Sign in to follow this  
canaryjock

Aviva - is this not a bit annoying?

Very annoying!

After disgracefully getting shot of the Norwich Union name and annoucing the Canaries shirt deal the same day to try to appease the City this again feels like a kick in the teeth for Norwich!

Norwich City FC need the money more than what the Irish do!

Sod Aviva - horrible corporate name who''s bosses and shareholders don''t give a toss about the community/workers/people of Norwich.  Sod Aviva.

[quote user="AndyJR"]Sod Aviva - horrible corporate name who''s bosses and shareholders don''t give a toss about the community/workers/people of Norwich.  Sod Aviva.[/quote]Well put.

I would think it''s a thank you for a Corporation Tax rate of 12.5 per cent.  Aviva''s fairly recent worldwide reinsurance business is headquartered in Dublin for that very reason..................[;)]

Aviva is an appalling name. It sounds like that rusting banger of a sixties/seventies car, the Vauxhall Viva. Why on earth they needed to mess about with that world famous name Norwich Union, goodness only knows.

[quote user="JimRoyle"]I just don''t understand why they changed the name - are they ashamed of Norwich or summat? It really brassed me off! [:@]
[/quote]

They operate in 27 countries and in only 4 of them do they not operate under the Aviva name. UK & Ireland, Poland and Holland. Im guessing the sponsorship is a part of the rebrand and raising awareness in Ireland of the forthcoming changes..

Its not that they are ashamed of our fine city, far from. They will still be one of the cities largest employers and centres of excellence are moving/staying here. (the logo will still remain the same) Its just that its time to move on and become a global brand....yada yada.....im not going to bore you with the details lol........

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="AndyJR"]Sod Aviva - horrible corporate name who''s bosses and shareholders don''t give a toss about the community/workers/people of Norwich.  Sod Aviva.

[/quote]
Well put.
[/quote]

I wonder where the "Little Norwich" stigma comes from?

When we get something local that is even remotely successful on a global stage, you cry that its taking local jobs, and they should keep everything local.

[quote user="NorfolknChance"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="AndyJR"]Sod Aviva - horrible corporate name who''s bosses and shareholders don''t give a toss about the community/workers/people of Norwich.  Sod Aviva.[/quote]Well put.[/quote]

When we get something local that is even remotely successful on a global stage, you cry that its taking local jobs, and they should keep everything local.

[/quote]You obviously never devoted 6 years of your life to working for them.... its nothing to do with "little Norwich" or taking local jobs, its simply to do with the fact that they''re all c*nts....Incidentally, the Norwich Union name and logo, as was, appears in The Matrix.....................

Mmmm. Let''s see. I want to conduct a high-profile awareness-raising deal for my company. Do I:

a) Sponsor a high-profile national stadium

b) Sponsor Carrow Road

Which will add the most value to my international brand? Tough choice. Why is anyone annoyed or even surprised by this?

I''m proud to be a Norfolk man but some of the small minded '' this is a local insurance company for local people'' attitude frankly makes me feel sick and sad.

For goodness sake wake up! Nobody owes anybody a living. We have to compete globally and whilst the Green Party would have us all living in tents in this country, the fact is in the rest of Europe and the World they play lip service to the sandel wearing beardists and get on and produce services more competitive than us!!

[quote user="JimRoyle"]I just don''t understand why they changed the name - are they ashamed of Norwich or summat? It really brassed me off! [:@]
[/quote]

I think it has something to do with the fact that they were one of the first companies to offshore jobs to India and cut UK jobs. I remember that I vowed never to buy their products from that day, approx. a decade ago, and I have stuck rigidly to that. The change of name is a cynical ploy to create a smokescreen so that people forget their shameful history, just as Arthur Anderson changed their name to Accenture after they were found out for alleged dodgy dealings with HMG.     

[quote user="Phil E Stein"]Aviva is an appalling name. It sounds like that rusting banger of a sixties/seventies car, the Vauxhall Viva. Why on earth they needed to mess about with that world famous name Norwich Union, goodness only knows.[/quote]

Cos the name isn''t world famous......

