Sign in to follow this  
Mr Magoo

What has Gunn really changed?

I know that we have brought in a couple of loan signings, however none have really solved our defensive problems. We are back with Shax and Doc a pairing that was not working for us last season let alone now that we really need solid defence. From what I have seen Grounds is prone to errors in every match and is far fom reliable. We continue with bloody Fotheringham every game, Cureton has continued to have chance after chance. Plyers such as Lappin and Pattison continue to sit dormant in our squad and the feeling that certain players are guaranteed a place is still present. We continue to lose or at best scrabble together a point and yet Gunn carries on in the same vein as Roeder post match saying that we are playing well and deserve more, both claims are bollox, we are not playing well we are getting wht we deserve, and the lack of mbition shown by the appointment of the hall of fame may well be the final nail in our championship coffin.......

Exactly - it''s just business as usual I''m afraid. Other than the second half against Barnsley and by all accounts away at Wolves, we haven''t performed any better and Gunn''s tactical naivety has really shone through, but that''s not a surprise and it''s not his fault.

Agreed, it is very sad but for some weeks now I really do believe that there is nothing that can stop us going down this year. I really hope I am wrong

[quote user="Mr Magoo"]I know that we have brought in a couple of loan signings, however none have really solved our defensive problems. We are back with Shax and Doc a pairing that was not working for us last season let alone now that we really need solid defence. From what I have seen Grounds is prone to errors in every match and is far fom reliable. We continue with bloody Fotheringham every game, Cureton has continued to have chance after chance. Plyers such as Lappin and Pattison continue to sit dormant in our squad and the feeling that certain players are guaranteed a place is still present. We continue to lose or at best scrabble together a point and yet Gunn carries on in the same vein as Roeder post match saying that we are playing well and deserve more, both claims are bollox, we are not playing well we are getting wht we deserve, and the lack of mbition shown by the appointment of the hall of fame may well be the final nail in our championship coffin.......
[/quote]

Nothing has changed, we are still making the same mistakes at the back week after week and we are still losing games, it''s not Gunnys fault but I''m afraid he''s beginning to look out of his depth. One win in 6 games is not good enough and I can''t see us getting out of this mess.

Nothing.

Which is why (despite the fact I disliked the man intensely, and will recieve a barrage of abuse for saying this) I would have kept Roeder until the end of the season.

I said it at the time that I didn''t feel we should get rid of him - purely because of the options that would have been available to us as alternatives, and the financial situation at the club (i.e. none available) and so it showed to be true.

The sacking of Roeder and the appointment of Gunn was a desperation measure by the board because in their tiny little heads they thought this was the way to get most people to renew their season tickets next year - in no way was the decision a football one it was a financial one - to protect their investments

I will go on record as saying that I think we would have had a better chance of staying up if Roeder was in charge. Experience and contacts..

To be fair to Gunny he has the players playing with a bit more spirit and less fear, but i don''t think that will be enough to save us from relegation. They are simply not good enough as a team to survive!

[quote user="The Judge"]

Nothing.

Which is why (despite the fact I disliked the man intensely, and will recieve a barrage of abuse for saying this) I would have kept Roeder until the end of the season.

I said it at the time that I didn''t feel we should get rid of him - purely because of the options that would have been available to us as alternatives, and the financial situation at the club (i.e. none available) and so it showed to be true.

The sacking of Roeder and the appointment of Gunn was a desperation measure by the board because in their tiny little heads they thought this was the way to get most people to renew their season tickets next year - in no way was the decision a football one it was a financial one - to protect their investments

I will go on record as saying that I think we would have had a better chance of staying up if Roeder was in charge. Experience and contacts..

[/quote]

Complete and utter rot. Roeder had alienated half of the squad and even the other half had lost confidence in his management skills. I`m not saying that Gunn is our likely saviour, however we had no chance of staying up had Roeder remained in business. Gunn was a cheap short term option (nothing against the bloke), and in reality was probabaly the only option the board had. It was an attempt to appease the fans whilst not spending any significant cash. They wanted a short term fix until our status at the end of the season is decided one way or the other.

The only positive thing about this whole sorry saga is that the board may well have used their last chance, and metaphorically signed their own death warrant by employing a popular figure head. As has been stated the fans must not hold Gunn responsible for the clubs failure should we go down. The problems lie much deeper.

And in defence of Ratty, he was and is an awful manager and coach, but he has got a good eye for spotting young talent. He should only have ever been employed as a scout

He was never going to, he was a Puppet being played to sell season tickets.We needed someone to sit Delia down and Jerry maguire like say "Help me, Help you, Help me Help you" not someone who said ok we will go with what we have got.

Whether Gunn is the right manager or not, the fact is that our team is not good enough. We''ve had a terrible defence for years but now we have nothing up front either. So we can play decent football at times but we can''t score and can''t defend which means we are going down.

Would Roeder have amassed less points than Gunns miserable return ? i doubt it , Gunn looks so far out of his depth somebody should phone the coastgaurds .

[quote user="Dictator Smith"]Would Roeder have amassed less points than Gunns miserable return ? i doubt it , Gunn looks so far out of his depth somebody should phone the coastgaurds .
[/quote]

Sadly true DS, Uncle Fester is way out of his depth, sad really.

[quote user="Mr Magoo"]I know that we have brought in a couple of loan signings, however none have really solved our defensive problems. We are back with Shax and Doc a pairing that was not working for us last season let alone now that we really need solid defence. From what I have seen Grounds is prone to errors in every match and is far fom reliable. We continue with bloody Fotheringham every game, Cureton has continued to have chance after chance. Plyers such as Lappin and Pattison continue to sit dormant in our squad and the feeling that certain players are guaranteed a place is still present. We continue to lose or at best scrabble together a point and yet Gunn carries on in the same vein as Roeder post match saying that we are playing well and deserve more, both claims are bollox, we are not playing well we are getting wht we deserve, and the lack of mbition shown by the appointment of the hall of fame may well be the final nail in our championship coffin.......[/quote]I kno0w we dont have much time, but by all accounts we were unlucky at Preston!As for defense, butterworth has only just joined, look at Steve Clarke at West Ham, it took a while for his defensive skills to work on them, so I think we will improve.  I am so scared of relegation, with the games in hand and everything, but what did you want, us to beat a team (Preston) with amazing home record in the playoffs and Bristol City doing much better?  Give him some time, I beleive he can get us out of this, and true about Pattison, but is Lappin really that good???

Players subconciously wanting to do well for the team and the manager!

Silly question really cause Roedernowhere was useless, needed replacing and we''d be in a far worse position with him still at the helm!

With 3 points from the last 15 Roeder would have been very hard pushed to do worse wouldnt he ?