Sign in to follow this  
Hannibal

Players clubbing

I like most people like a good drink at the weekends and enjoy the chance to let my hair down. However i have been getting a little PO''d seeing some of the Norwich players out in the city after a poor performance. I have seen them out on just about every night of the week! Regardless of if they drink or not surely this must have an effect on there performance in training and matches?

I was just curious to see what other peoples opinions are of this party life style? If i was manager i would certainly not let them be out on a the evening of a game they had lost or under performed in. i am sure they would try a lot harder to win then! I know they are human like us all but they should be setting an example and not seen to be careless about their image to fans.

Also if i was one of them i would of given Carl Cort a good ribbing for the lady he took home! the words Mutton and Lamb come to mind.   

[quote user="The Duke"]

I like most people like a good drink at the weekends and enjoy the chance to let my hair down. However i have been getting a little PO''d seeing some of the Norwich players out in the city after a poor performance. I have seen them out on just about every night of the week! Regardless of if they drink or not surely this must have an effect on there performance in training and matches?

I was just curious to see what other peoples opinions are of this party life style? If i was manager i would certainly not let them be out on a the evening of a game they had lost or under performed in. i am sure they would try a lot harder to win then! I know they are human like us all but they should be setting an example and not seen to be careless about their image to fans.

Also if i was one of them i would of given Carl Cort a good ribbing for the lady he took home! the words Mutton and Lamb come to mind.   

[/quote]

He''s so used to shopping in Asda that he''s gone for the SmartPrice range of lady!!!

If it started affecting them on the pitch then I would as manager being having words.  But players have always done this type of thing, if you haven''t read Gunny''s book, you ought to, gives some interesting insight into what goes on lol.

As a player they also have to have time to let their hair down and have fun, just like anyone else.

Let me guess you saw Carl Cort in Mercy on saturday night like i did? After his performance on saturday though, i think he deserved a good night out, whereas some of the others didn''t

Do you never go uot after a bad day at work?

I am emplyed to do my job, sometimes I have a good day, sometimes I have a bad day. But once my working day is over I do what I want to do thats my choice.

The Colonel wrote the following post at 12/02/2009 2:31 PM:

I am emplyed to do my job, sometimes I have a good day, sometimes I have a bad day. But once my working day is over I do what I want to do thats my choice.

if  i have a bad day i actually stay in and analyze where i went wrong. then again i am a true pro [:)]

[quote user="The Colonel"]

[/quote]

But it''s these players'' jobs to be fit and trim surely? I wouldn''t expect an astronaut to snort glue in their spare time or a model to sleep a couple of hours a night.

Far-fetched analogies I know but the best professional sportsmen should go easy on the booze and late nights. They''ll retire in their mid-thirties with a million in the bank and can do whatever they want then

[quote user="The Colonel"]

[/quote]Your argument is flawed, your job does not revolve around fitness and I assume you are not paid thousands a week.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="The Colonel"]

[/quote]
Your argument is flawed, your job does not revolve around fitness and I assume you are not paid thousands a week.
[/quote]

Luckily my job doesnt resolve around fitness and unfortunately I dont get paid thousands a week, I may be wrong but didnt the poster say that he wasnt drinking and was simply clubbing?

As long as he didnt have a kebab and/or a pizza on the way home I cant see why there is a problem with them giong out on their saturday night.

[quote user="The Colonel"][quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="The Colonel"]

[/quote]Your argument is flawed, your job does not revolve around fitness and I assume you are not paid thousands a week.[/quote]

Luckily my job doesnt resolve around fitness and unfortunately I dont get paid thousands a week, I may be wrong but didnt the poster say that he wasnt drinking and was simply clubbing?

As long as he didnt have a kebab and/or a pizza on the way home I cant see why there is a problem with them giong out on their saturday night.

[/quote]Hmm yeah fair point.

He seemed Sober to me, had a drink in his hand, don''t know what it was though. Proper legend though, seemed a really nice guy

[quote user="Big Bob"]He seemed Sober to me, had a drink in his hand, don''t know what it was though. Proper legend though, seemed a really nice guy[/quote]

I agree he did seem like a nice guy, and yes i did see him out on Saturday night his case was not the one i was pointing out though. I was just saying some gold digger done him like a kipper.

the main ones are, Matty P, Bertrand, Fozzy, previuosly Omozuzi, and Cureton. None of which i feel have performed to the standard required this season. Funny Kebabs cam up above too as Chris Martin was getting a good telling off the old bill in the Olive on Sat night!

The danger here I suppose, is assuming that most professional footballers actually give a fuck!

Most, I would imagine, don''t-its their job, go in perform-might be decent, might not be-but then go out regardless.

