Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Gunn has driven last two nails in our coffin...

All this talk of the Shackell - Doc partnership may have some truth, but would you rather have 2 centre backs who are primarily centre backs or someone whos just "Filling In?" We''ve got what we''ve got now, and let us hope that it will do us some good. I agree with Nexus, when we appointed Gunn, we didn''t expect to win every game, and be fair to him, hes doing his best, and hes done what he can to help the club "He Loves!" Thats another part of the mix you have to consider, he loves this club, and knows everything inside it inside out. He hasn''t been in charge long, so why are people already critising every move he makes?

The Barnsley win gave the board the easy opportunity to go for the cheap, temporary option and they took it with both hands. Writing wass on the wall as soon as Munby starting going on about "bleeding yellow and green!"

[quote user="Jim Smith"]The Barnsley win gave the board the easy opportunity to go for the cheap, temporary option and they took it with both hands. Writing wass on the wall as soon as Munby starting going on about "bleeding yellow and green!"[/quote]

Agreed Jim , its the cheap option everytime with Smith and Co.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]The Barnsley win gave the board the easy opportunity to go for the cheap, temporary option and they took it with both hands. Writing wass on the wall as soon as Munby starting going on about "bleeding yellow and green!"[/quote]

[/quote]

Jim, Wiz - you two really crack me up with with your non stop moanathon. We are in this mess because of a lack of continuity stretching back to the promotion season. In this the board are plainly culpable but for me the appointment of Gunn may turn out to be a masterstroke. We tried the experienced manager route with Roeder and we know how that went. We tried the highly regarded but untried coach route with Grant - and no more! Now you seemed to suggest getting someone else in at great expense who would have to be either a failure sacked by another club (Boothroyd, Ince, Dowie) or someone much further down the League who would consider what looks like a team heading for Div 1 a step up - Blue Square League anyone.

Now why I consider that Gunn may be a masterstroke. Firstly, having quickly built a team around himself of guys who hold the club dear it already looks like stability is the aim. We are not even certain what Gunn the manager does, does he pick the team, the tactics or just send them out with a pat on the back. Is he just a figurehead and does it really matter? I don''t think so because I am not burdened by your messiah complex in that we can get anyone in who can turn this round in an instant.

It will take time to turn this round (though if we survive this year it will help) and we may have to say goodbye to Croft and Clingan. But we need guys who will last more than a year, who can bring through kids from the youth set-up, backfill the loans with the kind of steady unspectacular signings that other CCC teams build from and BUILD A TEAM.

That I think is what Gunn brings to the party.

[quote user="BigFish"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

Jim, Wiz - you two really crack me up with with your non stop moanathon. We are in this mess because of a lack of continuity stretching back to the promotion season. In this the board are plainly culpable but for me the appointment of Gunn may turn out to be a masterstroke. We tried the experienced manager route with Roeder and we know how that went. We tried the highly regarded but untried coach route with Grant - and no more! Now you seemed to suggest getting someone else in at great expense who would have to be either a failure sacked by another club (Boothroyd, Ince, Dowie) or someone much further down the League who would consider what looks like a team heading for Div 1 a step up - Blue Square League anyone.

Now why I consider that Gunn may be a masterstroke. Firstly, having quickly built a team around himself of guys who hold the club dear it already looks like stability is the aim. We are not even certain what Gunn the manager does, does he pick the team, the tactics or just send them out with a pat on the back. Is he just a figurehead and does it really matter? I don''t think so because I am not burdened by your messiah complex in that we can get anyone in who can turn this round in an instant.

It will take time to turn this round (though if we survive this year it will help) and we may have to say goodbye to Croft and Clingan. But we need guys who will last more than a year, who can bring through kids from the youth set-up, backfill the loans with the kind of steady unspectacular signings that other CCC teams build from and BUILD A TEAM.

[/quote]

In your well written post Fish, you mention rebuilding, I fail to see how thats possible when  loanees are the norm at City.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="BigFish"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

In your well written post Fish, you mention rebuilding, I fail to see how thats possible when  loanees are the norm at City.

[/quote]

Fair point Wiz, I agree, there can be no long term improvement until permies are the basis of the team (and then we can ice the cake with a Hux/Crouch scenario).