Sign in to follow this  
chippy savory

David Marshall

Just wondering what people think of david marshall. Although he has made some excellent saves and kept us in games, he has made to many mistakes this season which is costing us points. i think now is the time stuart nelson or declan rudd get their chance.

otbc

Bring back Hucks 

Marshalls been good enough for me although I''ll confess hes made mistakes. Thing is with a keeper is when they make a mistake is more than likely going to be costly, like Marshalls mistake on Saturday which cost us the game!

Bring back Hucks - Couldn''t agree more!

[quote user="chippy savory"]

Just wondering what people think of david marshall. Although he has made some excellent saves and kept us in games, he has made to many mistakes this season which is costing us points. i think now is the time stuart nelson or declan rudd get their chance.

otbc

Bring back Hucks 

[/quote]

I think only Norwich fans who have seen DM over his many games can comment in detail on this but I do feel your reserve set up is weak.  Orient fans were astonished when you bought Nelson and so was I - for quite a long time he couldn''t make their reserve squad.  I think you''ve been very lucky that Marshall has stayed injury free. 

I''ve only seen DM for 90 minutes in one game (Sheffield defeat last season) and I wasn''t impressed by that but like all keepers he can have bad games like any other player on the pitch. 

Did any of you notice by the way that a player you were once linked with, Dean Windass, took over in goal for Oldham in their last game (no keeper on the bench) and played an absolute blinder?

Dean: "Third time I''ve taken over in goal I think.  Only ever let one in."

I have seen the comments that DM does not command his area and, if those are correct, I think he should.  It''s just as important as the proverbial "shot shopping".  If you get the command bit right you sometimes have to do less shot shopping particularly from corners and set pieces .  Snapshots are down to the keeper - set pieces should be under his command and, wherever possible, organised by the keeper.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="chippy savory"]

otbc

Bring back Hucks 

[/quote]

I think only Norwich fans who have seen DM over his many games can comment in detail on this but I do feel your reserve set up is weak.  Orient fans were astonished when you bought Nelson and so was I - for quite a long time he couldn''t make their reserve squad.  I think you''ve been very lucky that Marshall has stayed injury free. 

I''ve only seen DM for 90 minutes in one game (Sheffield defeat last season) and I wasn''t impressed by that but like all keepers he can have bad games like any other player on the pitch. 

Did any of you notice by the way that a player you were once linked with, Dean Windass, took over in goal for Oldham in their last game (no keeper on the bench) and played an absolute blinder?

Dean: "Third time I''ve taken over in goal I think.  Only ever let one in."

I have seen the comments that DM does not command his area and, if those are correct, I think he should.  It''s just as important as the proverbial "shot shopping".  If you get the command bit right you sometimes have to do less shot shopping particularly from corners and set pieces .  Snapshots are down to the keeper - set pieces should be under his command and, wherever possible, organised by the keeper.

[/quote]whilst communication is important , you must consider who he has to organise, tweedle dee and tweedle dum at centre back most of the time...that said, he has a good link with doherty but he cant organise his full backs etc...he is too quiet yeshe isnt confident coming for crosses (despite keepers being protected by ref whenever there is contact)BUThe is a great shot stoppergood positioningand reliable. but as people say, a keeper gets remembered for their mistakes and not their victories.

We should have sold Marshall when he actually had some value. Instead we waited, sold the most promising keeper in England (who is now valued at £3/5m) for £500k. Let Marshall develop into a large bag of crap to the point that we probably couldnt give him away. We should have cashed in and bought a striker when we had a chance. I said all this back then. Now he is worth nothing. Well done board once more. What a bunch of turds you are.

i think hes prob one of the most over rated Norwich players in recent years average to bad as a GK every week i see great saves from opposition GKs and a series of mistakes from marshall, preston, s''hampton, bristol, wolves ....... have we ever had it before or GK''s used to be the pride of norwich

[quote user="TheCanaryFan"] Instead we waited, sold the most promising keeper in England (who is now valued at £3/5m) for £500k.[/quote]Who''s that then? You''re not seriously telling me Joe Lewis is valued at 3 - 5 mil are you?

