Sign in to follow this  
Canary02 III

Balance

This board amuses and scares me in equal measure. As a microcosm of society it''s fascinating to see how quickly after a result people come on here and invest so much passion in reaction to the result of the match, whether it be positive or negative. Just like society, the quickest reactions are always the most passionate, and so every disappointing result means it''s all awful and all is lost, every positive result is definitely the start of a bright new dawn.

Todays loss was an away match, narrowly lost to a team having a far better season than us. It won''t break our entire season. Nor were we consummately outplayed, and neutral observers commented that both teams held the momentum at various times and either could have won, which, considering the starting positions of the sides and the fact that we were away, is actually encouraging.

Everyone is writing off the team, Gunn, the board etc, but as scary as it is to be so close to the relegation zone at this point of the season, the fact is that if performances can be maintained as they are, we may still avoid relegation with relative comfort. The one thing that will certainly drag us down is if everyone gets carried away with a poor result and the belief drains away from the players. It shouldn''t, as they are actually moving in the right direction, albeit slowly (and I know I''ll get shouted down for saying that but it doesn''t change the fact that I believe it''s true).

Anyway, my main point is that I''d ask all fans, regardless of their standpoint to channel their energies and frustrations in ways which don''t destroy the players confidence. As cathartic as it is to scream murder from the rooftops and make yourself feel better after a defeat, the fact remains that we do still have a great chance of staying up, mainly due to the relatively poor state of some of the other clubs around us if nothing else. However, if we blow every little thing up out of all proportion and cry relegation every time we don''t win, we miss the bigger picture and drain fragile confidence away from the club.

I''m not against free-speech or criticising whomever you see fit, but at this point, with the transfer window shut, nothing more can be done in terms of decisions. We have 13 games of football to win and all of us love the club and want them to survive.

So much of football is confidence and whether you believe it or not we can all make such a difference, if we want to.

[quote user="Canary02 III"]

This board amuses and scares me in equal measure. As a microcosm of society it''s fascinating to see how quickly after a result people come on here and invest so much passion in reaction to the result of the match, whether it be positive or negative. Just like society, the quickest reactions are always the most passionate, and so every disappointing result means it''s all awful and all is lost, every positive result is definitely the start of a bright new dawn.

Todays loss was an away match, narrowly lost to a team having a far better season than us. It won''t break our entire season. Nor were we consummately outplayed, and neutral observers commented that both teams held the momentum at various times and either could have won, which, considering the starting positions of the sides and the fact that we were away, is actually encouraging.

Everyone is writing off the team, Gunn, the board etc, but as scary as it is to be so close to the relegation zone at this point of the season, the fact is that if performances can be maintained as they are, we may still avoid relegation with relative comfort. The one thing that will certainly drag us down is if everyone gets carried away with a poor result and the belief drains away from the players. It shouldn''t, as they are actually moving in the right direction, albeit slowly (and I know I''ll get shouted down for saying that but it doesn''t change the fact that I believe it''s true).

Anyway, my main point is that I''d ask all fans, regardless of their standpoint to channel their energies and frustrations in ways which don''t destroy the players confidence. As cathartic as it is to scream murder from the rooftops and make yourself feel better after a defeat, the fact remains that we do still have a great chance of staying up, mainly due to the relatively poor state of some of the other clubs around us if nothing else. However, if we blow every little thing up out of all proportion and cry relegation every time we don''t win, we miss the bigger picture and drain fragile confidence away from the club.

I''m not against free-speech or criticising whomever you see fit, but at this point, with the transfer window shut, nothing more can be done in terms of decisions. We have 13 games of football to win and all of us love the club and want them to survive.

So much of football is confidence and whether you believe it or not we can all make such a difference, if we want to.

[/quote]

I do think you need to quickly copyright your most articulate thoughts from above.... Just in case our CE Mr Dronecaster plagiarises them by typing them verbatim, for his fortnightly sanctimonious musings in the eagerly awaited Archant''s EDP...... "The Chief" column.

