Sign in to follow this  
Erik the Viking

Captain Fantastic!?!?!?

Did anyone hear the interview with Fotheringham on radio narfolk today?. The least inspirational guy I have ever heard speak and if he is our captain and meant to gee the boys up etc no wonder we are in our current predicament!, I have played under better leaders on a Sunday morning!

The worst captain at our club in living history and whatever happens I hope I never see this excuse of  a player in the yella "n" green ever again after this hellish season!

[quote user="Gazza"]

Did anyone hear the interview with Fotheringham on radio narfolk today?. The least inspirational guy I have ever heard speak and if he is our captain and meant to gee the boys up etc no wonder we are in our current predicament!, I have played under better leaders on a Sunday morning!

The worst captain at our club in living history and whatever happens I hope I never see this excuse of  a player in the yella "n" green ever again after this hellish season!

[/quote]

Spot on Gazza. You would have thought that the fact that 99% of Norwich City fans dont rate Fotheringham as either a player or captain would kind of ruin his chances of keeping the captaincy. Any other club would have most likely docked his salary for his constant poor performances. Instead we reward him with the armband and offer him regualr first team football. Is strange how Gunn has perservered with him after Roeder? If I was Norwich manager the first thing I would do is give Fotheringham a proper bollocking and let him see out the rest of his contract in the reserves. The armband quite clearly belongs to Clingan.

Why is this guy still at the club? He is the least inspirational captian I have ever seen and so, so poor. I''ll never forget his interview after the first win of the season (and that took bloody long enough to come, at Plymouth!) when according to ''Fozzy'' we were suddenly world beaters and would obviously be challenging for the title. What a tw*t.

The unfortunate thing is Gunn has stated that Fotheringham will play a big part in the future of this club, so he is unlikely to drop him however poor he plays.  I have said on many occasions that your Captain has to be one of your better players on the field and Fotheringham certainly doesn''t fit the bill.

I am waiting for Gunn to come out and say that he will stick with the players that have got us in this predicament.  The sad thing is that we have a toothless midfield without Clingan, as was proved today with Russell and Fotheringham.  Russell barely got a mention apart from his trademark gloves, and that was his second successive poor game.  We are not going to get out of this mess with those two in the centre of our midfield and the sooner Gunn realises that then we still have a chance.  Assuming Clingan is fit next week he should be partnered with Gow in midfield.

Just back from Preston, and I can say that Fozzy looked one of the better players out there and had as many attempts on goal as any of the "strikers"...but when all is said and done he could do a lot more to inspire those around him. Its as if when he gets ''passionate'', his skill level (what!!!) drops significantly. Today, he had a reasonable game, but there were the all to familiar pass back or pass along the line when he could have simply turned goalward and ran. He did this on a couple of occasions and I think surprised himself how far he got, getting, unfortunately, wide and deflected shots off.

He is definitely not the complete package for captain of this club, but who is?

I rate him. Last 3/4 games he has been playin well again. From what i heard on the "wireless" today he was as good as anyone. Especially the dire Russell, who for 3/4 games has been shocking. Imagine if this had been Fozzy?!

The last 3 managers have all played him, all 3 have made him captain after seeing him, day in day out, something more than some of the judges on here have seen.

He aint one of those players that will win all the plaudits. But he is a player who gives 100%, rarely loses the ball (keeps possession arguably better than anyone we have.) and has a part to play.

Again Brizzle last week he was the one player to take some responsibility and want to get on the ball. No coincidence that when he came on we starting keeping the ball is it.....

Tin hat on [:)]

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]

Just back from Preston, and I can say that Fozzy looked one of the better players out there and had as many attempts on goal as any of the "strikers"...but when all is said and done he could do a lot more to inspire those around him. Its as if when he gets ''passionate'', his skill level (what!!!) drops significantly. Today, he had a reasonable game, but there were the all to familiar pass back or pass along the line when he could have simply turned goalward and ran. He did this on a couple of occasions and I think surprised himself how far he got, getting, unfortunately, wide and deflected shots off.

[/quote]

I can quite honestly say I can count on one hand the number of good games this guy has had for the club!, Hooleyfan and your last quote hardly champions his cause!.

Clingan would be a better captain, Stefanovic (if fit), Doc and hate to say it would rather not have a designated captain if he is the best we could come up with...... 

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

I rate him. Last 3/4 games he has been playin well again. From what i heard on the "wireless" today he was as good as anyone. Especially the dire Russell, who for 3/4 games has been shocking. Imagine if this had been Fozzy?!

The last 3 managers have all played him, all 3 have made him captain after seeing him, day in day out, something more than some of the judges on here have seen.

He aint one of those players that will win all the plaudits. But he is a player who gives 100%, rarely loses the ball (keeps possession arguably better than anyone we have.) and has a part to play.

Again Brizzle last week he was the one player to take some responsibility and want to get on the ball. No coincidence that when he came on we starting keeping the ball is it.....

[/quote]  I will admit that Fotheringham has improved lately, but he is still a long way off from being a good captain.  Personally I hope that Gunn will partner Clingan with Gow in midfield as both these players like to go forward.  I don''t know how many times I heard Neil Adams say today that there was no support from midfield when we broke away, and had chances to put the ball in the middle.

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]

[/quote]

I can quite honestly say I can count on one hand the number of good games this guy has had for the club!, Hooleyfan and your last quote hardly champions his cause!.

Clingan would be a better captain, Stefanovic (if fit), Doc and hate to say it would rather not have a designated captain if he is the best we could come up with...... 

Just back from Preston and agree Fozzy had one of his better games which doesn''t say much I agree.

One of many problems on the pitch, is the lack of an obvious leader. I see no one who is guiding or encouraging players. I fear there is not one natural leader in the squad. Clingon could be but i think it might effect his game and anyway the club have politely informed us he''s being sold at the end of the season - so that''s alright then!

Truly another yo-yo season, but I fear this may be the last.  Having had a number of false dawns...like Lita and then Gunny taking over, but after seeing the performance today, I believe our ''string'' is well and truly limp and dangling and other than another of the bottom clubs having as bad a time as us, I am gearing myself to 3rd tier football next season

As I''ve said before, I think the guy has got some good touches and wants to try to play the game the right way but he just doesn''t worry the opposition or hurt them enough.

To play in central midfield and as captain you''d really like him to be able to split defences open with a bit of vision, or carry the ball 30 or 40 yards with a bit of pace and power. But all the guy can really do at this level is to try and win it and then if he does he plays it sideways and back, which is too easy to play against. You''d want someone who can drive the team forward.

He''d be a decent player to have on the bench but I''d really like us to get someone in alongside Clingan who can do some damage.

Fotheringhams been poor this season but is not as bad as what some make him out to be!

You need a squad and he is a good squad player at the least. You notice this more when considering some of the cr*p loan players we''ve had!

He isn''t captain material though!

Not a good squad player - he delivers nothing (as captain or otherwise) and can give no options when coming off the bench. He has to go at the end of the season - a typical Div 2 player. I am gutted that our standard is such that this individual gets a game!!

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

[/quote]

Gutsy post and some good points. I think where Fozzy has lost a lot of support is in the games when he doesn''t look after the ball as well as he can. On-form he''s a good player at Championship-level. But when he has a bad game, he usually has a total stinker, and that''s when he becomes a liability. Personally I don''t think he''s consistent enough to warrant the permanent place in the team that a captain needs. But to be fair the only regularly consistent players are Clingan, Crofty, Doc and Matty Patty, and of them only Sammy has leadership skills. Hopefully next season will see Sammy or Dejan take the armband.