B*llocks! You can learn to command the penalty  area. You can''t learn to make great saves. He has excellent foundations to be our keeper for years to come- another hero, dare I say it. As grantroeder... says, everyone sees and remembers your mistakes if you''re a keeper. He''s only 23 - he could be playing for another 15 years or more - how about a bit of support for one of the team members with real promise?Scotland''s no. 1!

[quote user="TheCanaryFan"]We should have sold Marshall when he actually had some value. Instead we waited, sold the most promising keeper in England (who is now valued at £3/5m) for £500k. Let Marshall develop into a large bag of crap to the point that we probably couldnt give him away. We should have cashed in and bought a striker when we had a chance. I said all this back then. Now he is worth nothing. Well done board once more. What a bunch of turds you are.[/quote]

Joe Lewis is only rated at £3.5m by Bazza (and I tell you, gal, at that he''s a ****** snip (pardon my language, gal).  A large section of the Posh would prefer Tyler (a Norwich lad) back in goal.[:)]

Mr Lewis has spoken openly of the crowd hostility......................

[:|]

Not the hero that he was at Morecambe.

Brilliant goalkeeping at both ends Morecambe v Lincoln (Roche/Burch) - a thrilling League Two game if any amongst you can imagine a thrilling League Two game[+o(]

1-1 a fair result but very good keeping both ends made that.  Gave each other a big hug at the end - both knew they had got a point for their side.[:D]

getting rid of joe lewis was a terrible mistake ..

(one of many roeder blunders) ..

as i said a long time ago , and i think gunny would have done is loaned the lad out for a season , i think he would be better than marshall .

not that i think marshall is a bad keeper , some of the goals he has let in have been simple for alot of other good keepers .

seems strange , i know we have had alot of players leave since green has left , but we have been in freefall since then .

lets hope if we stay up , gunny being the fantastic keeper he was and the man in charge, hopefully will find another star to put in goal (as it is norwich tradition to have quality keepers).

a very young chris woods would be gratefull .. or a gunny..!!!

and a healthy profit for marshall !!

Theres not many better in league maybe Westwood and Hennessey.

Overall he has probably made us more points than he has lost us. Just that Keepers mistakes go noticed more. He is also still very young and our biggest asset.

I like him.

Marshall veers from the brilliant to the downright awful.  However, to give him the benefit of the doubt, he is young and even Gunny made some serious clangers when he first joined us.  I''d still have him in goal right now rather than Nelson, while Rudd just isn''t ready yet.  We all know Lewis shouldn''t have been sold, but there''s not much we can do about that now. 

Can''t afford too many more mistakes like Saturday''s though.

Marshall is just not good enough if we want to be a successful side. If we''re happy fighting for out Championship lives though, then he''s at the right level.He makes too many mistakes and lets too many under his body/through his legs.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

Theres not many better in league maybe Westwood and Hennessey.

Overall he has probably made us more points than he has lost us. Just that Keepers mistakes go noticed more. He is also still very young and our biggest asset.

I like him.

[/quote]

From what i''ve seen of Hennessey he is over rated to. Doesn''t command his box either and wont ever come for a cross. Too small to be a top, international keeper

I suspect that Marshall has broken even - the number of points lost from errors more or less balance the number gained from great shot stopping.So there are two questions: (For the moment I don''t consider Rudd)1) Does the fallibility of Marshall have an adverse effect on the defence? If so this could tip the balance.2) Does Nelson have greater consistency and concentration? If so, he may worth a try.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="TheCanaryFan"]We should have sold Marshall when he actually had some value. Instead we waited, sold the most promising keeper in England (who is now valued at £3/5m) for £500k. Let Marshall develop into a large bag of crap to the point that we probably couldnt give him away. We should have cashed in and bought a striker when we had a chance. I said all this back then. Now he is worth nothing. Well done board once more. What a bunch of turds you are.[/quote]

Joe Lewis is only rated at £3.5m by Bazza (and I tell you, gal, at that he''s a ****** snip (pardon my language, gal).  A large section of the Posh would prefer Tyler (a Norwich lad) back in goal.[:)]

Mr Lewis has spoken openly of the crowd hostility......................