Neil Doncaster, Norwich City FC chief executive SMUGGY SMUG SMUG! [8-|]

[/quote]

I think you speak a lot of sense, but what is transmitted on this message board is for many a safe and cathartic release...its not like booing at games, is it? ...not unless unless you are suggesting that the majority of City followers formulate their opinions on what is read here...and our  ''fragile'' squad reads our comments with  the constitutions of young schoolgirls, eavesdropping the gossip of the playground.

A well reasoned post. However how are the following results a move in the right direction?Barnsley Home 4-0: This is becoming a gift every year, in fact I can see Barnsley saving the fuel bills next season and just giving us the 3 points. Everybody has a jinx fixture and this is theirs! We were also playing our first game for a new manager, the stats for teams doing this are scary. I always have a wager on a side in this position. I guess it is players trying to justify their over inflated wage to the new boss. Christ Derby beat Man Utd recently on there first game with Clough announced actually managing to score against them. This paid a lovely 16-1!Southampton Home 2-2: An awful result after leading 2-0, we should have just came out and made the game dull 2nd half. This after all was a massive 6 pointer. It looked though as if Gunn only has a Plan A and no Plan B.Doncaster Away 1-1: Yet again new manager syndrome, this is the first time we have travelled away under our new boss with our over inflated wages. Again scary stats. We won our first game away under Grant and Roeder before the players settled back in to there relaxed mode. We could not even manage it this time.Wolves Away 3-3: Not a bad result really, however it appears from yesterdays result Wolves may have got a bit edgy now. They certainly sounded there for the taking on the night. We scored 3 away and still could not get 3 points (Thats scary)Bristol City Home 1-2: We must win our home games to survive now, however the players have now relaxed after a good result away to wolves? Feel they have proved their over inflated wages and can now relax. We run around cahsing the ball for 90 minutes being totally outplayed by Bristol. In fact we look like a side that should be in the bottom 3!Preston Away 1-0: We have now became relaxed on the road, yes we go there and go down without much of a fight having 1 deflected shot on target. Players like Carney still cant get a look in as Gunn sticks to Plan A!!So thats 6 played, 1 Win, 3 draws and 2 losses. giving 6 points from 6 games. goals for 12, against 9. which is quite clearly not good enough and is relegation form. We ahve also played Barnsley, Doncaster and Southampton during this period. I doubt the up and coming fixtures are as kind! We are in real trouble and I unlike you see no improvement at all. I actually felt that we would have just survived under Roeder (although I did not like him as a person) I now however will be very surprised if we stay up. I just hope we dont go down at Portaloo Road that would be too much to take. Something none of us deserve but is very much a possibility!!!

[/quote]I love how you titled your post "Balance" when it should really be called "apologist nonsense."Personal highlight:"Everyone is writing off the team, Gunn, the board etc, but as scary as

it is to be so close to the relegation zone at this point of the

season, the fact is that if performances can be maintained as they are,

we may still avoid relegation with relative comfort."
Let''s look at the facts, shall we?Last 5 games:Southampton (H) - 1 pointDoncaster (A) - 1 pointWolves (A) - 1 pointBristol City (H) - 0 pointsPreston (A) - 0 pointsIf performances are maintained as we are, we will only stay up if three teams go into administration.

[quote user="Hooleyfan"][quote user="Canary02 III"]

[/quote]

I think you speak a lot of sense, but what is transmitted on this message board is for many a safe and cathartic release...its not like booing at games, is it? ...not unless unless you are suggesting that the majority of City followers formulate their opinions on what is read here...and our  ''fragile'' squad reads our comments with  the constitutions of young schoolgirls, eavesdropping the gossip of the playground.

[/quote]

I agree that it shouldn''t affect the players, but I think it does eventually. The tone and feeling of a club is governed by its supporters, and if the knee-jerk reactionists constantly prophesise doom on here, and their views seep into the majority which is then seen out in games it can become a self-fulfilling prophesy. I just think the margins between victory and defeat are so slim, and so confidence-driven that we need to realise our part in this process. Look how many posts on here start with "we''re definitely down" or similar. Are Doncaster fans as pessimistic? Or even Charlton fans come to that?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Canary02 III"]

[/quote]

I love how you titled your post "Balance" when it should really be called "apologist nonsense."

