Sign in to follow this  
Robbo007

Opening day first 11??

Any thoughts on who will start on the first day of the season?? I see the players chances as being

Defininte: Green
Drury
Fleming
Holt
Huckerby

Likely: Mackay
Edworthy
Francis
Bentley
Svennson

Maybe: Charlton
Safri
Brennan
Mckenzie
Mulryne
Mcveigh

No chance: Abbey and all the other bench warmers

Any thoughts?

At the time of writing (assuming no new transfers)

Greeno, Drury, Malk, Flem, Eddie
Hucks, Holty, Francis, Bentley
Leon, Svens

to clip the Eagles wings...

Nice to see Dirty Lyle predicting such an attacking formation, with hucks & bentley on the wings supporting 2 out and out strikers.

This is also the formation I would like to see with the likes od safri & charlton coming on to shore things up once we enter the closing stages 2-1 up.

Also, I would like to see Jarvis given a chance in the last 10 mins to get a taste of the prem

My feeling is that NW will stick with the same defensive unit (again assuming no new signings are made) as last season against Palace. Charlton and possibly Safri and Mulryne will be added if we need to go to plan B. I am sure they will all get their chance at some stage of the season as it will be "horses for courses".

3 points are a must against Palace so a defensive unit who know each other inside out is crucial.

I think he could start against palace with a 4-3-3 as it will pretty much be a div team and then change it for real life in prem.

Palace

Green

Edworthy Charlton Fleming Drury

Safri Francis Holt

Bentley Hux
Mackenzie

My preferred prem team from current staff would be

Green

Edworthy Charlton Fleming Drury

Bentley Francis Holt McVeigh

Leon Hux

The only thing aobut that team DD and DL:
is the fact Huckerby is on the right altough im sure he will not like sharing a wing with bently (if he played left striker)
I agree with the Charlton for Malky thou, i dont think hell have enough pace for us against the big boys!

Sometimes I worry about people on this message board, anyone who watches or plays footy at a decent level knows Norwich won''t play Hucks on the wing next season and that Norwich will play two solid banks of four with two up front!!! U can not carry Huckerby defensively in the Prem especially with Bentley on the other wing. It will probably be

Green
Edworthy:Fleming:Mackay:Drury
Bentley:Holt/ :Francis:Brennan/
Safri Safri
Svensson:Huckerby

Pottsy, you are spot on mate, we will play two banks of four away from home at least. However, if we are picking a team to play Palace on the opening day at home, Hucks and two strikers would definitely be a positive step in getting those three points.

Given how he has played so far on pre-season I wouldn''t be surprised to see Brennan starting at Old Trafford with Hucks taking over from Leon up front.

grean

DRURY, MACKAY, FLEMING, EDWORTHY

BRENNAN, HOLT, FRANCIS, BENTLEY

HUCKERBY
SVENSSON

subs
GALLACHER
MCKENZIE
MULRYNE
MCVEIGH/ABBEY
CHARLTON

JUST NOT TO SURE IF I WOULD GO FOR ABBEY OR MCVEIGH DEPENDS IF ABBEY GETS A NEW DEAL WHICH I THINK HE SHOULD

AND ALSO NOT SURE IF I WOULD GO FOR HUCKERBY ALONG SIDE SVEN OR JUST BEHIND

I would like to see the youngsters Shackell and Jarvis in my squad, and my opening team would be as follows:

GREEN

EDWORTHY FLEMING SHACKELL DRURY

BENTLEY FRANCIS HOLT BRENNAN

MCKENZIE HUCKERBY

SUBS: GALLAGHER, CHARLTON, SAFFRI, SVENSSON, JARVIS

We will not start next season with the central defensive pairing of Malky and Flem as Worthy is well aware of the need for some pace.

Based on current squad he''ll probably play Flem and Charlton in my opinion but I am still hopeful that by the time the season starts we could have a back four of Helveg,Fleming,Primus and Drury!

I know some people favour going for a straight 442, but I have a formation which I think would accomodate the players that reportedly played well in Malaysia such as Brennan, Francis and Bentley with the addition of the 3 new signings we may make. Obviously if we don''t sign Helveg, Primus and Johansson then this formation probably wouldnt work.

-------------------------------------Green

--------------------------------Primus----Charlton
--------------------Helveg----------------------------Drury

-------------------Mulryne----------Francis----------Brennan

-------------------------------------Bentley

----------------------------Johansson-----Huckerby

Bit unusual to some of the formations people have been suggesting but I could see it serving us well. Only problem may come from the midfield being over run and the other team dominating.

-------------GREEN-------------

HELVEG PRIMUS FLEMING DRURY

-------- HOLT----FRANCIS-------

--BENTLEY---MULRYNE---HUCKERBY--

------------SVENSSON-------------

SUBS:
GALLACHER
MACKAY
SAFFRI
BRENNAN
MCKENZIE

This formation leaves us with two ball winners in the middle of the park, protecting the back four, and they can then feed the three most creative players in our team (Mulryne, Huckerby, Bentley), who can all open up a defence. When the play is on the left, Bentley can join Svensson up front (or McKenzie, whoever plays there), and when it''s on the right, Huckerby can drift infield. Both Huckerby and Bentley are then used not only as wingers, but also as a second striker, a position they both enjoy.

When possesion is conceded, the three players behind the front man can drop back to form a five man midfield, making us hard to break down.

You can replace Helveg and Primus with Edworthy and Mackay should we fail to make the signings, and McKenzie would have a good shout of playing up front in place of Svensson (though the options we have mean that any one of our strikers could play there).

All in all I feel this formation would suit us best, giving us flexibility in attack, and solidity in defence, especially with Holt and Francis (maybe Saffri instead of one of these two, depending on form, fitness, etc) protecting the back four.

Agree or disagree?

Or we could follow Portugals lead and go 4-2-3-1 with

Green

Helveg Fleming Charlton Drury

Holt Francis

Leon Bentley Hux

Svennson

OTBC

MG7 - sorry - no plagarism planned - when I submitted my near identikit version of your post it hadnt yet appeared on the yet - it arrived a good 20 mions later - honest!

Good to see great minds think alike - or is it fools seldom..?

OTBC

No probs ZLF, I''m glad someone else thinks that it would be a good formation to play!

Would be really good to see Worthington go with such a formation - football''s not just 4-4-2 any more, and this one gives us men high up the park when going forward, plus a solid line of 5 across midfield when defending. Doubt Worthington will go for it though... :(