Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

The BBC predictor has spoke....SAFETY!!

Its that time of year again!

I wasted 20 mins of my life and tried to predict the outcome of all the games left. I wasnt to fussed about the scores, more the outcome and the news is good....i hope!

We finish on 45 pts thats 2 pts from safety. Our points come against Coventry (3) Blackpool (1) Cardiff (1) Plymouth (3) Sheff Wed (3) Watford (1) and Ipswich (1).

This as we know makes our home games VVVVV important as the only away points come from 2 games (2pts) Blackpool and Ipswich.

What was interesting was seeing which games in hand the other 2 main teams teams have.

Barnsley - Sheff W (A) Sheff Utd (A) - 2 derby games.

Watford - Swansea (H) Cardiff (A) Southampton (H) - 3 tough fixtures, realistically with an outcome of only 3 pts.

Here is my table:

17 - Forest - 48pts

18 - Watford - 47pts

19 - CITY - 45pts

20 - B''pool - 45pts

21 - Soton - 43pts

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

22 - Plymouth - 43pts

23 - Barnsley - 38pts

24 - Charlton - 34pts.

Lets hope it comes true!

Have a go at : http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/predictor/default.stm

I  fancy Charlton to escape , take a look at their run in and it has to be the easiest of all .

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

Its that time of year again!

I wasted 20 mins of my life and tried to predict the outcome of all the games left. I wasnt to fussed about the scores, more the outcome and the news is good....i hope!

We finish on 45 pts thats 2 pts from safety. Our points come against Coventry (3) Blackpool (1) Cardiff (1) Plymouth (3) Sheff Wed (3) Watford (1) and Ipswich (1).

This as we know makes our home games VVVVV important as the only away points come from 2 games (2pts) Blackpool and Ipswich.

What was interesting was seeing which games in hand the other 2 main teams teams have.

Barnsley - Sheff W (A) Sheff Utd (A) - 2 derby games.

Watford - Swansea (H) Cardiff (A) Southampton (H) - 3 tough fixtures, realistically with an outcome of only 3 pts.

Here is my table:

17 - Forest - 48pts

18 - Watford - 47pts

19 - CITY - 45pts

20 - B''pool - 45pts

21 - Soton - 43pts

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

22 - Plymouth - 43pts

23 - Barnsley - 38pts

24 - Charlton - 34pts.

Lets hope it comes true!

Have a go at : http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/predictor/default.stm

[/quote]sorry to disapoint you but watford play all 10 teams in the bottom 11.Unless all these games are draws your prediction can''t come true

[quote user="Dictator Smith"]I  fancy Charlton to escape , take a look at their run in and it has to be the easiest of all .
[/quote]Take a look at watfords and change your mind

Your forecast relies upon the following:

1. The threshold for safety being much lower than it has for any other recent season.

2.Us picking up 13 points from 12 games (current average 0.97 is lower)

3. Plymouth picking up 8 points from 14 games (current average 1.19 is higher)

4. Barnsely picking uop 6 points from 16 games (current average 1.09 is higher)

5. Charlton picking up 9 points from 14 games (current average 0.78 is higher)

For your scenario to come true, we would need to improve our current average points per game whilst the other three achieve a propsective points score way out of alignment from their current average. History normally tells us that many teams at the bottom start to increase their points as relegation becomes an increasing possibility (Barnsley have a track record of this and Doncaster appear to be doing it now). I think Blackpool are out of it personally, although history suggests a mid table team getting sucked in to the fight.

Clearly the home games aganist Plymouth/Watford and the away game at Chralton could be really critical. Win all three of these and think we will be safe. Lose all three would probably mean relegation.

>Your forecast relies upon the following:

1. The threshold for safety being much lower than it has for any other recent season.

Actually, in the last 5 seasons the surviving team (and the points tally goes as follows):

Coventry - 53

Hull - 49 (could have survived on 43)

QPR - 50 (could have survived on 43)

Crewe - 50 (survived by goal diff)

Gillingham - 51 (survived by goal diff)

So 45 points COULD be enough...

barnsley play charlton,plymouth,watford and forest as well as derby and coventry how on earth can they fail to pick up more tha 6 points from these games alone.Look at all the teams run in''s they are all easier than ours!

Jetstream,

I stand corrected, but even so, the odds that the bottom eight teams all finsih with points totals below 49 points has got be fairly slim. Like other posts above, I assume that the OP has preditced lots of draws between these teams whereas more wins would result in more teams getting above the magic 50 points, which seems to be the safety point in most seasons.

I did the same predictor and left it with the last game to play,  we were outside the relegation positions but the final day contains Charlton v Norwich and Plymouth v Barnsley all who could be relegated !Just couldn''t bring myself to predict that last day !     

Desert Fox,

I agree, the margin is more likely to be nearer 50 points than 45 - and the rest of your post sums the problem up neatly.

If results go badly for them, there''s always the chance that Southampton will go into administration and take the 10-point deduction now, not next season.

All in all, there''s a few too many games left to make accurate predictions yet....

NCFCstar,

Your prediction just goes to show how difficult the prediction business is. For us to get 56 points now would mean 24 points in 13 games. This is a ratio 1.85 per game which is safely top six form. I assume that if you were to re do this now it would look a bit different. For example, Doncaster appear to eb heading for mid-table safety fast.

I think we''ll beat Burnley on Saturday, we always do better against the better teams.  We''ll probably get a draw against Coventry and lose to Plymouth.Either way, whatever happens is out of our control with the exception of providing one hell of a hostile atmosphere for opposing teams and not the damp squid that''s been served up in recent games.

Its not worth predicting, the beauty of the Championship is its unpredictability!

I do know however that Norwich will have to learn soon how to win ugly football, and win crucial games.

I have us finishing two points above the drop despite a last day defeat to Charlton.

It looks like a tight finish for all though, and I ended up with ten teams all finishing within 4 points of the bottom three.

I think we will stay up because I hold to the belief that we are improving and that we will start winning games beginning this weekend and, perhaps more importantly, looking at the fixtures of the other teams around us it seems logical that they will fail. I believe that we will end up 19th ahead of Watford, Barnsley, Southampton, Charlton and Plymouth.

The last day of the season looks very tatsy in terms of six pointers:

Charlton vs Norwich

Forest vs Southampton

Plymouth vs Barnsley

Watford vs Derby

If the table is as close as it is shaping up to be, any of these that become three points could make a huge difference.

Sat and did this on Tuesday whilst watch SSN - I allowed for the Tuesday scores so we were in the bottom 3 when I did this - and we ended up 16th (honestly tried to be unbias) Just to put all your minds at rest we are now 1 point ahead of schedule after the draw against Burnley - I had us to lose 0-2.

By the way it''s nip and tuck for the next few weeks but we won''t be going into the last game needing points.

So we are on track. Keep em goin'' Gunny.