[:|]

Not the hero that he was at Morecambe.

Brilliant goalkeeping at both ends Morecambe v Lincoln (Roche/Burch) - a thrilling League Two game if any amongst you can imagine a thrilling League Two game[+o(]

1-1 a fair result but very good keeping both ends made that.  Gave each other a big hug at the end - both knew they had got a point for their side.[:D]

[/quote]

If that''s true, he might back on loan rather sooner that later [:)]

[quote user="Salopian"]I suspect that Marshall has broken even - the number of points lost from errors more or less balance the number gained from great shot stopping.

So there are two questions: (For the moment I don''t consider Rudd)
1) Does the fallibility of Marshall have an adverse effect on the defence? If so this could tip the balance.

2) Does Nelson have greater consistency and concentration? If so, he may worth a try.

[/quote]

Or vice versa point 1....ould you want to play behind our defence?

Overall I think he has been oneof our best players this season,  yes he has made mistakes but overall he has been pretty sound and kept us in many games.

He ability to deal; with crosses and his kicking does need to improve but he is good for this league.

Marshall is crap. Massively overrated. Can''t catch, doesn''t come out when he should, comes out when he shouldn''t, cant kick, doesn''t organise/talk to defence, doesn''t throw it out quick enough when players are in space, I could go on. Apart from that he''s o.k. Wake up people. Name a goal keeper that isn''t a good shot stopper? The longer he''s in the squad the more points he will cost us. A confident keeper with the ability to instill confidence in the back four would also iliminate errors from defenders who feel nervous with him behind them. Ship him out he''s crap!!!!!

Good goalkeepers are quite often similar to good referees. You don''t notice them! Goalkeeping is about being consistant, about being able to organise those around you, about good decision making and about giving confidence to your team. Shot stoppers, who may look good in some peoples eyes, are perhaps forced into making saves because they have not been good enough to do the things mentioned before. This is why goalkeepers seem to improve with age until they hit peak at 30+? The flying saves are the bonuses for a team. Get all the basics right first ........ and I''m afraid at the moment this is where Mr. Marshall lets himself down too often.

Good shot stopper, but that doesn''t make a good goalkeeper. Clearly unable to command area, leaves too many decisions to defenders who do not seem to have much confidence in him. Poor catcher of the ball -corners and set pieces invariably spread panic. Distribution at best modest. Last goalkeeper we had who wanted the ball and was determined to come out and make it his was Camp.

Stuart Nelson is here for one reason and one reason only, he is adaquite to sit on the bench. He is NOT capable of playing regular first team football, if he was...he wouldnt be at Norwich bench warming. To back this up, Stuart was released by Brentford and left Leyton Orient by mutual consent. He couldnt cut first team football at these clubs, therefore i highly doubt he can dish out world class games for Norwich,

[quote user="TheCanaryFan"]We should have sold Marshall when he actually had some value. Instead we waited, sold the most promising keeper in England (who is now valued at £3/5m) for £500k. Let Marshall develop into a large bag of crap to the point that we probably couldnt give him away. We should have cashed in and bought a striker when we had a chance. I said all this back then. Now he is worth nothing. Well done board once more. What a bunch of turds you are.[/quote]Jesus wept, just wtf are you on? You''re talking absolute bol locks. Did someone take a slash in your tea this morning you cheery sod?The most promising keeper in England? Says you? boll ocksValued at 3-5mn? Again, bol locks.. Marshall a bag of crap? Says you again? Yet more bolloc ksWorth nothing? BOLLO CKSffs, must I go on? there''s not one single point of value in your post. It0s just a childish rant containing nothing more than total bollo cksYou''d think our manager, who was once a goalkeeper of note, might just realise if Marshall was "a bag of crap as you so neatly describe him. But hey, what does he know compared to your marvellous perception of the art of goalkeeping? 