Some players hate the game-but have played because they have an ability, I suppose they just grew out of liking playing, but, when you''re earning thousands a week, you''d put up with that-David Batty is a great example, he hated the game and the image, so made his fortune and got out quick, long before he had to, in terms of his age or fitness.

Guess most of ours-though we have had notable exceptions-are the same, get the week and the game out of the way so you can get out and have a good time.

Doesn''t bother me,might be different if we had a game tuesday but as we don''t i don''t care how much beer he drinks how many kebabs he eats how many women(or men) he sleeps with aslong as he''s back training the next day surely he can recover in a week.

When I saw the title I was anticipating a Comic Relief-style event where we could go down Carrow Road with a stick and for every errant pass....[;)]

i agreeas long as they get up and do what they are paid to do.it doesnt matter what they do with their money.as long as they turn uplook at matty patty, he was totally wrecked, still turned up for training! [:P]

going out on the town is part of the footballers lifestyle, i remember a few years ago now forbes, roberts, mulryne and coote in time nightclub, adrian coote blagged me in vip and bought me a drink. going out and getting wrecked has been part of the lifestlye since i can remember!

nowadays you do seem to see the players out alot more than a few years ago. mercy vip is full of them every weekend.....even on a friday night i have seen eagle, renton etc in there then also in there on a saturday night with the rest of the squad!! sorry but that cant be good for a ''professional'' sports player.   

I hear regularly from some of my friends of players out on the p*ss/pull and to be honest I feel sympathy more than anger about it.We''re talking about young men with the money and means to go for the better things in life, yet they choose to spend their nights out in chav central.Sad really, so little imagination.

[quote user="king canary"]No Herb its not a big surprise, most footballers are just Chavs with money.
[/quote]

And most Senior Banking Executives, Government Ministers, MPs etc - (and others of their ilk).....Really don''t give a toss when feeding with a frenzy from the trough....But, they do have our ''best interest'' close to their purses and wallets.....

Sadly, that''s society. "OINK SQUEEEEALLLL! OINK! OINK! CHOMP SLOBBER SLURP"....

As long as its not each other or others then I don''t mind them clubbing!

Seriously they are human beings who have a life away from football, as long as their nighttime activities don''t effect their football then its none of our business!

[quote user="Victor Segura"]Doesn''t bother me,might be different if we had a game tuesday but as we don''t i don''t care how much beer he drinks how many kebabs he eats how many women(or men) he sleeps with aslong as he''s back training the next day surely he can recover in a week.[/quote]

And what''s wrong with kebabs (or pizza) may I ask too? Not a spot on pig''s fry.

Although quite frankly give me jerked pork with hot hardo bread, a good curried goat or a full Enlish breakfast any day!

I bet Delia doesn''t do any of these.

OTBC

OTBC

well, if it was me playing for Norwich, and i cared as much as i do, then only rarely would i want to go out and get hammered, but it''s easier said than done, what with the camararderie and that that must be amongst the players. If it wasn''t Norwich city, and i felt i could have the talent to do okay elsewhere, i''d struggle to find the motivation to not go out, and stay in and stay healthy. Loan players must be commited, because they come here with much higher ambitions than playing for us usually, and if they do rubbish for us, they leave with their careers wondering if they''ll even play for a team at our level again, it''s kinda make or break. Are you a scott parker or a Neale Fenn?, an Alex Pearce or a Des Hamilton?

being naive about the whole thing, and discounting my whole loyalty to Norwich, i''d say that my level of ambition would be earning around £10k a week, and then i think i just wouldn''t give that much of a toss!

A lot of them probably don''t care.  From my experience, most of the time they leave at a fairly reasonable time and only de-hydration would affect their performance the next day.  I would assume they are pretty clued up on it, and surely would not let themselves get so de-hydrated that it would be noticed in training!..

[quote user="pennywise "]

The Colonel wrote the following post at 12/02/2009 2:31 PM:

if  i have a bad day i actually stay in and analyze where i went wrong. then again i am a true pro [:)][/quote]

Just what I was going to type pennywise  completely agree :-)   Going and out and having a drink should not be banned for any  player - except pre match of course!!!

Love it - great book btw

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

or a model to sleep a couple of hours a night.

[/quote]Durrrr....probably not that much when they''re charlied up

I don''t recall anyone complaining when Gary Holt was stuffing himself full of kebabs in Pizza Plus or when Svennson was drunk out his mind in MasterChef - AS LONG AS they were doing the business. The problem is when they under perform, which we have been doing for a long time now.

Footballers will always be going out, attracting shallow girls and acting flash. It''s what footballers do.