Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Jon Otsemobor or Andy Hughes

I know who i would rather have right now. Hughes was poor going forward but you cant deny that defensively he was very solid and no nonsense.Considering the RB dilemma we now have who would you rather have?Semmy or Hughes?

Semmy.Andy Huges is and was a poor excuse for a footballer.   Reading must have laughed all the way to bank when we called and offered 800k for that sack of ****.

hooze

at least you know what you were getting. he was not great but never let anyone down.

as for semmy heres some reasons i really dont rate this guy.  

1.dis interested

2. no passion

3. inconsistant between average and poor

4. hides away in his right back role when things are going bad

5. cannot defend

6. cannot attack

7. Refuses to use his strongest skill, pace!

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

hooze

at least you know what you were getting. he was not great but never let anyone down.

1.dis interested

2. no passion

5. cannot defend

6. cannot attack

[/quote]this one is totally wrong LC. Semmy on his day is one of the best attacking full backs outside the premier. Problem is those days are 1 in 10.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

hooze

1.dis interested

2. no passion

5. cannot defend

6. cannot attack

[/quote]Thats a strange thing to say.   I felt quite let down when in the 90th minute, 2-1 up he decided it was a good idea to just hoof the ball across own goal and from their Hull went on a scored.I also remember seeing him at Colchester away when we lost 3-0.   That wasnt a great day for Andy and I felt quite let down again.Andy Hughes - Jack of all trades, master of none.

An ironic cheer greeted City''s first half-chance of the second period,

Croft cutting the ball back into the path of the on-rushing Hughes only

for the full-back to blast a first-time effort from 22 yards over the

away fans and into the road behind.
andIt was a moment to forget for Andy Hughes'' who attempted to head a deep

cross back to his ''keeper but sold Warner woefully short, allowing

Iwelumo to dart in and intercept. Although the big striker''s first

effort was well parried by Warner, he still had time to pick his spot

and net the rebound inside the near post.

[quote user="Duffman"]An ironic cheer greeted City''s first half-chance of the second period, Croft cutting the ball back into the path of the on-rushing Hughes only for the full-back to blast a first-time effort from 22 yards over the away fans and into the road behind.

and

It was a moment to forget for Andy Hughes'' who attempted to head a deep cross back to his ''keeper but sold Warner woefully short, allowing Iwelumo to dart in and intercept. Although the big striker''s first effort was well parried by Warner, he still had time to pick his spot and net the rebound inside the near post.

[/quote]

tbf at layer road all you had to do was put the ball a yard over the bar and it was out the ground. but point taken.

Semmy or Hughes? Neither. Let''s go out and find a good solid right back. Oh, and while we''re at it, a dependable left back and two centre backs would improve the team immeasurably!

Just because Semmy is having a tough time of it at the moment shouldn''t mean that we re-write history as far as Andy Hughes is concerned. The answer to your question is probably ''neither''. We should be looking to get someone in who is better than the pair of them as quite frankly neither are great full backs.

I think there''s a strong case for saying that full back is one the most important positions on the pitch in modern football. As more and more teams narrow their midfield and often play with no recognisable wide midfielder the full back has to provide that width as well as defend. Whereas in the past you could get away with just being a good defender or being great going forward but suspect defensively that is no longer the case. Semi looks half tidy going forward but suffers from severe lapses in concentration defensively and Hughes could be relied on defensively to stick to his man and generally spoil but offered nothing going forward.

One is a professional right-back with blistering pace and good positioning (when he concentrates admittedly), and the other is a shaved monkey who stumbled into a Norwich kit by accident but hung around because he said "yes boss" to every question, one of which unfortunately was "can you play right back Andy?".

Is the next question Mark Bowen or Patrick Boyle?

[quote user="Canary02 III"]

One is a professional right-back with blistering pace and good positioning (when he concentrates admittedly), and the other is a shaved monkey who stumbled into a Norwich kit by accident but hung around because he said "yes boss" to every question, one of which unfortunately was "can you play right back Andy?".

[/quote]

whos this then?

[quote user="Canary02 III"]

[/quote]

Blistering pace is irrelevant when he rarely uses it in either a attacking or defensive context

and as for "good positioning" i seldom see evidence to support that claim

the right-back position has been our achilles heel ever since Eddy left. i thought Wright and Bates looked half-decent in their brief stays but it needs sorting....and then perhaps we could look at the left-back slot which aint much better (neither Bertrand or Drury are convincing incumbents).

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."][quote user="Canary02 III"]

[/quote]

Blistering pace is irrelevant when he rarely uses it in either a attacking or defensive context

and as for "good positioning" i seldom see evidence to support that claim

the right-back position has been our achilles heel ever since Eddy left. i thought Wright and Bates looked half-decent in their brief stays but it needs sorting....and then perhaps we could look at the left-back slot which aint much better (neither Bertrand or Drury are convincing incumbents).

[/quote]

Even when he has had bad games recently and been giving the ball away, he has still been making interceptions in the box (doing a fair bit of sweeping up behind the centre-halves, especially in the air surprisingly), which is down to his good positioning. Positioning is one of his strengths, it''s concentration that lets him down.

I thought Wright was average, not bad but not anything special either, and Bates didn''t play for long enough to get a true impression, although he did well in the short time he did play. Bertrand is talented but has been under par this year, and Drury looks like he needs a run in the team to properly regain fitness and form.

[quote user="Canary02 III"]Semi seems to have replaced Doc as the boo-boys fav at the moment...[/quote]

Quite justifiably in my opinion.  In the last few home games he has been nothing short of woeful.  Lack of interest, lack of confidence, lack of skill- i don''t know the reason for it but it is an issue which needs sorting sooner rather than later.

This is also why i''m pretty disappointed that we missed out on Davies, at the very least he would have put pressure on Semmy to improve

Semi is rubbish.

To be fair to him, that alone isn''t enough to make me dislike him, as such. We''ve had a ton of rubbish players in recent years, but Semi is infinitely more frustrating because he clearly has potential. He''s just so goddamn hesitant and lazy that he never, ever shows it.

I''d rather have a rubbish players who puts in effort, like Hughes did. Alternatively, i''d rather have a decent player who put in effort, like Edworthy or Steeno.

Semmy is NOT one of the best attacking full backs outside the Prem!!!!

Deary me, i''ve heard it all now. Jon Otsemobor is the one who is a poor excuse for a footballer. It''s players like him that are ruining the game with the nonchalant attitude and arrogant swagger.

Much rather see an honest guy like Andy Hughes there.

Otsemobor is just cheep speed. Useful going forward (at times) but is at best a very poor defender. Rather than debate Semmy v Hughes I''d rather see Spillane given a go at right-back next season. Won''t happen this season I know but from what I hear about him at the Luton end he''s on the verge of becoming their Player of the Season!