Personal highlight:

"Everyone is writing off the team, Gunn, the board etc, but as scary as it is to be so close to the relegation zone at this point of the season, the fact is that if performances can be maintained as they are, we may still avoid relegation with relative comfort."

Let''s look at the facts, shall we?

Last 5 games:

Southampton (H) - 1 point
Doncaster (A) - 1 point
Wolves (A) - 1 point
Bristol City (H) - 0 points
Preston (A) - 0 points

If performances are maintained as we are, we will only stay up if three teams go into administration.

[/quote]

The key word is "performances". Southampton was a great first half and an awful second that let us down. Doncaster was an away point, and a reasonable performance in a difficult match. Wolves was, by anyones standards a great away point. Bristol City, it could be argued, was down to refereeing decisions, although personally I just think we were beaten by a better team who are on a very good run. And Preston was a narrow defeat away to a team in the top 4. Two home matches, one draw and one defeat, which is not good enough. Three away matches, two draws and a narrow defeat, against three teams on good runs when we played them, which is not bad.

That''s what I mean by Balance. As for Apologist, how is that relevant? I never mentioned the board once. Or are we back to the polarising days of Worthy Out Vs Keep the Faith and you''re either one of the mob or you''re against us? The purpose of the post was to point out that regardless of decisions, we are where we are, and nothing can change that. As City fans we all want to stay up, and I believe the best way to do that is to remain confident and positive and get behind Gunny and the team. Or we could get into two camps, scream "SACK THE BOARD" and create a horrible counter-productive atmosphere for the last 13 games just to really shoot ourselves in the foot.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]The key word is "points".5 games, 3 points.I need say nothing else.[/quote]

Good comeback Potsy.

[/quote]You''ve truly excelled yourself there.  Be proud.  And it''s only 10am.  How will the rest of the day live up to this moment of glory?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Canary02 III"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]The key word is "points".

5 games, 3 points.

I need say nothing else.

[/quote]

Good comeback Potsy.

[/quote]

You''ve truly excelled yourself there.  Be proud.  And it''s only 10am.  How will the rest of the day live up to this moment of glory?

[/quote]

Another trite and smug comeback. Ever thought of actually contributing, or is sneering much easier than providing an opinion that may (shock horror) not be popular with all?

[quote user="Canary02 III"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Canary02 III"]

5 games, 3 points.

I need say nothing else.

[/quote]

Good comeback Potsy.

[/quote]

You''ve truly excelled yourself there.  Be proud.  And it''s only 10am.  How will the rest of the day live up to this moment of glory?

[/quote]

Another trite and smug comeback. Ever thought of actually contributing, or is sneering much easier than providing an opinion that may (shock horror) not be popular with all?

[/quote]

I liked it.....[Y][:D]

[quote user="Canary02 III"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Canary02 III"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]The key word is "points".5 games, 3 points.I need say nothing else.[/quote]

Good comeback Potsy.

[/quote]You''ve truly excelled yourself there.  Be proud.  And it''s only 10am.  How will the rest of the day live up to this moment of glory?[/quote]

[/quote]Got it in one, tosspot!

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Canary02 III"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Canary02 III"]

5 games, 3 points.

I need say nothing else.

[/quote]

Good comeback Potsy.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Got it in one, tosspot!
[/quote]

Feel better now dear? Knickers untwisted now you''ve called the man a semi-naughty word that you hope you''ll get away with.

Bless.

[quote user="Canary02 III"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Canary02 III"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Canary02 III"]

Good comeback Potsy.

[/quote]You''ve truly excelled yourself there.  Be proud.  And it''s only 10am.  How will the rest of the day live up to this moment of glory?[/quote]

[/quote]Got it in one, tosspot![/quote]

Feel better now dear? Knickers untwisted now you''ve called the man a semi-naughty word that you hope you''ll get away with.

Bless.

[/quote]Another trite and smug comeback. Ever thought of actually contributing,

or is sneering much easier than providing an opinion that may (shock

horror) not be popular with all?