[quote user="Norfolk n Chance"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="AndyJR"]Sod Aviva - horrible corporate name who''s bosses and shareholders don''t give a toss about the community/workers/people of Norwich.  Sod Aviva.[/quote]Well put.[/quote]

[/quote]I predict they''ll "re-rebrand" back to Norwich Union within 5 years.Just the latest example of idiots paying w*nkers someone elses money to rebrand something that didn''t need a new identity in the first place.Anyone remember that the Royal Mail is now called Insignia?No?That''s because it was b*ll*cks.

Don''t worry folks.  The Dublin stadium will still be Lansdowne Road to the Irish just as the Towergate Stadium will still be Carrow Road to you (with lots more money, of course) just as the Weston Homes Community Stadium is really Cuckoo Farm, Boxford, as all Colchester fans know.

Whatever. [:|]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

Don''t worry folks.  The Dublin stadium will still be Lansdowne Road to the Irish just as the Towergate Stadium will still be Carrow Road to you (with lots more money, of course) just as the Weston Homes Community Stadium is really Cuckoo Farm, Boxford, as all Colchester fans know.

Whatever. [:|]

[/quote]Now what did you wanna go and do that for! You know what''ll happen next don''t you?

AAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What do you mean Phil, the Viva was an excellent car, at least it had some character, unlike the very boring cars of today.

As for NU/Aviva. If you don''t like it, don''t do business with them, there are hundreds of alternatives. Yes, I am sure the business brains of Aviva don''t wish to be associated with our city any longer, hence the name change.

AVIVA dont care about Norwich, they only sponsor us so that we are not as discruntled that they are scrapping our Norwich name. I refused to buy the shirt this season as I do not support the name change. They don''t care about us, it will all be in India in 10 years time, mark my words. It''s the same as the Nestle/Rowntree situation.

I agree the sponsorship deal (announced on the same day s the dropping of the Norwich Union name) was a blatant bit of PR to try and minimise any fallout in the area. Once that sponsorship deal is up I fully expect them not to renew it as any fuss will have died down by then. The one solace I have is they tried changing the name before and had to go back and I suspect exactly the same will happen this time as Norwich Union is a highly recognised brand in the UK and frankly Aviva is not. As for the claim above that its not worldwide I would dispute that. I have seen street and office blocks named after Norwich and Norwich Union in cities througout the world. i would admit however that the brand is not as strong as here in the uk and therefore a transition to Aviva has been easier for them.

I can understand why they would sponsor this stadium. It will be fantastic exposure for them in terms of their profile in ireland and internationally - much more than they would get from sponsoring us these days!

[quote user="bullshead"]

[quote user="Phil E Stein"]Aviva is an appalling name. It sounds like that rusting banger of a sixties/seventies car, the Vauxhall Viva. Why on earth they needed to mess about with that world famous name Norwich Union, goodness only knows.[/quote]

[/quote]

Are you kidding me? Why did Y Viva Espana, or whatever this insurance company like to be known as now, spend millions of pounds on an advertising campaign informing the public of their change of name then? Ok, plenty of ignorant fools couldn''t point to Norwich on a map, but I''m sure millions of people have heard of Norwich Union, which has been one of this country''s foremost insurance companies for many, many years. If it ain''t broke, don''t fix it!

[quote user="Phil E Stein"][quote user="bullshead"]

[/quote]

Are you kidding me? Why did Y Viva Espana, or whatever this insurance company like to be known as now, spend millions of pounds on an advertising campaign informing the public of their change of name then? Ok, plenty of ignorant fools couldn''t point to Norwich on a map, but I''m sure millions of people have heard of Norwich Union, which has been one of this country''s foremost insurance companies for many, many years. If it ain''t broke, don''t fix it!

[/quote]

The biggest Nisurere in the UK, not the world.  Aviva is globally known, it has nothing to do with ditching "Little Norwich".  People on here moan about Norwich being described as "little" but most posts previous in this thread make it obvious that it is you who have set that mind frame