feelings on the squad too - if we manage to get the three players mentioned, we will have had a very good summer in the transfer market.

can we not add pennant to that list. i honestly believe that if the right approach was made he would come because contrary to what arsene says - he aint gonna get a game for the arse. i agree with you though windy 100%. i mean with brennan and leon on form it´s like signing two new players anyway. the thing with young guyz like leon is that they´re not afraid of reputations. i too think he´ll play a big part this year.

You are right Holloway, even with the prospective new signings we may be missing cover at right midfield. I don''t believe there will be further signings after JJ, Helveg and Linvoy (or their equivalents) so I believe that NW will look within the squad for answers. That means Hendo, Bentley or Mullers.

For me Bentley would start most matches (Hendo against Arsenal?) and be replaced by Mulryne on the hour mark. This happened regularly last season with Mulryne coming off the bench for either Hendo or Cooper. Mulryne is a more solid player defensively but I dont think he will get a look in the centre where Holt and Safri will be fighting for one spot with Francis.

Especially away from home start with Brennan and Bentley on the flanks to show some ambition. Mulryne replacing Bentley would then close teams out later in the game or add something new. Likewise, a similar system on the left flank with WLY replacing Brennan if a more attacking stance is necessary.

However, if Helveg does rock up at FCR he would take the Mulryne role or enable us with Brennan to play wing backs - which on reflection looks quite a mean side...

Green
Drury Charlton (Primus) Fleming
Brennan Helveg
Francis Holt Safri
Hux/Bentley
JJ/Svens

thoughts?????

Much as i love the Sentiment "Goalkeepers - Best in the Division"

I''m Not sure the Greeno/Gallacher Duo matches up to Cudicini/Chech.

Just had to Pipe up on that on,

BTW, Helveg; What a signing that would be!

Green
edworthy (primus/charlton) (fleming/helvig) drury
bently safri (frencis/holt)
leon/jonanson svensson huckerby

my formation (depending on signings) would be the above 442/433 formation
with huckerby playing up frontish

We''re gonna win the league, we''re gonna win the league. Or to the same tune: We will avoid the drop, we will avoid the drop. If we do stay up, it will feel like winning the league anyway!
Thanks for the optimism Windy!! Feels pretty good mate.

In total agreeance i do however feel that we could also do with another right winger. I would rather see bentley as an option up front and for the wing if we need it. i''d also rather Helveg played RB with him able to play on the wing if needed!

Basically Helveg, Johannson, Primus, another right winger would make me happy-er!

Helveg? I dont think its a great signing, you are all saying that cause you watched him in the euro championships, lets start he''s 33 not far off 34, for a wing back changing to a new faster paced league (only ever played in Italy) & add to that he didn''t play a single competative game last year for inter. Not the preparation you need for what is likely to be his penultimate season. He''s after a last pay day, nobody wants him, i''d cry if...only....I cared. Young fearless talent thats what we need we have more than enough experience.

Actually Helveg''s just 33 (24/6/71 according to Soccerbase), and he did OK for Denmark at Euro 2004.

I think you can safely argue that he is better than what we already have, so he improves the squad.

Ama.