Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Cant believe we didnt get Davies

So what happened there then?Were now faced with the prospect of Doherty and Shackell v Preston, who we know doesnt work and will be no better than Doc and Grounds.The defence has been our downfall all season and needs addressing immediately or we are down. Its not magically going to get better and we all know how good Doc and Shack will be together.

Further to that i really think the answer is to put Clingan at the back alongside Doherty. Fozzy and Russell in midfield was good enough last season, and judging by Fozzy''s performance in the 2nd half v Bristol, looks to be getting back to the form he showed last season when on our 13 match run.Clingan looks assured at the back and has the ability to bring the ball out and dictate we play a high line and counter attacking tempo.Doc & Clingan looks better to me than the current alternatives. With then Fozzy & Russell and Cort up front. That looks a strong spine.

previous poster is right... pulis has a few injuries so cannot let davies out to play... sammy needs to be played centre mid... he''s one of the most effective midfieldersin the champ... we''ve only just  got rid of a manager who played players out of position... i''d rather we kept players playing where they are best suited for now!

I just don''t know what it is though? On their day, Shacks and Doc are both good CB''s, but for some really strange reason when they play together they both make each other completely useless!!! It''s like the magnets thing! They must both be North facing each other! Other than that it''s one of natures natural phenomenons! [8-)]

If Cureton starts then thats it for me. Never been so frustrated with one player being picked week after week with no end produce.

So that''s a new player up front then ...... but who will be the two new full backs we despearately need after last week''s terrible showing?

reports today say the weather didnt help matters , stoke wouldnt let him go untill they have cover .

norwich still want him but so do three other teams now .

fingers crossed he still may be a canary , that would help our poor defence no end .

This just about sums our club up.

I was (stupidly I suppose) looking forward to my trip to Preston. Not even sure I can bother to go now.

The defence is crucial to our survival and the potential Davies signing was the one that excited me. Preston have far more financial problems than us but they are prepared to push the boat out to get into the top six.

I have tried to be positive for the last few years but I''m beginning to despair about our club. I think, for me, this is the last straw.

See you at the Carra next week then!!!

warning signs couldnt be any more obvious..

we must be the worst team in england to give away penalties and sending offs , of which has cost us big time .

im pleased shacks is back , but why wasnt more effort made to bring in proven players at the back .

durys not fit , we have no decent left hand cover , and one good player at right back .

we should have pushed the boat out and got taylor ,

once again i think gunns hans are tied by owners who cant see the wood for the trees.

[quote user="singing canary"]cant believe hes just gone to preston ...... and the script for saturday is.........!!![/quote]

You just know it don''t you?[:''(]

Put a tenner on him to score tomorrow. Unmarked from a corner. Has a tragic inevitability about it.

We''ve got a non match-fit Shackell though, so what''s everyone worried about!!!

Please can some of you wake up?

Norwich tried to sign him before the window, Stoke obviously said ''yes'',  but the weather stopped it. Stoke get a number of defensive injuries over the weekend, they then say we can''t have him until they assess their own squad. Norwich can''t hold off getting in cover just in case Stoke refuse the loan, so go for Shackell. Now it''s Friday and Stoke''s injuries are obviously not as bad as first thought, so he is available for loan. I''m guessing we no longer require him, but even if we did he now has a choice of living in a hotel in Norfolk for a few months, or travelling an hour up the M6 daily from Stoke to Preston... not a tough decision to make.

Have we really missed out that much. At 24 and not established in an average Stoke side, to the extent that they continually loan him out and look for better replacements.

To be fair Gunny tried to sign Purse permanently and that fell through because of Cardiff, not us.

It sounds very much like Davies isn''t match fit either!

What about this Leijar bloke, can''t he play centre back too?

Preston have only signed him for One month, If that is all Stoke would agree to then he was no good to us. As usul the press are making into a big headline disaster but as i say One month ain''t much cop.

[quote user="sturgeon220"]
  Preston have only signed him for One month, If that is all Stoke would agree to then he was no good to us. As usul the press are making into a big headline disaster but as i say One month ain''t much cop.
[/quote]

Alan Irvine does not like taking on loan players as he does not believe that they, on the whole, do not give 100% as their heart is not realy with the club and he doesn''t like to make loan signings because of this, unless it is in an emargancy and Preston currently have 4 defenders out injured, two of which should be back within the next 3 to 4 weeks and that is one reason it is only a month long loan.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Have we really missed out that much. At 24 and not established in an average Stoke side, to the extent that they continually loan him out and look for better replacements.[/quote]

Fans on PNE online are underwelmed so who knows?

Well thanks for all that folks. Some of the reasoning has helped.... a bit!

I have become a glass half empty bloke for a long time where NCFC is concerned.

So it''s off to Preston then. Pre match is always good. A laugh a pint and some food plus it''s cheaper up t''north.