Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

we are missing the leaders

in the european Season we had butterworth, Megson and Gunn

in the Promotion season it was Huckerby, Roberts, Fleming and Malky

even last season we had Hucks and Dion

my point is that these were the dressing room leaders, and we are missing them.

They were the people who would fire the squad up and get them playing better.. the ones the less experienced players looked up too and went to for advice.

I dont think its any secret that since losing Hucks and Dion from the dressing room our form has suffered.. Cureton is not a leader, neither is Fozzy or Rusty..we need "Been there, done that" players, like the ones i mentioned above.. they dont need to be good footballers, just people who command respect and can be relied on to say what needs to be said..

we have missed that this season, can Gunny pull a rabbit out of hat and find someone who can do the role?

jas :)

Couldn`t agree more. Older heads with a bit of swagger (or younger heads with true grit and determination is what we need to instill confidence). I think half of Southamptons problems (other than their equally rubbish board ) is to do with their very young players. When things are going well, theres no problem but when heads dip and they have a wobble they have no older players to steady the ship and instill confidence

Think you''re right Jas.  There isn''t really anybody to take the bull by the horns.  Although we have experience in players like Doc and Russell, they never come over as the sorts who look to take charge in a big way.

Since the prem season we have been missing any leadership - not just captaincy but players who will be vocal and motiviational on the pitch. Not oneof the managers since that season seems to have recognised and recruited on that basis though - so what do us opinionated uneducated masses know?  

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Since the prem season we have been missing any leadership - not just captaincy but players who will be vocal and motiviational on the pitch. Not oneof the managers since that season seems to have recognised and recruited on that basis though - so what do us opinionated uneducated masses know?  [/quote]

I don''t remember any of our tenures as England manager...

Didn''t Worthy try and convince us of Andy Hughes abilities as a leader at one point? Seems an awfully long time ago now, but to be fair there''ve been about 100 players through the club since then!