Marshall, like Greeno before him, is still young and is learning some hard lessons with us. However, he is already a great goalkeeper at this level, and has the potential to be one of the best we''ve ever had. Even Gunny dropped some clangers, particularly when he started out with us.

Persistence and patience needed, the boy''s worth it.

[quote user="BIC"][quote user="TheCanaryFan"]We should have sold Marshall when he actually had some value. Instead we waited, sold the most promising keeper in England (who is now valued at £3/5m) for £500k. Let Marshall develop into a large bag of crap to the point that we probably couldnt give him away. We should have cashed in and bought a striker when we had a chance. I said all this back then. Now he is worth nothing. Well done board once more. What a bunch of turds you are.[/quote]

Jesus wept, just wtf are you on? You''re talking absolute bol locks. Did someone take a slash in your tea this morning you cheery sod?

The most promising keeper in England? Says you? boll ocks
Valued at 3-5mn? Again, bol locks..
Marshall a bag of crap? Says you again? Yet more bolloc ks
Worth nothing? BOLLO CKS

ffs, must I go on? there''s not one single point of value in your post. It0s just a childish rant containing nothing more than total bollo cks

You''d think our manager, who was once a goalkeeper of note, might just realise if Marshall was "a bag of crap as you so neatly describe him. But hey, what does he know compared to your marvellous perception of the art of goalkeeping? 

[/quote]

Thanks for saving me the time of posting something similar BIC,  I don''t bother reading TCF drivel anymore (he''s like a kid that wasn''t bought what he wanted for Christmas!)

I think most people chose to pick out all of his faults and mistakes, and forget about the games where he pulls off a series of great saves which result in us gaining points rather than losing them! Like the one on one save VS Birmingham against one of the best strikers in the league,  Kevin Phillips.

On the whole I think he is a rough diamond, at 23, who can only get better and better!

I remember when a lot of fans moaned about Greeno''s kicking. To the point where fans booed him! Didn''t he get his second cap for England

[quote user="BIC"][quote user="TheCanaryFan"]We should have sold Marshall when he actually had some value. Instead we waited, sold the most promising keeper in England (who is now valued at £3/5m) for £500k. Let Marshall develop into a large bag of crap to the point that we probably couldnt give him away. We should have cashed in and bought a striker when we had a chance. I said all this back then. Now he is worth nothing. Well done board once more. What a bunch of turds you are.[/quote]

Jesus wept, just wtf are you on? You''re talking absolute bol locks. Did someone take a slash in your tea this morning you cheery sod?

Worth nothing? BOLLO CKS

ffs, must I go on? there''s not one single point of value in your post. It0s just a childish rant containing nothing more than total bollo cks

You''d think our manager, who was once a goalkeeper of note, might just realise if Marshall was "a bag of crap as you so neatly describe him. But hey, what does he know compared to your marvellous perception of the art of goalkeeping? 

[/quote]

Thanks for saving me the time of posting something similar BIC,  I don''t bother reading TCF drivel anymore (he''s like a kid that wasn''t bought what he wanted for Christmas!)

I think most people chose to pick out all of his faults and mistakes, and forget about the games where he pulls off a series of great saves which result in us gaining points rather than losing them! Like the one on one save VS Birmingham against one of the best strikers in the league,  Kevin Phillips.

On the whole I think he is a rough diamond, at 23, who can only get better and better!

I remember when a lot of fans moaned about Greeno''s kicking. To the point where fans booed him! Didn''t he get his second cap for England last

Worth nothing? BOLLO CKS

[/quote]

I remember when a lot of fans moaned about Greeno''s kicking. To the point where fans booed him! Didn''t he get his second cap for England last night?!